Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The wear doesn't have anything to do with it. Winchester didn't make matte finish aluminum buttplates. It's totally wrong, 100% certain.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Id be cuuios of all the boards 70 collector opinions.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Prewar70
I hope I'm not the only one to notice, but the buttplate is refinished and not correct and the barrel color looks a little off to me as well. Not to rain on anyone's parade but when one thing is wrong and we're talking about a rare configuration, it usually leads to more problems.

I have seen to many not look correct due to light and camera to make a "something is wrong" call on this gun, given the butt plate looks matte but it being a special order gun changes everything. I do know money and access to a good Winchester rep and you could have it your way! very best on a good one. WinPoor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would that 61-62 rifle wear a S or SG stamp under the barrel?

Last edited by POPGUN; 01/21/15.

I like it here. They let me swear.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MisterGreen
That is interesting. Could someone order a SGFW up through 64 in the custom shop?

Probably could have ordered anything you wanted to pay for back then. Someone brought up the butt plate. It should have actually been a composite butt plate instead of the aluminum. They started using the composite butt plates in 1959. It doesn't make a lot of sense that it would be aluminum, let alone being the wrong color as pre war pointed out. The finish on the barrel looks to be more like the mottled finish the stainless barrels had. I'd be curious to see if it has a stainless barrel????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Maybe I have the DOM off. My SN is 5547xx. That is a 61 eh?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I am no where near an expert and I could be totally out in left field, but wasn't the only supergrade available 1960-1963 the Supergrade African in 458? Or was that only 1963? I would look it up but I am 1500 miles from my bible.

Mistergreen, please do not take this the wrong way, but did you receive any proof of this rifles manufacture? The supergrade fwt is probably one of the most faked Model 70's of all time. The barrel finish does look a bit off, but it could be flash washout from the camera at just the right angle. Real light would help out alot. Same with the butt plate.

For the price they go for at auction, people do devious things.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IF it was a special order who knows? I know if I were to order one from the custom shop and a steel or aluminum Neider style butt plate was available over a composite (plastic) plate I would be getting it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
IF it was a special order who knows? I know if I were to order one from the custom shop and a steel or aluminum Neider style butt plate was available over a composite (plastic) plate I would be getting it!

I wouldn't. I'd be all over a leather faced custom recoil pad they offered...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Looks like Cody letter time.

Given that this rifle came from a collection that includes over 50 model 70's which include pre 64 NIB 338 Win Mag, new condition 375 H&H Super Grade, the previously posted never out of the wood box Bull gun, multiple targets, pre war tangs etc. I will be shocked if this was not original.

As Winchesterpoor posted, it's a special order which could be more than just the sights. Naturally ill be bias until proved wrong by letter or some other means.

Thanks for all the thoughts/opinions.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
People always seem to question SG Featherweights as not being original then the question is where do you get a stock from? It's realtivly easy to make a standard weight a SG with a stock off another rifle, you have a '06 SG and a 257 standard 3 screws later you have a SG 257. But where would you ever find a SG Featherweight stock from?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool rifle! It sure couldn't hurt to contact the Winchester Museum in Cody to see if they have anything on file about this rifle. The custom orders came in whatever configuration the buyer wanted, so there were some unusual mixes out there. The challenge is proving that it was truly a custom order with all work done at the factory versus someone piecing together a rifle on their own.

Eric

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I will take some natural light photos this weekend and post the difference. It will be interesting to see the contrast.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Waste of time to contact Cody....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thinking the blueing will hold up with good light.
Only question is the two EE's in steel that look rubbed out. The rest of the lettering is perfect. Again, it may be the lighting.
Do a quote and look at the enlarged pic.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll ask again. Is the underside of that barrel stamped Super Grade and if so how is it stamped?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'd hunt that in half a heart beat.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The plate is marked super grade as would be expected.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not questioning the floorplate Sir.
Given the date of manufacture I'm curious if when the rifle is taken down there is a stamping under the barrel which is normally not visible when the rifle is fully assembled.
If so would you be able to post a photo of it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey folks,

Just sharing my new baby. While I have few Winchesters in my collection compared to others, the more I engage with them, the more I start to want to get more and more. This one in in particular is something I am still wondering if I am dreaming.

This thing is in new condition and is a special order to be built with no sights.

Enjoy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's very nice. It kinda reminds me of old Kimber of Oregon that Aussie family made possible to us. Too bad that venture folded.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.