Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
SAS,

Any idea what the Timney will cost? Seems like a good option for people who don't want to mess with the OEM trigger.

I've no idea what others will list them for and I'll have to check on MAP, but I'll have them on the shelf for less than $100.

One $100 bill is well worth it if there's no creep and pull at 2lbs or less. My only RAR is chambered in 223... I wanted a fast twist factory rifle. Thanks for the info SAS.

Jason

HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep! Just dropping a few hints Joel...

In response to some of the comments above:

I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. Let's say you want a fast twist 223 to sling some 75's and bust steel way out there....

....the Ruger American gets you there and it doesn't break the bank.

Why not spend a little coin with a platform that's exceptionally accurate and reliable?

Upgrade the trigger, add a mag extension and maybe throw it in a different stock down the road?

The RAR gets you where you want to be with lots less money that it costs to convert an ADL "on the cheap". I have no desire now to buy a 12" twist Remington and send it off for a new barrel. I'm into this for half the cost and it shoots as well or better than the Remington conversions I've done in the past.

And for the 8" Tikka guys, they no longer import them so it's a mute point. The RAR is still less expensive after the upgrades than an off the shelf Tikka. I'm not afraid to compare accuracy notes either....

^^^^This x10^^^^ I love my 700's but da hell with rebarelling when you can be on the road for half the price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wouldn't have a problem putting a Timney in mine. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
More ridiculous is people shooting 100 pound deer with a 376 Steyr.

Maybe I'll AI it and drop it in a blue/pink McMillan with a pirate sticker on the butt...hmmm...maybe even a M1 turret.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sas- are the new stocks stiff enough that they won't touch the barrel when flexed? I'm in the market for a couple more but may wait until units with the new stocks are readily available before buying if they're markedly improved. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm looking at this from a totally different perspective. Let's say you want a fast twist 223 to sling some 75's and bust steel way out there....

Why not spend a little coin with a platform that's exceptionally accurate and reliable?

Upgrade the trigger, add a mag extension and maybe throw it in a different stock down the road?

The RAR gets you where you want to be with lots less money that it costs to convert an ADL "on the cheap". I have no desire now to buy a 12" twist Remington and send it off for a new barrel. I'm into this for half the cost and it shoots as well or better than the Remington conversions I've done in the past.

And for the 8" Tikka guys, they no longer import them so it's a mute point. The RAR is still less expensive after the upgrades than an off the shelf Tikka. I'm not afraid to compare accuracy notes either....
I'm wondering if that's a hint that there's gonna be a few aftermarket stock makers making stocks? Any info you can share on that?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bartman
Where do I get the magazine extension? Will buy the whole converted mag if needed...........yea i'm that desperate!

Bartman,
I built the mold and machine to make the mag extensions. ShortActionSmoker is taking over the operation and will be producing the mag extensions going forward. I do believe he will be offering them as complete assembled magazines.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
SAS,

Any idea what the Timney will cost? Seems like a good option for people who don't want to mess with the OEM trigger.

I've no idea what others will list them for and I'll have to check on MAP, but I'll have them on the shelf for less than $100.

I can foresee myself being interested in one or two of them when you start getting them in.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good! What can you guys tell me about the mag constraints/throat geometry with the SA version of these rifles? Thinking 7-08 and 162's here...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
They're not going to fit if you're wanting to kiss. The rifle is throated nicely, but 162's are too long.

The 105's work in the 243 though and they've stabilized for me. They twisted the 223 right. If they'd use the 8" twist in the 22-250 and 243 I think they'd stumble into a market they've not seen yet. You'd see fewer builds and more guys would be tinkering/tweaking.

That would give guys some options to dabble at longer ranges without breaking the bank.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

SAS,

You are certainly more "in the know" regarding the Tikkas, but I just picked up an 8-twist. But it was at Sportsman's Warehouse. It may be left-over stock, or exclusive to them.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
It's an exclusive.....and honestly, I probably spoke out of line because I forgot about the run for them.

Congrats on a fine rifle there! I like the Tikka's too.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ahhh, thanks for the info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
sas- are the new stocks stiff enough that they won't touch the barrel when flexed? I'm in the market for a couple more but may wait until units with the new stocks are readily available before buying if they're markedly improved. Thanks.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It's an exclusive.....and honestly, I probably spoke out of line because I forgot about the run for them.

Congrats on a fine rifle there! I like the Tikka's too.

SAS, I would never consider you "speaking out of line." It's all about sharing information, and you do that VERY WELL!

Thanks!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just contacted Timney and found out that the Ruger American centerfire trigger is model #641C and it fits left hand models as well as right.

Timney will sell them to you directly, but I have not found any supplier who has them.

My Ruger American is a left hand 270 Win that shoots well after I freed up the forend, but the stock trigger is somewhat bothersome, so off to Timney I go.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

No RAR for me until a different stock is available. Even then, a mag change will also be in order. With a trigger answer, now all that is necessary to peak my interest more is a stock option.

Still cheaper than an entire build, I guess.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This makes sense to me if a 1-8 is what you are after.

If it doesn't make sense to anyone here, maybe rifles aren't your game. How could it not make sense?

Now I can't say whether it is a better idea than an ADL or 1500 action, given a different chambering/twist. But it certainly isn't a bad idea either way.

I need to toy with a RAR soon. I would own one right now as a donor, if it weren't for the damn rotary magazine.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
No RAR for me until a different stock is available.

Didn't Boyd's come out with a stock for the RA or was it just for the rimfire version?

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They did, but I'm not a fan of 5 pound stocks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.