Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a deer back from a large local butcher who assures me you get your deer back 100% of the time. I paid a bit extra to have some jerkey made (real meat slices, not ground). It looks great and is nice and dry,but it smells and tastes like a slice of kippered herring left in the sun until it dried hard. I mean it is impossible to swallow as the gag reflex is awful. I need to cook some of the seaks or roasts, but if was wondering if anyone has encountered this before?

The deer was a good sized button buck (maybe 2.5 years old). I did not detect any musky rut smell and the deer was a neck shot bang flop. Deer was gutted clean and in the processing bay in less than two hours, so post harvest treatment was good.

The butcher was responsible for aging and skinning the deer. Any ideas what went wrong?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The jerkey I have is delicious and is very close to beef jerkey. Can't keep my grandkids away from it. Next time make it your self.

Never yet seen a 2.5 yo button buck.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 01/22/15.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps he smoked some fish in the same unit he dried your jerky in.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sure it wasn't a button doe?

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ha! If it was it had a pretty convincing gender change operation...

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Id ask the butcher to taste some of it. Remind him of your buck and tell him to eat chitt.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/22/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a reason I process ALL ALL ALL of my own meat.

Time consuming and the grinders/smokers/stuffers/dehydrators are expensive but soooo worth it.

That goes for all of our garden products as well.

My $0.02

Last edited by White_Bear; 01/22/15. Reason: added info

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

One of my mom's fellow teachers decided that her class should experience the good, old-fashioned fun of making anise candy. She brought the necessary equipment and ingredients from home and commandeered the home-ec room for the event. When it was done and cooled, she broke it into pieces and passed them around. The unanimous opinion was that, the pioneers be damned, it was the most god-awful stuff anyone had ever tasted. (Edythe did not sample any herself.) On the drive home, she expounded upon the unnappreciative nature of today's youth, not to mention their spoiled appetites that could not recognize a traditional treat. Upon entering her house, she found the pans that she had greased for the anise. What were missing were the pans that she had used to make salmon patties the night before.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by White_Bear

Time consuming and the grinders/smokers/stuffers/dehydrators are expensive but soooo worth it.

My $0.02

Agreed 100%

If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

Just got done making 50 pounds of venison Polish, 25 pounds of Snack sticks, 25 pounds of Venison Heidelburger and 25 pounds of Venison Burger.

When my friends and family taste my sausage they are always amazed with the flavor and texture. Comments are usually, wow, that's really good, how cum the sausage I had made at xxxxx meat shop doesn't taste like that?

Answer to them, you didn't process your meat correctly before you brought it to them, and/or they prolly mixed someone elses poorly processed meat in with yours.

I work to hard to harvest my game, I'm not going to trust my sausage and jerky to some guy that is pounding out hundreds of pounds a day and claiming (I) got my deer meat back with no other rotten meat added for flavor.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This! More than likely he didn't clean the racks and used the same racks giving you a unpleasant fish taste! Take it to him and have him taste it. I would then ask him how he wants to resolve the problem. I would request to be reimbursed but more than likely he will want to give you a discount on next years venison?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Esox357

This! More than likely he didn't clean the racks and used the same racks giving you a unpleasant fish taste! Take it to him and have him taste it. I would then ask him how he wants to resolve the problem. I would request to be reimbursed but more than likely he will want to give you a discount on next years venison?

It's possible (very possible) he will say, "Tastes Fine, good, great". At that point I would say, excellent, lets replace the jerky you have for sale in your window with this jerky and see if your customers like it. Lets see how many of your customers come back for more and tell all their friends how wonderful your jerky is".

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think it's from previously smoked fish. Smoked fish tastes good, it doesn't taste rotten. The rotten fish taste is from something that went rancid, or just a HS marinade that sucks no matter

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I still can't get passed the 2.5 year old button buck statement. That is ridiculous. Did You cape it? I guess you won't use that meat processor anymore.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by White_Bear

My $0.02

Uh - yeah.. Besides, I'm chea - economical.

And what I kill is what I get/deserve.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2.5 year old button buck

Perhaps that's the issue. Some sort of hardware problem.

1Minute
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did not pull the jawbone, it very well could have been a 1.5 year old. I freely admit I suck at aging deer, it just 'looked' big for a 1.5 year old deer.

In any event, it was my daughters first deer. I used to process myself but I didn't have the time nor the equipment to do what I wanted this time. I don't mind having lots of roasts, but I had this one made up into breakfast sausage, brats, ground, and jerky. I will pull out a roast or a steak and see what it tastes like. I *hope* it is just the jerky.

K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And yes, that was the first and last time for that processor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I still can't get passed the 2.5 year old button buck statement. That is ridiculous. Did You cape it? I guess you won't use that meat processor anymore.

Yep sounds like BS to me! I have eaten older deer and other than being "tough" the venison tasted fine!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I might add that for much of my 40+ in Alaska, I've been a piece away from a commercial processor - also growing up in NoDak. Never found the need for them. Processing is part of the hunt.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Years ago I used a processor that when I picked up my packaged deer I wound up with almost as much meat by weight as what my deer weighed field dressed. Easily a good 140-150lbs of butchered and ground meat from a deer that weighed about 175lbs field dressed. The amount of steaks, roasts, loin and tenderloin looked correct but I got a BUNCH more ground venison than I normally should have. Only thing I could figure is maybe they finished up with my deer and threw some of the ground meat they had left over from other folks deer into my box and probably a couple of others too so they could clean up their cooler, shop and equipment. It all tasted good with no unusual odor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.