Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 77 of 120 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 119 120
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For building strength Vek's stuff is good. Rippetoe's stuff is good. The 5-3-1 program is good. Lots of good strength/mass building programs out there and they all center on big lifts. Squats, deadlifts, heavy presses. I think it's worthwhile to make sure you put a pull in for every push that you do upper body. If you're serious about getting stronger it helps to get bigger. It's hard to stay anabolic and not gain weight...just accept it and do the GOMAD or whatever you need to do to make sure you're taking in more (good/useful) calories than your body needs.

After you've got a solid foundation, I love the olympic lifts (even if you only do them in power form). They aren't mass builders and aren't a true "strength" builder but, in my experience, they are the dividing line between people who can lift some big weights and bad azzes who can really move things.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Glocktard
Rippetoe's Starting Strength program with NO MODIFICATIONS. That also means you must drink one gallon of milk each day.

Tanner, anyone who tells you there's only one way to get in shape for backpack hunting, there can be NO EXCEPTIONS, and you have to drink a gallon of milk a day is either an idiot, a blowhard, or doesn't do much backpack hunting.

Or in this case all three. But I'm pretty sure you knew that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It would cost about $180 a month to drink a gallon of milk a day in my area.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another classic destined for the Take-a-knee chronicles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

After you've got a solid foundation, I love the olympic lifts (even if you only do them in power form). They aren't mass builders and aren't a true "strength" builder but, in my experience, they are the dividing line between people who can lift some big weights and bad azzes who can really move things.
I think there's quite a bit of truth in that last statement...

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Nothing wrong with GOMAD, if you aren't allergic. Caloric surplus is mandatory for strength increase (generally speaking), unless you are wearing a substantial caloric surplus.

Also mandatory: a deliberate effort made to rest and recover from the training. This means sufficient sleep, and minimizing or eliminating activity that will rob resources needed for recovery. If you are a house framer or drywaller or timber cruiser, that activity may interfere somewhat with your strength increasing efforts, in spite of you being already adapted to your job. The strength work will still be seen by your body as additional stimulus, however, and with sufficient rest and caloric surplus, you'll get stronger and bigger.

As I've harped on before, though, the big problem with strength gain is perception. Folks believe that you'll get all bound up and worthless for a long haul if you dare to put on 30 lbs of muscle or more. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You can't neglect the toughness of your feet when training for hunting. You can only train foot toughness by hiking uneven terrain in your boots. Heels going uphill, balls and toes going down, ankles on sidehill. By the time you've trained to where your feet are tough enough to recover normally (overnight) from a hard hunting day, your "cardio" training has taken care of itself, and you've shed the 20 lbs of fat that hitchhiked aboard with the 30 lbs of muscle last winter when you made a focused effort to get strong.

Last edited by Vek; 02/05/15.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Vek, what would consider some good middle ground on the subject? For the guy who doesn't want to spend $600 a month on groceries for himself, have access to squatting facilities worth a hoot, and just wants to go hunting and be able to pack out 120lbs?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Rippetoe's Starting Strength program with NO MODIFICATIONS. That also means you must drink one gallon of milk each day.

Tanner, anyone who tells you there's only one way to get in shape for backpack hunting, there can be NO EXCEPTIONS, and you have to drink a gallon of milk a day is either an idiot, a blowhard.

In case you missed it, Tanner didn't say schidt about "getting in shape for hunting", he opined about gaining muscle mass. If you'd like to go on record to say that Mark Rippetoe is clueless about barbell training, then be my guest.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Vek, what would consider some good middle ground on the subject? For the guy who doesn't want to spend $600 a month on groceries for himself, have access to squatting facilities worth a hoot, and just wants to go hunting and be able to pack out 120lbs?

He's told you several times to get Rip's book, or better yet attend one of his classes, get a good barbell and some bumpers. Rouge and others have decent wall-mounted squat/pullup rigs for $500 plus shipping. YOU have access to unlimited amounts of salmon, so protein shouldn't be an issue.

You've also bragged about making 140K+ every year so I would think $1500 for a barbell/bumpers/squat rack shouldn't be an issue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In case you missed it, Tanner didn't say schidt about "getting in shape for hunting", he opined about gaining muscle mass. If you'd like to go on record to say that Mark Rippetoe is clueless about barbell training, then be my guest.

I never said Rippetoe was clueless, 'tard. And in case you missed it, this whole 150+ page thread is about getting in shape for backpack hunting. I did say you were an idiot, blowhard, and didn't backpack hunt very much. And I'd be willing to wager that even Rippetoe wouldn't say there's only one way to train with NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

As an aside, his methods apparently aren't working for you. They haven't made you "retard strong" as you put it, just retard smart.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[quote=Glocktard]

I never said Rippetoe was clueless And I'd be willing to wager that even Rippetoe wouldn't say there's only one way to train with NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

As an aside, his methods apparently aren't working for you. They haven't made you "retard strong" as you put it, just retard smart.

As is so often the case, you are FOS. Rip's Starting Strength program is 6-8wks, and he is adamant about saying that if you ain't doin' it EXACTLY as he suggests, then you're not doing his program.

As for my strength, I fall into Rip's "intermediate" level for strength standards on all the listed lifts, in spite of being 55yo with 200 jumps. I can still run for distance and do 8-10 pullups. I'll take that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rip's Starting Strength program is 6-8wks, and he is adamant about saying that if you ain't doin' it EXACTLY as he suggests, then you're not doing his program.

And does he also say that his program is the only way to train, with NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!???

That was my point, 'tard. Go back and read it again, if you still don't get it I'll draw you a picture.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rip's Starting Strength program is 6-8wks, and he is adamant about saying that if you ain't doin' it EXACTLY as he suggests, then you're not doing his program.

And does he also say that his program is the only way to train, with NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!???

Yes, he does, for the duration of the brief 6-8wk program, until your strength gains stall. If you didn't understand that distinction I apologize for not spelling it out.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Then he's an idiot and a blowhard. Not surprising you hang on his every word.

As with most things as variable as humans and training, there is more than one way to accomplish the goal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Then he's an idiot and a blowhard.

A lot of weak phuggers agree with you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tactical Response? That's funny as hell, I know when I'm out hunting, tactical response is always my major concern. Never know when I'm gonna have to kick a door down.

Let me see if I've got this straight though. Rippetoe makes his living off promoting his methods. So he's his own best salesman. And you believe him when he says his product is the only way to go. So let me correct myself, he's not an idiot, just a salesman. You're the idiot.

I do give you credit for not posting a jumping out of airplanes video though.

Despite your best efforts, this thread is still about getting in shape for backpack hunting. The most successful HUNTER on this thread posted his routine a few pages back. I didn't see him cite Rippetoe, his methods, or gallons of milk.

Or a "tactical response" video.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Let me see if I've got this straight though. Rippetoe makes his living off promoting his methods. So he's his own best salesman. And you believe him when he says his product is the only way to go. So let me correct myself, he's not an idiot, just a salesman. You're the idiot.

Maybe, but at least I ain't a worn-out gimp that can't squat.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I do give you credit for not posting a jumping out of airplanes video though.

Enjoy this one gimp

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC.

Rippetoe is dead nuts on about building overall muscle mass and getting strong.

That may, or may not, have anything at all to do with backpack hunting.

The most successful backpack hunter I know - and this guy is freakin' ridiculous (25-40 MILES in to hunt at high altitude for sheep, goat, and bear in BC, all on foot, all backpacking, and all packing back out and he does this several times each year), probably goes 6'3" and maybe 220 soaking wet. He's sinewy. rancher/horseman/carpenter strong but probably wouldn't score well on Rippetoe's charts. He's got the track record to back up his ability to hunt, though.

Jason Hairston, another damn good backpack hunter, would probably fall in line with Rippetoe's philosophies (as he's a former NFL linebacker) and score well in his evaluations. He's got the track record to back up his abilities as well.

The trick is to find a program and a system that WORKS and works for the person/agenda in question, and to STICK WITH IT. Rippetoe's system and program works. On that, there's not doubt. There are other systems that work as well, depending upon what you want to do. Picking one, and the right one, and sticking with it is what makes the difference.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
JFC.

The trick is to find a program and a system that WORKS and works for the person/agenda in question, and to STICK WITH IT. Rippetoe's system and program works. On that, there's not doubt. There are other systems that work as well, depending upon what you want to do. Picking one, and the right one, and sticking with it is what makes the difference.

Tanner posted about his attempt to gain muscle, hence my response. I stand by it. Tanner will be a sucessful backpack hunter with or without Rip or anyone else's barbell program. Though he'll be a stronger man with it. He can already do something here that probably no one here can do, including myself, a bar muscle-up.

I doubt EdT ever touches a barbell, and he's hauled out more elk than any poster here.

The fact still remains that a good/smart barbell program will markedly increase functional strength and prevent injury.

Page 77 of 120 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.