Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The name of Samuel Adams is well known too.

He would roll over in his grave to see what the company has become with their liberal rainbow BS.

Are you referring to Sam Adams beer? If so, I don't think the historical Sam Adams ever had anything to do with that company. As I recall, it was just a name they used for the brew....

That why I said "name"...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Stush
The name of Samuel Adams is well known too.

He would roll over in his grave to see what the company has become with their liberal rainbow BS.

Are you referring to Sam Adams beer? If so, I don't think the historical Sam Adams ever had anything to do with that company. As I recall, it was just a name they used for the brew....

Sam Adams Brewing (officially Boston Beer Company) was founded in 1984 by Jim Koch. One of their beers Utopius (25% alcohol and does not require refrigeration due to the alcohol level) is limited-released once every 2-3 years and costs $200/bottle; very few beer shops even got it and generally only 1 bottle is sold per customer. Following its release, internet prices soar to up to $1000 per bottle.

My son-in-law always manages to get a bottle and it is GOOD!

see: http://gizmodo.com/i-drank-a-200-bottle-of-sam-adams-for-science-1469881907

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not really news for anyone that has delved into the founding fathers much.

Too bad making good whiskey has turned into such a revenue generating and regulated paycheck for the government.

I doubt the founding fathers had that in mind, since they stood for less taxation, and more freedom.

rockinbar;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend has been treating you well thus far.

So putting on my best sarcasm voice - I'd say I'm shocked - yes shocked I tell you - to learn that your great nation was started by any other than teatotalers. laugh

While it may or may not be of more than passing interest to you or any of my 'Fire friends south of the medicine line to learn, our own "Father's of Confederation" were in the main a bunch of semi-sober Scotsmen and Englishmen.

Here's a quick quote from a National Post story about the initial meeting in Prince Edward Island.

"Confederation itself had floated through on waves of free booze. Christopher Moore, in his book 1867: How the Fathers Made a Deal, describes how Ontario and Quebec delegates to the Charlottetown Conference of 1864 showed up with a boatload of hooch and went from one party to another. Small wonder so many of the Fathers of Confederation in Robert Harris�s famous painting are sitting down or appear to be leaning on something."

Our first Prime Minister from what I read could have held his own with your Founding Fathers when it came to imbibing as well.

"It�s also no secret that our first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, was cursed with the unquenchable thirst. But most people don�t realize that many of his opponents were, too."

Anyway sir, please note that I'm not comparing anything more or less here than the alcohol consumption habits of the founders of our respective nations.

It's ironic/funny/strange to read where some of the notions we were otherwise stemmed from and how many folks to this day choose to believe that.

All the best to you in the upcoming week rockinbar.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The drinking of distilled spirits in the founding father's time was due to three reasons. The first was the sanitary condition of water. Since water could not be trusted not to make you sick, people drank alcohol beverages or mixed them with water. The second is the need to preserve foodstuffs. It was a way to preserve grains and turn calories into something that could be stored long term.
The third is why we drink it today, for the entertainment value.

Drinking and being a drunk were two different things back then, but the larger amounts of alcohol consumed is due to the first two reasons, reinforced by the third.

As methods to preserve food and clean water have improved, the need for alcohol consumption drops and heavier consumption is typically an abuse problem with all its attendant problems.

People always try to measure actions and intents of the past with current perceptions, doesn't always apply.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm so glad that wonderful man BC30 isn't a moderator.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

Too bad making good whiskey has turned into such a revenue generating and regulated paycheck for the government.

I doubt the founding fathers had that in mind, since they stood for less taxation, and more freedom.

Huh?

It was Washington that levied the tax and sent soldiers against American civilians. Many of which were revolutionary war veterans.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
George Washington ran the largest distillery in the colonies. History has sanitized the founders to the point that we think they were saints. They weren't. They had the same flaws we have today and to hold them to any other standard is a disservice to them and to history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If so perhaps this country now needs more drunks.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Winston Churchill liked to drink. When he was a young cavalry officer, and went to war in northern Africa, he and his pal had a separate wagon just to transport their booze. Wine, liquor, champagne etc.
Of course the regular field troop could not engage in such luxury, but Churchill was an aristocrat.
During WW2, Churchill would have a big glass of sherry for breakfast, and continue to drink throughout the day. He was more or less drunk every day of the war.

Also, Churchill never exercised, and smoked cigars throughout his life, lived to be about 88 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many of the folks of that time were heroin/opium addicts?

In know in the UK, in the 1800's and early 1900's before heroin was made illegal, it was actually quite a problem, especially in the upper classes..

Chemists sold "heroin tonics", and in the WW1, it wasn't uncommon for family's to send small amounts of heroin to sons/husbands serving in the trenches..

Last edited by Pete E; 01/18/15.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NSFW:

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
I'm so glad that wonderful man BC30 isn't a moderator.

Bob;
laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for the good chuckle this afternoon sir - hopefully this finds you and yours well.

I'm pretty secure in saying you're very likely in a majority position with your sentiments that I'm not a moderator.

While I do appreciate the adjective and kind thoughts attached - please be sure I make heavy use of the backspace bar and the "Preview Post" icon when posting.

As I've often said, it's in real life that I could really, really use something similar before I speak. blush

All the best to you folks this week and thanks again for the laugh.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
idon't know, but I'll paraphase Abraham Lincoln's replay when one of his aides told him that the general he appointed to run the whole Union Army, Ulysses S. Grant had a dirnking problem: If the Founding Fathers were drunks, find out what they were drinking and send a case of it to Obama and every member of Congress!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
idon't know, but I'll paraphase Abraham Lincoln's replay when one of his aides told him that the general he appointed to run the whole Union Army, Ulysses S. Grant had a dirnking problem: If the Founding Fathers were drunks, find out what they were drinking and send a case of it to Obama and every member of Congress!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

In know in the UK, in the 1800's and early 1900's before heroin was made illegal, it was actually quite a problem, especially in the upper classes..

Chemists sold "heroin tonics", and in the WW1, it wasn't uncommon for family's to send small amounts of heroin to sons/husbands serving in the trenches..

So then goverments took on a problem, made it illegal in an attempt to regulate human behaivier, and created a monster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually Grant didnt have a drinking problem....thats mostly bullchit....he drank some in his younger days but by the time he was a General he hardly drank...whole lot of people were below him didnt like him so whenever Grant did something questionable they would start spreading chit that he was a drunk based on what he had done years before, not what he was at that time....

Last edited by rattler; 01/18/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Well actually regs. started with G. Washington and the whiskey rebellion. George didn't like his competition(moonshiners out in the hinterlands) stealing business and not paying the tax put on the sale of liquor so he conscripted a bunch a guys to go kick some hillbilly aZZ.

http://www.mountvernon.org/research-collections/digital-encyclopedia/article/whiskey-rebellion/

AS far as alcohol goes it's been down hill from there.

Exactly.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
[quote=HilhamHawk]
These were men that went to war against the greatest military of the time and won. I would expect them to be hard drinking, hard living men. If they were otherwise we'd still be subjects of the Queen.

I don't think many of them actually fought in the war. It is likely many of those who were on the losing side of the whiskey rebellion did though.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Winston Churchill liked to drink. When he was a young cavalry officer, and went to war in northern Africa, he and his pal had a separate wagon just to transport their booze. Wine, liquor, champagne etc.
Of course the regular field troop could not engage in such luxury, but Churchill was an aristocrat.
During WW2, Churchill would have a big glass of sherry for breakfast, and continue to drink throughout the day. He was more or less drunk every day of the war.

Also, Churchill never exercised, and smoked cigars throughout his life, lived to be about 88 years old.

One quick witted quote, paraphrased here, I always remember as being attributed to WC took place at some formal occasion where the prime minister was rather deep into the cup when he happened upon a very proper, English lady, or she happened upon him:

Lady to WC in proper, English disdain: "why,..mister Churchill, you are drunk!

WC: Yes madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober. You, however, will still be ugly!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E

Same here, but it wasn't a problem. Also, it was almost entirely limited to the upper class people here since it was out of the reach of most any other class due to the cost.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.