Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been using a KOA Alpha Wolf in S30V the past few years, including on last fall's buck...

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Never cut a pig, but that critter looks like it probably oinked before it got boinked....?

Good eye
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1120.photobucket.com/a...-ACCE-6F81E426B2B8_zpsz78upheu.mp4[/img]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using this Spyderco Bill Moran for a few years. Not an expensive knife by any means but the ergonomics of the tool have me reaching for it each season.

Crappy stock photo. Sorry

[Linked Image]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Gerber Gator, which has a customized "rubber" grip. (Tripper Lab, now 12, but then 3 months). Both were new at the time...used exclusively on Nov 2 moose.

Gerber model "Bear Grillis?" ( The survival flake). Can't stand the guy, but the knife is a good one. Found it on the beach 3 years ago. Used last on 3 caribou Nov 1/2.

Both still need touching up later today. Thanks for reminder!

Of course I had with me my original model Leatherman, not used at all. Got a bigger fancier one around someplace - I think in the PU camper in Soldotna. Never carry it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Buck Vanguard. I love this thing. 'Twas the sharpest knife out-of-the box that I've ever had.

[Linked Image]

FC

I like Buck knives too and have had a laminated Vanguard for around 20 years. The only picture I have is one that I took to show how thick the hide of a moose is:

[Linked Image]

And they make fine utility knives which is why I often grab mine for opening moose (along the spine) where hair and hide are thick. The edge-holding ability they have was demonstrated well most recently when my #103 kept working well enough that I never thought about going for a sharper knife. (Last time I did that I was operating a Marbles model.)

When I most recently pulled out my Vanguard, I noticed that the edge was very dull and there was a small crack along the edge - so evidently one of the stepsons or their friends had gotten their hands on it. frown (Anyone know if Buck will give their attention to abused blades?)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Klikitarik;
Good afternoon to you sir, hopefully this finds you and your fine family doing well.

Thanks for the interesting thread and of course thanks to those who've contributed too as it's always an interesting topic for me.

As others have mentioned, I drool every time Steve shows those Heron knives. The top knife in the third photo - horn scales and a bit of a Russell belt knife feel to it - is about perfect to my way of thinking. cool

Anyway we didn't shoot much at our house this fall so I believe this one was used for gutting. It's built from a 52100 blade I picked up on ebay, white maple scales and I cobbled a sheath up one afternoon too.
[Linked Image]

As far as the Buck knife goes, we've been fans of US made Bucks for years and became even more so after touring their factory a half dozen years ago.
[Linked Image]

That visit started my appreciation for their Vantage Pro line of folders and there's always one in my back pocket all season.
[Linked Image]

From what I understand of the good folks at Buck, they're quite good about customer service, so I'd certainly recommend giving them a shout to see what they say on your Vanguard.

Thanks again for the fine read and views Klik and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I shot two deer this past season. Used an old {1972} Puma Game Warden on the first and an olive drab carbon steel Mora clipper on the second.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Knives of Alaska Cub Bear.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never was very good at sharpening so I have succumbed to the cult of the havalon piranta.

I did loose my good, ancient, hand-me-down case folder on an antelope hunt in Sep. That knife had been on 6 continents and been through 3 wars. That sucked but at some point it was bound to happen.

I've got plenty of somewhat cheaper fixed blade knives but plan to use the piranta for all my big game hunting from now on.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'Cobbled' evidently has different meanings than what I generally think of it as��.very nice cobbling as well as knife-making! Thanks for the kind words and same in return.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Piranta almost exclusively like we have since it came out.... I just don't see the need much for anything else.

And when I do, for whatever reason its not a big name knife.. pair of knives from LEM has done the best for me lately if not using piranta, one a small skinner the other gut hook/filet sort of combo...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper
I've used only the knives my buddy George Herron made for about the last twenty-five years. They are incredible.

Rest In Peace, my dear friend.

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mastadon Ivory Herron Folder ... kinda nice grin

[Linked Image]

Awesome cutlery you got there, Sir

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
[Linked Image]

What model Zero Tolerance please?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Livin' here in Texas, having critters to skin is easy........

[Linked Image]

Rocky Menfee "16 bore"

[Linked Image]

another one of Rocky's blades.

[Linked Image]

Two handed "Brisket Breaker" by Dale Howe

[Linked Image]

6.5 Mag by Gene Ingram

[Linked Image]

Lil' Dumplin' by Rick Menefee (aka, the "BSWD Boner")

[Linked Image]

#1 Bird and Trout by Gene Ingram

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_13491_zps7c647914.jpg[/img]

Cold Steel Outdoorsman and "FUBAB" by Rick Menefee

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Bear%20Hunt/IMG_0101.jpg[/img]

Randall #28 Woodsman

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/IMG_0382_zps354698cc.jpg[/img]

Father and son Winstons.

JAPPF,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/24/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I also like my Buck Vanguard. I have the Cabela's S30V version.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Whiptail; 01/24/15.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gutted critters with a medium stockman pocket knife to a Puma Bowie, but most were and will continue to be done with a older Buck 110 with a 440C blade.

Skinned and butchered is done with a variety of knives most of which are Forschner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing like elk, a Leatherman Wave and a Kauffman #15...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone use an Opinel at any point in time? The newer blades seem kind of soft and easily bent, but the older carbon steel blades we used to use for pocket/utility were sharp and easily sharpened as I recall. Haven't used one for awhile but I have put one of the larger ones to use on occasion.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Buck 422 folder with the orange handle. It was given to me as a tip from a client 25 years ago. Had never used a folder, wasn't sure about the "nontraditional" orange handle. Threw it in my knife box.

A year later, in the course of lightening my daypack load, I decided to try that knife. First elk I killed was after 20 inches of powder fell the previous day. Of course I dropped the knife in the snow and it went right to the ground. When I dug it out of the snow I decided that orange handle was the most brilliant idea to ever hit knifedom.....Been carrying that knife in my daypack ever since.

The 422 sharpens easily and holds a pretty good edge. Over the next few years I received two more 422's from clients as tips. They are my backup knives.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't get too bloody this year. The top knife, a light hunter from Gene Ingram dressed and carved up my buck.

[Linked Image]

My Dozier Yukon Pro got a few licks in on my Son-in-Laws bull elk as well.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,545
Posts18,472,934
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.