Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I'm far from the most experienced handloader, but I have been loading for 14 years or so for a handful of calibers. The first die set I purchased 14 years ago was a Hornady New Dimension in 25-06. It is the only Hornady dies I have. In my very first full length sizing effort, I managed to stick a case. Assumed it was a rookie mistake, maybe associated with the somewhat finicky One Shot case lube. I typically neck size only with LCD, so don't run the length dies that often. Over the years I've stuck 3 or 4 more cases, most recently last week. Every single one of them were in this same Hornady sizing die. I have concluded that it is junk and I ordered a Redding body only die for my 25-06 to replace it.

Am I wrong? Anyone else avoiding Hornady sizing dies?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Link

Nope you are not wrong Junk+p. At least you now have a nice seating die.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
drano, clean the die throughly using brakeclean and a 45 nylon brush. Then shoot the inside w/the spray lube and let DRY. After that use Imperial sizing die wax only. You will really like the body die but you also need something to size the neck. I use Redding w/a combo of body and neck dies (2) for my Swift (body only as needed).- Muddy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Nope you aren't wrong, they are not good. Gave up on em 25 years ago.

Swifty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by drano 25
I'm far from the most experienced handloader, but I have been loading for 14 years or so for a handful of calibers. The first die set I purchased 14 years ago was a Hornady New Dimension in 25-06. It is the only Hornady dies I have. In my very first full length sizing effort, I managed to stick a case. Assumed it was a rookie mistake, maybe associated with the somewhat finicky One Shot case lube. I typically neck size only with LCD, so don't run the length dies that often. Over the years I've stuck 3 or 4 more cases, most recently last week. Every single one of them were in this same Hornady sizing die. I have concluded that it is junk and I ordered a Redding body only die for my 25-06 to replace it.

I have had zero issues with Hornady dies.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've found Hornady FL size dies to be the tightest of those I've tried, sometimes excessively so.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've used many hornady dies in many cartridges for 30 years with no problems , guess I'm lucky or maybe .........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't speak to ones three decades old.

Last edited by mathman; 01/09/15. Reason: accuracy
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have some of the newest "zip spins" too . I do like the older smooth stems better though

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Link

Nope you are not wrong Junk+p. At least you now have a nice seating die.

I ordered a Forster Ultra seating die as well. No real issues with the seater. The micrometer isn't very accurate, but it was pretty repeatable. Concentricity of rounds is good. Will probably just sell the seater. I love the Forster seaters.

Muddy, I am using a Lee Collet Die for the neck. The combo of the Redding body die, Lee Collet neck die and Forster Ultra seater has become my favorite 'die set'.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
drano- if you are using a Lee neck sizer when are you using the Redding FL die?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got quite a few hornady dies. They do a pretty aggressive job of sizing but I've never stuck a case. I have a tight chambered savage LE 308. The hornady FL die is my only 308 that will get brass fired out of other guns small enough to chamber in that savage. I tend to think of hornady dies as a "small base" die. Ammo loaded/sized w the hornady dies really really fly out of an auto loader!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've used many hornady dies in many cartridges for 30 years with no problems , guess I'm lucky or maybe .........

Ditto...

Have Pacific Durachrome, New Dimension smooth and zip spindles.

Have stuck cases in Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, etc whenever I've gotten stingy or lazy with lube.

Sizing really doesn't require much lube nor is the exact lube all that critical. However, it is very important. Lube doesn't work when mixed with solvents. (One-Shot is a very good lube, but like all the spray-type, solvent-carrier lubes, the solvent needs to be evaporated first.) Oils left in a die can also mess with you lube. And so can old crud/lube/dust that might have been allowed to accumulate.

Start with clean, dry dies. Make sure your cases are clean and free of grit and use a rub or roll on, or a well-dried aerosol and you shouldn't have any problem. The brand name on the die isn't the problem.

(Oh, and keep a 1/4-20 tap, a 13/64 drill, and a 1/4 bolt and socket available for those times when you're in too much of a hurry to do things right. laugh )

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Klik speaks the truth. Use your lube correctly and it won't matter the brand of die. Only time I've stuck cases has been from lack of attention. As far as One Shot goes following the instructions has worked for me. That includes a full cleaning of the die then coating the internals with One Shot before proceeding. As mentioned, aerosol brake cleaner works well on the disassembled parts prior to coating. On the part about Hornadys being tighter than other dies; I sent a full length .223 die back to Hornady because with a standard "die touching the shell holder" set up for full length resize the cases were still too oversized to cycle consistently thru 3 different rifles; a S&W AR, a Rock River AR, and a Mini 14. Just my experience. Edit: Hornady shaved the die a bit and returned it with a note from the tech stating to the effect "Die in spec. Altered to fit customer's ARs". Still a little annoyed about that.

Last edited by shootem; 01/19/15.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rather than head to shoulder distance, I'm referring to diameter and case body taper when I call Hornady FL size dies tight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 66 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.