Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Thinking about getting one in 308 -anybody here have one or have a friend with one ?

I saw a youtube shot show vid -says they are dipped finish on the stock - how do dipped stocks hold up over time ?
Do they scratch easily ?

What weight can the trigger generally be adjusted down to on the Kimbers ?

Using talley lightweight rings --do the extra lows work with 32mm objective lens scopes ?

Thanks for any help -Mike

Going back to finish reading a Montana Kimber thread -lots of great info. -and some fighting with TAK.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I haven't handled one, but I would be concerned that it would be a little muzzle light for off hand shooting.

It would be a cool rifle in 338F or 358win ( not that it isn;t cool in 7mm08 and 308.)

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
noKnees ,

The Adirondack has several ounces taken off the bolt so I was thinking it might feel pretty close to the Montana that has a 4" longer barrel .
I'm interested in this rifle as a thick brush stalking rifle -stand hunting rifle and still be able to reach out there a fair bit.

I agree on the 338F and 358win -I've always wanted to try each of those cartridges.
Thanks bud...

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I think the barrel is too short. The Montana and Mountain Ascent are just fine for light rifles, and for the price you could buy the latter and have the barrel cut if you really want that short nose.

Gun control means hitting your target.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Thinking about getting one in 308 -anybody here have one or have a friend with one ?

I saw a youtube shot show vid -says they are dipped finish on the stock - how do dipped stocks hold up over time ?
Do they scratch easily ?

What weight can the trigger generally be adjusted down to on the Kimbers ?

Using talley lightweight rings --do the extra lows work with 32mm objective lens scopes ?

Thanks for any help -Mike

Going back to finish reading a Montana Kimber thread -lots of great info. -and some fighting with TAK.

I have one of the skinnier titanium bolt handles on my Montana, and the handle still drags on the eyepiece with the Talley extra lows. 32mm objective will work....but the eyepiece is usually the problem with the extra lows.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
257heaven ,

Which scope do you have ?

hdk182 ,

The rifle might not be perfect but when walking through brush and under limbs with a rifle that sticks up higher than my head -catching the barrel on one after the next gets real old.
I have a couple of model sevens with 18 1/2" barrels and they are a joy to carry -I can tell a difference between them and a 21" barrel rifle I have. Just thinking about trying a different rifle and getting peoples thoughts so thanks.

Posted by Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The rifle might not be perfect but when walking through brush and under limbs with a rifle that sticks up higher than my head -catching the barrel on one after the next gets real old.

Carry the rifle slung muzzle down.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Carry the rifle slung muzzle down.
My question would be why is it even slung? I carry mine in my hands.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't like a loaded rifle aimed at my calves and feet and not having a round in the chamber doesn't work for me. When trying to carry a rifle muzzle down with the buttstock hung in front of my shoulder it constantly wants to fall off and swings around a lot when bending over ducking under limbs.
The reason I sling a rifle is because I have hold vines -brush and limbs back out of the way as I make my way through the florida jungle.
I also glass down swamp creeks as I move through -so I have small binos in hand.
I do carry a rifle in hand when possible.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
257heaven ,

hdk182 ,

I have a couple of model sevens with 18 1/2" barrels and they are a joy to carry -I can tell a difference between them and a 21" barrel rifle I have. Just thinking about trying a different rifle and getting peoples thoughts so thanks.

Swaro Z3....and I measured the eyepiece and it's actually smaller diameter than the Leupold 2.5-8x. I thought the opposite.

I don't care about the handle dragging on the scope.....so I'll probably leave mine.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'd be much more cost effective to just buy a Montana for $900-$1000 and cut the barrel down, add an aluminum trigger guard, and get a TI bolt from Chris84 here on the forum. And then dip it whatever pattern you want besides the hideous digital camo.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah I've found that the mag ring and ocular end of scopes can vary quite a bit.
I have a 1.5x6 bushnell 4200 that has a big high point on the power ring -can barely work the bolt with scope on 4-5-6x.

Posted by Bristoe
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
alaska lanche ,

I'm in the process of getting an XP-100 fitted into a mcmillan stock - I got twisted off with gun tinkering and have had my fill. I'm far more into hunting than ordering stuff online - driving parts to the post office -talking to gunsmiths -putting it all back together -etc. etc..
Sometimes I wish I had never bought a second centerfire rifle -my old 1979 BDL 25-06 would have worked just fine for about everything I've ever hunted.
Piecing things together with all the custom parts and pieces to be had today can be an endless pursuit . A factory rifle is a step towards recovery --I hope.
I actually like the stock on the Adirondack -where I hunt here in florida we have dark bark pine trees -green stuff and white sand in the swamps I hunt so the camo pattern would work pretty good here .
Also I figure the threaded barrel might work out nice during load development by screwing on a break .
So thanks alaska lanche -but I don't want anything for this rifle except a set of talley lows and then choose a scope.
If I have to monkey with the bedding -magazine box -etc. -so be it -then lap the rings and head to the range to work up a load that will shoot about 1.25" group. Then head out hunting.

Anybody know COAL for the Kimbers ?

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
alaska lanche ,

I'm in the process of getting an XP-100 fitted into a mcmillan stock - I got twisted off with gun tinkering and have had my fill. I'm far more into hunting than ordering stuff online - driving parts to the post office -talking to gunsmiths -putting it all back together -etc. etc..
Sometimes I wish I had never bought a second centerfire rifle -my old 1979 BDL 25-06 would have worked just fine for about everything I've ever hunted.
Piecing things together with all the custom parts and pieces to be had today can be an endless pursuit . A factory rifle is a step towards recovery --I hope.
I actually like the stock on the Adirondack -where I hunt here in florida we have dark bark pine trees -green stuff and white sand in the swamps I hunt so the camo pattern would work pretty good here .
Also I figure the threaded barrel might work out nice during load development by screwing on a break .
So thanks alaska lanche -but I don't want anything for this rifle except a set of talley lows and then choose a scope.
If I have to monkey with the bedding -magazine box -etc. -so be it -then lap the rings and head to the range to work up a load that will shoot about 1.25" group. Then head out hunting.

Anybody know COAL for the Kimbers ?

Hey no worries man its your money if you wanna pay $500 more for a heavier rifle be my guest. Simply trying to help, sorry for the suggestion.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Don't over look the part where I thanked you .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No worries man. I totally get it. I wouldn't take on a project like that during hunting season either. I am much more into hunting then gun tweaking as well. But for me big game hunting generally is done by end of Novemeber and doesn't start up again until end of Feb to beginning of March....which gives me a few months to tinker with gun tweaking and working up loads before heading out again looking for things to kill. You likely have longer season down there than up here in AK. Doesn't hog hunting down there go year round? In that case just buy it and rock on.

I can totally appriecate the grab a gun and go mentality. Just figured it might be a slow time of year for you hunting wise as well and if thats the case order a couple parts online, install them (bolt handle and ti bolt handle) and then drop it off at a smith for a weekend to get it cut and recrowned. Its not super involved is all I am saying. But if you like the stock color and don't wanna fiddle with anything then for sure go for it.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep hog hunting goes year round 24/7 day or night they're still hard to kill , it's the wind here that makes it tough.
Hogs have great smell and the constant swirling winds and super dense cover make it tough to get a big old boar.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
257heaven ,

hdk182 ,

I totally get that, hence my comments about saving some $$ on a montana and having the barrel chopped.

I carry my 7-08 Montana IN the Adirondacks and have a easy time with it. Being so light, when I get in the real nasty stuff, I carry it in hand and just point it into or let it follow me depending on the situation. I have one aluminum cap on the front of my scope just for this reason, it works great.

I have the vx-3 with a 32mm obj but not lightweight mounts. The clearance is fine and it is as great a compact a rifle as I could ask for. I also dumped a muley with it at 310yds a couple years ago.

If you would like some pics of the setup I'm happy to upload them.

Whatever you go with, you will have an awesome rifle smile

Gun control means hitting your target.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
When you guys speak of $900 -1000 rifles are you talking used ?

Anybody sell them online for reasonable prices ?

hdk182 ,

Carrying backwards does work good I've did that but forgot to mention.
Lightweight rifles sure do carry in hand nicely.

Posted by Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
257heaven ,

hdk182 ,

Try using a barrel band for the front swivel,the barrel will not stick up near as much.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.