Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Richdeerhunter,

I also had one FTF with a .308 American, but don't know whether it was due to the factory ammo, or possibly the bolt handle being raised slightly, weakening the firing pin strike. It was during a rapid-fire drill and it might have been either one. The rifle was a loaner and I've never had one with either of the American centerfires I own, a stainless .243 and a blued .308, or my .22 rimfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'm sure if the demand is there, they can figure out how to do an extended mag. As long as the top main outside mag body is the same, they can do whatever they want below or inside it. Just like the BX25 magazine in a 10/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer - I have 2 RAR's (.22/250 & .243) plus a .17HMR rimfire. Nothing of a negative mechanical nature has popped up EXCEPT the magazine issue(s) posted here. Have to wonder why it's a crap shoot between good/bad mags especially when OEM with the rifle.
Homesteader

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by KenMi
I'm sure if the demand is there, they can figure out how to do an extended mag. As long as the top main outside mag body is the same, they can do whatever they want below or inside it. Just like the BX25 magazine in a 10/22.

Some folks miss their deer..

Many times.. crazy whistle

Last edited by Nrut; 01/14/15.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a 7-08 that was reliable and really accurate and a 223 that wouldn't feed, fired case split in the shoulder area and it shot about 5 MOA.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag for future reference

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just FYI,

one of our Mickey Coleman Memorial Christmas Youth Project recipients, has a new Ruger American in 243 heading her way as we speak... it was shipped out yesterday...

she is 10 years old, ( and of course female), and after her dad took her to Cabelas in Louisville at my request to get her to look at a few rifles...she fell in love with the Ruger American Youth Model, with the 18 inch barrel...

but she really LOVED the pink camo stock on a Savage Axis...

Searching all over the place online and with the help of the Firearm Dept's Manager at Big R over here in White City, we managed to run down a Ruger American at a distributor in Ohio, that had a youth model, in 243 with the Camo Pink stock...

guess there was about a dozen at distributors in the country according to Ruger's Customer Service guy...

so maybe we can get a field report from her and her dad after she takes it for a road test at the local shooting range...

The nice folks at Vortex are donating a nice 2 x 7 Scope to sit on top of it...sadly they didn't have one in a pink camo finish to match the rest of her rifle...

Will keep you gentlemen posted on the results of that one...

and thanks to the campfire members who supported our Christmas Project....and Vortex for their donation of a couple of 2 x 7 Scopes...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a Predator in Creedmoor last month. It often doesn't pick up the last round from the magazine. I haven't called Ruger yet about it. I thought it might break in, but it doesn't look like it will after three trips to the range.

I loaded the 140 A-Max with H4350. At 2650 fps it is showing great potential, but it is shooting two groups about 3/4 an inch apart.

So I filed the left front of the barrel channel to give it more clearance, that being the spot that looked the most narrow.

Yesterday I shot it again. Still doing it. I shot eight rounds. Five went into one nice little cluster, the other three went into another cluster low and left. It wasn't the breeze.

I switched the factory base to an EGW HD. THe scope is a SS 3-9 that is proven. The loads are at a consistent speed on the chronograph. I'm thinking it has to be the stock. The two action screws were tightened a little at a time, to 65 pounds each.

I know Boyds makes a stock, but the factory stock is only 27 ounces and I don't want to add a pound to the rifle with the laminate. And I don't want to spend the money on the stock, the pad upgrade, and shipping on what is supposed to be an inexpensive rifle. (My cheap rifle was $420, then I put a flash hider on, not to be tacticool, but to protect the crown for $25 more. The base and shipping was $80, then two cans of webbing and a can of clear coat for $15. If I buy the stock, I'll be mad at myself for not just buying another stainless T3!)

To the poster who bedded the forearm channel, did you do the whole thing, or just a pad at the tip? Did you add pressure?

Any other ideas? The gun looks like it is going to be a great shooter when I get this figured out.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd almost bet barrel heat in that situation as well. For a hunting rifle, as designed, I guess I wouldn't care if mine did the same

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I bought a Predator in Creedmoor last month. It often doesn't pick up the last round from the magazine. I haven't called Ruger yet about it. I thought it might break in, but it doesn't look like it will after three trips to the range.

I loaded the 140 A-Max with H4350. At 2650 fps it is showing great potential, but it is shooting two groups about 3/4 an inch apart.

So I filed the left front of the barrel channel to give it more clearance, that being the spot that looked the most narrow.

Yesterday I shot it again. Still doing it. I shot eight rounds. Five went into one nice little cluster, the other three went into another cluster low and left. It wasn't the breeze.

I switched the factory base to an EGW HD. THe scope is a SS 3-9 that is proven. The loads are at a consistent speed on the chronograph. I'm thinking it has to be the stock. The two action screws were tightened a little at a time, to 65 pounds each.

I know Boyds makes a stock, but the factory stock is only 27 ounces and I don't want to add a pound to the rifle with the laminate. And I don't want to spend the money on the stock, the pad upgrade, and shipping on what is supposed to be an inexpensive rifle. (My cheap rifle was $420, then I put a flash hider on, not to be tacticool, but to protect the crown for $25 more. The base and shipping was $80, then two cans of webbing and a can of clear coat for $15. If I buy the stock, I'll be mad at myself for not just buying another stainless T3!)

To the poster who bedded the forearm channel, did you do the whole thing, or just a pad at the tip? Did you add pressure?

Any other ideas? The gun looks like it is going to be a great shooter when I get this figured out.

I have one of the same rifles, Milton. I mounted a scope, but haven't had time to shoot it. Here's hoping you get yours lined out soon.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I sighted in a couple of them in 30-06 for a couple of once a year hunters before deer season. Both shot less than MOA with WW 150's. I did however adjust triggers and retorque the stocks before shooting.

I gave my grandson one in .243 and mounted a Pentax 4-12x that I paid $59, the damn thing looks pretty good, took 1 shot at 25, then shot two three shot groups at 100, the first was .620, the second was one hole, .278. There was no load workup, just grabbed a box of ammo I'd loaded years ago, 100 Sierra with 42 IMR 4350 in Remington brass. It feeds slick, shoots, sure the stock kinda sucks, I have no idea if it touches the barrel on one side or not, and don't care, if it shoots like this. They also are putting the right twist in a .243 and .223 for the heavies. I paid $349 for the rifle and a $59 scope, I'm impressed and I've got a number of high dollar rifles that won't compete with them. I'm thinking about picking up a 7-08 and mounting one of my numerous spare scopes for a knockaround hunting rig. They are light, and shoot, I like them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a RAR Standard in .223. Pretty much has all the annoyances listed above. Flimsy forend, mag. not feeding, and a rough trigger.

Forend was a pretty easy fix with 3M products and a 5/16" hollow aluminum rod. Not used for bedding, just as a stiffener. Also used a Dremel tool to open up the barrel channel.

[Linked Image]

Before the Dremel.

[Linked Image]

After....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pretty much a 5 minute job to address the Mag. issue. Just take a little off the inside of the front 1/4 - 1/3 of the mag. lips. a little 1500 grit to smooth thigs out. slick as snot now, no feeding issues.

[Linked Image]

I haven't addressed the trigger yet. There is a burr at the very end of the pull. My 11 year old Grandson dosen't notice it, but I can.

The RAR Compact .223 stock will fit the RAR standard .223 rifle. Do not know if other calibers will interchange, but the .223 does. Direct drop in for me....May opt to cut 2" off the barrel. Grandson is happy with the new stock.

[Linked Image]

Grandson is a happy shooting machine. Nothing fancy, Weaver K4 and standard Weaver rings. About $20 worth of 3M products, an aluminum rod, and a little quality time.

A big thank you to Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.

I called Tec Support to ask about the compact stock fitting a standard model. The nice folks said "I do not know" why don't I send you one. I replied "I would like to know if it fits before I buy one".... Again.... "I don't know, I'll send you one and we will see"...OK! OK! It's here and it fits!

Ed
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As to the other mention in the OP, NO I wouldn't take the RAR hunts that I've spent any time/money on. I think of them as backyard rifles at present.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
223 SS Standard RAR, 2 magazines, no feed issues w/ either. Have Chaz's mag extensions now, again, no feed issues - about 600 rounds total fired. Had to hog out the stock a little on the left side for a good freefloat. Other than that, no issues. Rifle shoots great, seems to be getting more accurate the more rounds are put down range.

David

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So you could also go the other way and put a standard stock on the compact, I'm guessing? What did they charge for a stock?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KenMi
So you could also go the other way and put a standard stock on the compact, I'm guessing? What did they charge for a stock?

Well, they said "Merry Christmas" and no charge.

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The compact and regular stocks are interchangeable between the short actions. They're $50 + $5 shipping, unless you're smooth like 308ld.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by IDMilton

Waiting on my Predator in 6.5C as well.

Sounds like yours is keeping the last round a little low in the magazine. Opening up the distance between the feed lips slightly should fix it. Check for any burrs or parting lines and clean that up first.

You might try seating a little deeper, see if that fixes the "two in one out" issue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i bought a 7mm-08 LH when they became available.

I've been pleased with it, no issues at all and shoots very good.

I think its a great gun for the price. So its ugly and rough around the edges, but for a first timer or child I think it hits the mark.

so...

I love it.

3 deer, not so much.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's interesting to see the second mover advantage in the flesh, and funny how Remington blew it. Not to mention TC, but that wasnt a surprise.

Doesn't Winchester have a Tikka-esque rig on the horizon?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.