Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RDFinn
In all honestly, I wasn't even really in the market for a new scope but I'd always wanted to get back into the "euro scope" market and along came these Leica's with a solid 4 inches of ER, second focal plane reticle, AquaDura lense coatings and not terribly heavy given the 30mm tube design. Why they priced them so cheap is beyond me as Leica has never been bashful about pricing their products and rightfully so. Maybe because they were " new" to the market or something, but these scopes appear to be typical Leica quality feeling solid and as you would expect, the optics are stunning ! ! !

If I remember correctly they started out a lot more expensive and the price came down when they didn't sell. I bought one and sent it right back based on the reticle, which was different than advertised.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see what you mean as I too would like to see a slightly heavier reticle. I spoke with JB about this and for some reason the new "norm" seems to be these wide duplex type reticles. One thing I did notice though and BobinNH noticed the same thing apparently with his S&B Summit, is that because of their superb optics, the reticle lasts longer than you might otherwise think. John stated on another forum about the reticle and low light and I seem to recall him saying the reticle holds up fine. For this scope, my priorities were 4 inches of ER, hydro type coatings, good reticle, durability and superb optics.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How does the reticle hold up in last light in dark timber or heavy brush country?

Anyone utilizing the BDC turret? Looking for more (specific) feedback on spinning the heck out of the elevation turret...tracking, retaining zero, POA/POI, etc. before breaking out my wallet.

Debating between this and a S&B Klassic with an illuminated L3 or L4 and elevation turret. Hard to find one with a turret, and a heck of a lot more $$$. sick

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a great write up sir and pretty much sums up the Leica w the #1 for low light use. You could hunt that reticle at night. If you're a guy that "pushes" legal hunting regs, the Leica ERi 4a would be killer. Your first reaction was the same as mine regarding the glass.......WOW ! ! ! You could use the darn thing digi-scoping if you don't mind seeing reticles in your pictures.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I can see what you mean as I too would like to see a slightly heavier reticle. I spoke with JB about this and for some reason the new "norm" seems to be these wide duplex type reticles. One thing I did notice though and BobinNH noticed the same thing apparently with his S&B Summit, is that because of their superb optics, the reticle lasts longer than you might otherwise think. John stated on another forum about the reticle and low light and I seem to recall him saying the reticle holds up fine. For this scope, my priorities were 4 inches of ER, hydro type coatings, good reticle, durability and superb optics.

I don't own the Leica but would not mind trying one myself. RD is right about what I observed with the Summit Yes I would like a bit bolder reticle in that scope as well but I have aimed the thing at a lot of deer up to past shooting light and it was only then (dark) that it became an issue at all.

I was talking to JWP475 today about exactly this issue. He has the Summit as well,and said he has had no issues losing the reticle either.

If the optics on the Leica are as good as the Summit(I bet they are given Leica's optics in general) then I see here some reticles I would not hesitate to use.

Those scopes Fost listed impress me as being a steal.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/11/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Anybody compared the plex and the 4 reticle? Thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Matter of fact, I asked Doug @ CameraLand and he said the outter posts are about the same thickness with both reticles.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Does anyone have actual subtension measurements for the plex and 4 reticules?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll do a little pictorial in a new thread. But I'm warning you...it's like so intuitively simple that you'll not be impressed, I'm afraid.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Look forward to seeing it. But you could just post it here so we know where to look.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Reticle sub tensions for the 2.5-10 plex and 4A. All dimensions in inches, low power first, high power second

Between posts: Plex 96.5/24.1 4A 193.7/48.3
Crosshair subtension: Plex 0.55/0.14 4A 0.8/0.2
Post subtension: Plex 5.5/1.4 4A 8.3/2.1

Hope this helps. I have a file for each if anyone is interested. Just PM me your email address.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kicking this old thread back TTT as I ended up buying an ERi 2.5-10x42mm illum. 4a

The glass is excellent and the illuminated dot is good. Haven't had an opportunity yet to mount it up to a rifle. Wondering how robust the scope is. Sick and tired of scopes not holding zero, not tracking correctly (making zeroing an exercise of frustration).

Just curious as to those that have an ER/ERi how reliable it has been. Good set it and forget scope? Any issues with holding zero? POA/POI issues?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had an 3-12x50 ERi scope for several months and regret selling it. I had no issues with zero or tracking. The illumination system is geared towards low light and is one of the very best out there. I currently have en ER5 2-10x50 and like it a lot, though the glass -- while still superb -- has different properties than the ERi series in terms of contrast and color rendition.

I can assure you there is NO need to worry about losing the reticle in this one. Leica was listening, and in this non-illuminated ER5 series, the center wires at 10x measure 0.5" at 100 yards. It is quite bold, and the spacing between the heavy portions is only 36"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used the 3-12x50 ERi w/ 4-a reticle to make my longest moonlight shot on a hog (190 yards).

[Linked Image]

The superb contrast of the ERi also allowed me to take this bobcat, a tough shot in moonlight as the cats always seem to blend in with the terrain.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I recently bought a 2-10x42 ERi with ballistic reticle. I've only had opportunity to mount and sight it in at 100.
The reticle is fine but is set up in mills as are the adjustments and I prefer this over MOA. The illuminated dot is superb.
Mounted on a svelt custom 7-08 which it compliments nicely.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My experience with the 2.5-10X42 ERi was not as stellar. I only tried one out for a few days optically. I have no idea on durability or tracking. I sent mine back because on the lowest power setting the resolution was not good at all except at the very center. I use variables 90% of the time on the lowest setting so this was not acceptable for me.

The scope had the last 1/3rd of the lens so blurry on 2.5 power that I couldn't even read a car license plate at 40 yards through that edge. The center was clear but having a full 1/3 of the lens looking basically like smudged glass was unacceptable to me.

I had the 4a reticle with a turret. The illumination was superb in that it was excellently low in low light. I did think the dot was too large for any long range shooting.

The glass was excellent on all except the lowest power setting and one of the best low light scopes I've had in it's ability to see details in low light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I jumped on the sale at Europtic and picked up the 2.5-10x42 with IBS reticle. The scope hasn’t arrived yet. I’m having a heck of a time finding subtensions for the IBS reticle. I emailed Leica but haven’t heard back.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Slim, that the ER or ERi? If the ER, I might be able to help.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,545
Posts18,531,346
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.