Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The core of the issue is that Jamison received a patent for something that should never have been granted and many of the old school wildcatters feel is swarmy to even apply for. Jamison certainly isn't the first to get away with gaming the patent process, happens on a daily basis in my industry.

David

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All the big believers in personal liberty,property rights, and the free enterprise system on here,getting their panties in a wad because someone is making money off their favorite cartridge, is funny to watch.

If Hornady wants to run the 300 WSM, they can. Pay for it.If they don't want to, they don't have to....simple as that.

It's a good cartridge but if market forces killed it I wouldn't miss a moments sleep.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
All the big believers in personal liberty,property rights, and the free enterprise system on here,getting their panties in a wad because someone is making money off their favorite cartridge, is funny to watch.

Yep. And they would have been just as quick to file the lawsuit if their positions were the same as Rick Jamison's.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Yep. And they would have been just as quick to file the lawsuit if their positions were the same as Rick Jamison's.

Hilham you got it! LOL!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Amen to that! The line at the courthouse likely would run clear down the stairs and around the corner of the courthouse.

It's amazing how some people can downgrade the efforts of others if they think it all might cost them a bit more for something that they feel that they should get for nothing. True American enterprise at its best. grin

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If Hornady wants to run the 300 WSM, they can. Pay for it.If they don't want to, they don't have to....simple as that.

It's a good cartridge but if market forces killed it I wouldn't miss a moments sleep.

Yep.

But I'm still going to be mad at Hornady 'cause they won't make me 225 Winchester brass all the while I. instead, have to reform their 17 Hornet brass for my 22 Hornet.

NOT!

Actually, I was just telling a guy who was gazing at the same rows of Red-box bullets at a local store, that I was pretty happy to see the fact that Hornady seemed to have really stayed on their game to get the shelves re-stocked after the initial panic. (As we wondered why St. Marks can't seem to restock anything in pistol flavors�.no 110/296, no 231, etc since when?)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
The core of the issue is that Jamison received a patent for something that should never have been granted and many of the old school wildcatters feel is swarmy to even apply for. Jamison certainly isn't the first to get away with gaming the patent process, happens on a daily basis in my industry.

David

No, the core is that Winchester/Olin breached an expressed/implied contract.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Bob

Not sure if your post was directed at me or not - you replied to me.

I have no liberty/right issued involved here and I can ensure you my panties are smooth and unruffled. The fact remains, the WSM's are evolutionary (at best) and Jamison never should have been granted a patent. The fact that you're rooting so hard for litigation and propping Jamison up as alittle guy that fought the big evil corporations is amusing - what do you do for a living again?

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

David

Why didn't Jamison sue Remington, Ruger, Lazzeroni for producing nearly identical designs? Arguably they are as close to his original concept as the WSM's. Clearly they were/are an attempt to cash in on the same concept.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

David

Kudos to anyone who is willing to try to 'game the process'. Anyone who has ever even entertained the idea of a patent pursuit probably realizes that Las Vegas generally has better odds than what will be found in the depths of the money pit known as the patent process. Big Money is more than happy to take what they can when they can. Jamison was the 'little guy' in that deal. Obviously you don't need a Jintsu knife to slice tomatoes; neither do we need WSM, etc. That shouldn't mean an individual can't try to collect off from specific ideas which they agree to share in some ways.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
The only thing "unusual" about Jamison's rounds is that he patented "his designs." So while he obviously had a legal standing to sue Olin, he broke with the long tradition of wildcatting in doing so in order to profit from his own and others work.

Brad,

You are right in that most cartridge designers (or Wildcatters if you prefer) don't 'patent' or 'trademark' their cartridges; But many others have had proprietary or trademarked cartridges... e.g. Weatherby's entire line-up, SSK's line-up including the 300 Whisper (now the 300 Blackout), the 17 MachIV (now whatever remington calls it, 17 fireball?) and as noted in the link below the Dakota, Lazzeroni and H&H Cartridges. So I wouldn't say that it is 'unusual'.

What do you guys think Weatherby, for instance, would have done if Winchester or Remington had copied his cartridges and produced rifles and ammunition prior to His patent or trademark expiring? Would you be calling him a 'Parasite'?

Look at what happens to American interests when the Chinese ignore American patents and trademarks!

Jerry

"The term proprietary cartridge is used to describe a cartridge design that is owned by an individual or company under a registered trademark or patent. A patent is an official document granting the exclusive right to make, use, and sell an invention for a limited period. A trademark can be a name or symbol which identifies a product that is officially registered and legally restricted to the use of the owner or manufacturer. Put simply, a proprietary cartridge can only be produced commercially by either the owner of the patent or trademark - or any company that has a licensed agreement with the patent/trademark holder.

Traditionally, proprietary cartridges have always achieved only limited success due to either high cost of ammunition or limited availability of ammunition. A classic example is the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum which did not achieve full acceptance or popularity until its patent expired during the mid 1920�s. Roy Weatherby�s magnums were also proprietary cartridges at one time and like Holland & Holland, Weatherby targeted the wealthy, essentially a money making exercise. Nevertheless the Weatherby cartridges were so effective in performance that they were either emulated in design or later adopted by major manufacturers."

copied from; http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Dakota+proprietary+cartridges.html

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/27/15.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Canazes no not directed at you.Just commenting in general and you were next in line. smile

Hey everybody has their opinions on things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

David

Why didn't Jamison sue Remington, Ruger, Lazzeroni for producing nearly identical designs? Arguably they are as close to his original concept as the WSM's. Clearly they were/are an attempt to cash in on the same concept.

David

Because they did not breach an expressed/implied contract with Jamison.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by toad
I don't blame Hornady for not wanting so support a parasite via royalties.

If you actually read up on it, Rick Jamison is not a parasite. While he may not have originated the "short, fat" concept, he did invest a lot of time & research into developing them, and actually had a patent on a nearly identical design. More damning to Winchester is the fact that he was actually in contract negotiations with them, and had actually developed the 300 JRW for commercial release, to the point that it was a finished concept, with a scheduled writer's hunt with completed rifles & ammo. Winchester demanded that he give them all rights to the design, for zero remuneration, and threatened to drop the round unless he did so. He refused, so they followed through and dropped it. But, lo and behold, 9 months later, they introduced, all on their own, a nearly identical round called the 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Rick Jamison then took them to court over it, and rightly won.

That parasite may have won, but the SOB lost his job over it...as he should have. Damn....it wasn't like he invented short/fat....glad they got rid of him and his oversized ego.

Let�s change the perspective a bit. You design a house, complete with architectural drawings and a patent some features of the design. You then take the completed design to a major builder who likes the design, plans to build gazillions of them, starts contract negotiations with you to license the design, builds a house according to the plan and schedules an open house for it and invites media writers to attend the open house.

On the day of or late the day before the open house the licensing contract has not been signed and the builder seeks your permission to go ahead with the open house on condition that the builder will not build or sell any houses similar to that design unless or until the license agreement is signed. You consent to that condition and the open house proceeds.

You are expecting that the licensing agreement will include some royalties or other remuneration for your work in creating and documenting the design, for which you have a patent. Then the builder decides , no, they are not interested but about a year later comes out with a nearly identical design, contrary to the previous agreement. Further, the proceed to sell gazillions of the houses, also contrary to the previous agreement.

Granted, people have been building houses for many years and the one you designed built upon previous designs. That fact, however, is not the primary issue � the primary issue is breach of contract, which results in a significant monetary loss to you.

You seek redress for your grievances in court. The builder attempts to get the case tossed out on summary judgment and fails and they lose in another court case. Then, because they see the writing on the wall, they settle out of court.

According to your logic above, you are a �parasite� and an �SOB� with an �oversized ego� for defending your rights in court.

I have no argument with your points...probably should have just kept my mouth shut...I just didn't like how Jamison handled the situation.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

David

David

Jamison didn't sue for breach of contract, he sued for patent infringement. If he had won a case for breach of contract no other manufacturers would have to pay royalties for the wsm's ....

Winchester is a bungling, dieing company that handled the whole affair with Jamison as effectively as they have their other business practices. If Jamison thought he could have won against the others he would have gone after them also.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I have no argument with your points...probably should have just kept my mouth shut...I just didn't like how Jamison handled the situation.

So in his position you would have let Winchester/Olin take advantage of you to the tune of many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars?

I'm sure Winchester/Olin would have thought you an awfully nice guy if you did ... and a stupid businessman to boot.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[quote=Canazes9]The core of the issue is that Jamison received a patent for something that should never have been granted and many of the old school wildcatters feel is swarmy to even apply for. Jamison certainly isn't the first to get away with gaming the patent process, happens on a daily basis in my industry.

David

David

Jamison didn't sue for breach of contract, he sued for patent infringement. If he had won a case for breach of contract no other manufacturers would have to pay royalties for the wsm's ....

Winchester is a bungling, dieing company that handled the whole affair with Jamison as effectively as they have their other business practices. If Jamison thought he could have won against the others he would have gone after them also.

David

Are you reading a different case? This case includes Ruger, Winchester, Browning, and Olin.

Plaintiff first contacted Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. ("Ruger"), a firearms manufacturer, about commercial development of the short, magnum cartridge and rifle concept in late 1995 or early 1996. Ruger expressed interest, and indicated that it would make the rifles if plaintiff could interest Olin in manufacturing the ammunition. The three parties met together at the industry "Shot Show" in January 1997. At the meeting, plaintiff agreed to send Olin ballistics data on his short, fat cartridge for Olin's evaluation of the project.

Three Olin representatives subsequently met with plaintiff at his shop in April, 1997, and executed a document presented to them by plaintiff entitled "Acknowledgment of Confidentiality."
Quasi-Contract Claim Against All Defendants

In his Complaint, plaintiff alleges that he conferred a benefit on defendants by "bringing the substantially developed short, fat cartridge and mating rifle concept" to Olin, and by "providing his knowledge, skills, and services, including substantial time and expense" to Olin, Olin thereafter shared that information with Browning, and the disclosure and use of that information "formed the basis of" the "Winchester/Browning joint development project."

II. Third Claim for Relief: Breach of Express Contract Against Olin

Plaintiff's breach of express contract claim alleges the breach of several separate contracts. Plaintiff asserts the parties entered into an oral contract on February 22, 1999 during the telephone conversation between Vilhauer and Corzine which allegedly "prohibited [Olin] from selling JRW-type cartridges unless and until a written license agreement was executed by Jamison." Complaint at � 41. Alternatively, the parties entered into a written contract in the later exchange of letters. Second, plaintiff alleges that Olin disclosed or used information in violation of the express confidentiality agreement. A. Express Contract to Refrain from Selling JRW-Type Cartridge

As for the written exchange of correspondence, after hanging up with Corzine, Vilhauer faxed the following letter to Corzine's office:

This will confirm our telephone conference this morning.

I just received the fax you sent Mr. Alan Corzine this afternoon and am replying on his behalf. As you are obviously aware, he and a representative from Ruger are conducting a hunt that was supposed to be co-hosted by your client, Mr. Rick Jamison. However, due to Mr. Jamison's "11th hour" withdrawal from activities, Mr. Corzine is now at the hunt, unreachable and undoubtedly with no idea that you have faxed him anything. I have no idea whether your letter correctly confirms your phone conference with him, but at a minimum note that any commitments Mr. Corzine made in this regard were without the benefit of my counsel given the unfortunate position into which Mr. Jamison forced him.

Regardless, in reply to your fax, I will confirm that Mr. Corzine will publicly announce the new cartridge at or after the hunt, with the understanding that no sales of such cartridge will be made until Mr. Jamison and Winchester come to a written understanding of each other's rights.

Wagner Dec., Ex. 72.

Where evidence of an alleged contract is contained in letters or other writings, the court must construe them and see if they constitute a contract. Wagner v. Ranier Manufacturing Co., 230 Or. 531, 537, 371 P.2d 74 (1962). The acceptance must be "positive, unconditional, unequivocal and unambiguous, and must not change, add to, or qualify the terms of the offer." Id. at 538. The objective manifestation of acceptance to the offeror forms a contract. Gordon v. Curtis Bros. A.D. Moodie House-Moving Co., 119 Or. 55, 62-63, 248 P. 158 (1926) (en banc).

...Olin admits there was interest in a "JRW family" of cartridges. Indeed, plaintiff points to a letter written by Zimmerman when plaintiff questioned Olin's sale of the WSM as being in violation of the February 22, 1999 agreement.

?

A: No. Like I — I understood it as a letter saying that it was okay for us to go forward, and that we would negotiate an agreement.

Q: Okay for you to go forward, if based — if certain conditions were satisfied, correct; which were very explicit in this letter?

A: Yes.

Q: And did — is it your understanding that Olin-Winchester agreed to the conditions of this letter?

A: Yes.

[Judge]I deny Olin's motion for summary judgment.

3. Lack of consideration for the Express Contract

Plaintiff suffered a detriment and Olin obtained a benefit; as one of the developers of the JRW cartridge, plaintiff could have insisted that the hunt be cancelled, but he did not. According to plaintiff, Olin recognized at the time that either party had the right to cancel the hunt and insist on a license or similar agreement in order for the hunt to proceed. Recognizing that Olin needed to resolve the dispute before making any announcement, Corzine contacted plaintiff's lawyer in an attempt to reach an agreement.

Again, plaintiff has not moved for summary judgment on this issue. Accordingly, I must only determine whether there are any issues of fact precluding summary judgment. I find that if any contract was formed, there are material issues of fact as to whether valid consideration supported such a contract. Contrary to Olin's statement of the law, consideration may be based on the promisee's forbearance of some legal right to which he or she would have otherwise been entitled to exercise, not just forbearance from filing a law suit. Shelley v. Portland Tug & Barge Co., 158 Or. 377, 388, 76 P.2d 477 (1938); McPhail v. Milwaukie Lumber Co., 165 Or. App. 596, 601, 999 P.2d 1144 (2000). In his letter to plaintiff dated February 18, 1999, Corzine appeared to tie some agreement on royalties to the introduction of the JRW cartridge when he said, "we will be forced to terminate the immediate cartridge introduction and all subsequent JRW cartridge developments." Wagner Dec., Ex. 26. In this case, plaintiff may have suffered a detriment by forbearing his legal right to object to the hunt, and by allowing it to proceed without an agreement in place to protect him.

B. Express Confidentiality Agreement

As for the "Acknowledgment of Confidentiality" signed in April 1997, plaintiff claims the 62-page packet of confidential ballistics data was confidential, and that Olin breached its contractual duty of confidentiality under the Acknowledgment, with respect to the ballistics data, when it began developing plaintiff's concept with Browning.

Plaintiff has produced no evidence that Olin disclosed or used the non-public portions of the ballistics testing. I grant Olin's motion for summary judgment with respect to plaintiff's claim for express breach of contract based on the confidentiality agreement.

III. Fourth Claim for Relief: Breach of Implied Contract Against Olin

Plaintiff argues the existence of two implied in fact contracts. He alleges that Olin had an implied in fact contractual obligation to refrain from selling cartridges embodying plaintiff's concept without paying compensation to plaintiff, and an implied in fact obligation to maintain confidentiality with respect to JRW project information.

A contract may be express or implied. An implied in fact contract has the same legal effect as an express contract. Staley v. Taylor, 165 Or. App. 256, 262, 994 P.2d 1220 (2000). Unlike an express contract, in an implied in fact contract, the parties' agreement is inferred, in whole or in part, from their conduct. Id. "[A]n implied contract can arise only where the natural and just interpretation of the [acts of the] parties warrants such a conclusion." Id. at 262 n. 6, citing Owen v. Bradley, 231 Or. 94, 103, 371 P.2d 966 (1962). A party may manifest its assent to an implied in fact contract over time through its course of conduct. Montez v. Roloff Farms, Inc., 175 Or. App. 532, 536-37, 28 P.3d 1255 (2001).

A. Implied in Fact Contract to Refrain from Selling JRW-Type Cartridge

The sum of plaintiff's evidence is as follows. At the first meeting, plaintiff informed Olin that he expected compensation in the event Olin moved forward with commercialization. He subsequently informed Olin in writing on several occasions of his expectation for remuneration. A May 7, 1997 memo states that Olin's lawyers will "do a draft agreement with Jam[i]son" and that "whether or not we have a signed agreement will be part of the `go-no-go' decision on the Jam[i]son round." Wagner Dec., Ex. 96. Plaintiff asserts that Olin for the first time rejected his request for royalties in October 1998,*fn2 by sending him a request for a royalty-free license, and by stating Olin was "not prepared to go forward with the commercialization of the JRW cartridge concept" and would "terminate [the] development of the JRW Cartridge" unless plaintiff signed an agreement granting Olin a royalty-free license by November 6, 1998." Wagner Dec., Ex. 54. Plaintiff responded that he was not "willing to give away the rights to what [he thought was] a revolutionary cartridge concept — for nothing." Wagner Dec., Ex. 55. Olin sent a similar request for a royalty-free license to plaintiff in a letter dated February 18, 1999, set forth above. The telephone conference and exchange of letters between Olin and Vilhauer, also set forth above, confirmed plaintiff's refusal to grant a royalty-free license. Yet Olin proceeded with the introduction of the JRW cartridge at the hunt. After that introduction, the parties were never able to come to an agreement on the terms of plaintiff's compensation. Plaintiff asserts that the parties' course of conduct demonstrates that Olin understood it had an obligation to refrain from commercializing plaintiff's concept without compensating him.

Plaintiff relies on Kamin v. Kuhnau, 232 Or. 139, 148, 153, 374 P.2d 912 (1962), in which plaintiff hired defendant to implement improvements plaintiff had developed for garbage trucks. Defendant began manufacturing and selling trucks with similar improved features. Plaintiff sued, and the court recognized that "a manufacturer who has been employed to develop an inventor's ideas is not entitled to appropriate those ideas to his own use." Kamin, 232 Or. at 152.

Similarly, in Jaqua v. Nike, Inc., 125 Or. App. 294, 865 P.2d 442 (1993), plaintiff, as a clerk for defendant, disclosed a new type of shoe to defendant's vice president. The vice president encouraged plaintiff, even though plaintiff said he expected to be paid if defendant used his idea. After working on the shoe for two years, plaintiff terminated his employment with defendant. Defendant began marketing the shoe. The court found plaintiff's complaint alleged the existence of an implied in fact contract based on the "natural and just interpretation of the acts of the parties." Id. at 297. Olin argues it is undisputed that negotiations were unsuccessful and the parties were unable to reach an agreement on plaintiff's compensation. Olin contends plaintiff cannot create an agreement through implication when the parties very specifically did not reach an agreement. Plaintiff requested compensation, but plaintiff never asserts that Olin agreed. Olin consistently rejected the idea.

Olin distinguishes Kamin and Jacqua. Kamin was not an implied in fact contract case; the court evaluated whether there had been a wrongful misappropriation of plaintiff's concept. Secondly, it was undisputed in that case that the parties had an agreement. Likewise, the Jacqua decision gave no indication that the parties before it had failed to reach an agreement. Furthermore, Jacqua was faced with a statute of limitations question. The sole issue was whether the complaint sounded in tort or contract to determine whether it was correctly dismissed.

Despite Olin's heroic efforts to limit Jacqua's applicability to the case at bar, it is apparent from this case that Oregon courts recognize that when a party accepts and uses another party's ideas, knowing that payment is expected, an implied in fact contract may exist. Jaqua, 125 Or. App. at 297 ("We conclude that defendant's conduct in using plaintiff's idea gives rise to an inference that it agreed to compensate him").

Accordingly, I review the conduct of the parties to determine whether an agreement may be inferred. Viewing the facts in the light most favorable to plaintiff, until September 1998, there is no evidence in the record of Olin's refusal to consider paying plaintiff a license fee or royalty.*fn3 Furthermore, plaintiff has provided undisputed evidence of his extensive work on the 300 JRW during 1997 and 1998. Likewise, viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to plaintiff, the telephone colloquy and exchange of letters between Vilhauer and Corzine in February 1999 indicate a recognition on the part of Olin that plaintiff expected compensation for his contributions, and Olin's conduct in continuing to accept plaintiff's services belies its repeated threats to cancel the project.

It remains unclear whether the parties intended to enter into a licensing agreement but could not agree upon a royalty, or whether there were disputes, at least on the part of Olin which it communicated to plaintiff, about the desirability of a license agreement in the first place. I am also curious about how much plaintiff contributed to the project after he received the September 1998 letter in which Olin shared its "firm position . . . to offer no royalty payments." Wagner Dec. to Plaintiff's Opposition to Browning Motion, Ex. 10. If plaintiff continued to provide his services in the face of Olin's refusal to enter into a licensing agreement, the parties can hardly be said to have come to a meeting of the minds. Furthermore, questions remain as to whether any implied in fact contract covered JRW-type cartridges. On the other hand, if both parties continued negotiations, but were unable to agree on a royalty, and Olin used plaintiff's ideas anyway, Olin may well have breached an implied in fact contract. Accordingly, I deny Olin's motion for summary judgment on this claim as there are remaining material issues of fact.

B. Implied in Fact Confidentiality Agreement

With respect to the implied in fact confidentiality agreement, Olin argues that no implied in fact agreement can contravene the terms of an express contract. Uptown Heights Assoc. Limited Partnership v. Seafirst Corp., 320 Or. 638, 652, 891 P.2d 639 (1995) (en banc). Plaintiff and Olin expressly agreed upon the scope of Olin's confidentiality obligations in the Acknowledgment of Confidentiality completed by Olin employees.

Plaintiff responds that the parties owed each other the duty of confidentiality with respect to "jointly developed JRW project information" and that Olin breached that duty when it "used JRW project information in the development of the WSM." Plaintiff's Opposition to Defendant Olin's Motion for Summary Judgment on Counts 3 Through 8, at 47, citing Montez, 175 Or. App. at 536-37; Kamin, 232 Or. at 148, 152 (disclosure of confidential information which created a commercial advantage was "sufficient to raise the implied agreement not to appropriate it"). Plaintiff asserts this implied in fact contract was separate from the express agreement in that it covered different confidential information. Plaintiff offers no specifics about what he considers to be "jointly developed JRW project information."

Plaintiff asks me to extend Kamin to apply to circumstances in which information jointly developed gives rise to an implied in fact contract not to disclose that confidential information. I decline to do so. Plaintiff offers no authority, and I can find none, providing that information developed in a joint project warrants the same protection as information conveyed to another under the implied condition that it remain confidential. Accordingly, I grant Olin's motion for summary judgment on this portion of plaintiff's claim for breach of implied in fact contract.

IV. Sixth Claim for Relief: Breach of Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing Against Olin

Plaintiff alleges in his Complaint a claim for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing in both the express and implied in fact contracts analyzed above. Olin argues the claim should be dismissed because there is no contract. Even if there were a contract, Olin argues plaintiff has not met its burden of demonstrating the demands of any implied covenant accompanying the contract.

In every contract there is an implied duty of good faith and fair dealing that "is to be applied in a manner that will effectuate the [objectively] reasonable contractual expectation of the parties." Uptown Heights, 320 Or. at 645 (citation omitted).

If an express or implied contract exists, there is implied in that contract a duty of good faith and fair dealing. Accordingly, I deny Olin's motion for summary judgment.

V. Summary

Due to remaining material issues of fact, Olin's Motion for Summary Judgment is denied with respect to its breach of any oral or written express contract, its breach of any implied in fact contract to refrain from selling JRW-type cartridges, and its violation of any implied duty of good faith and fair dealing. Both the Browning defendants' and Olin's Motions for Summary Judgment are denied on the quasi-contract claim with respect to materials, equipment and facilities, but are granted with respect to any services for which plaintiff claims restitution. Finally, Olin's Motion for Summary Judgment is granted with respect to plaintiff's claim for breach of the express confidentiality agreement and breach of the implied in fact confidentiality agreement. CONCLUSION

Browning Defendants' Motion for Partial Summary Judgment on Quasi-Contract Claim (#295) is granted in part and denied in part. Olin's Motion for Summary Judgment on Counts 3 Through 8 (#328) is granted in part and denied in part. In addition, I allow plaintiff to voluntarily dismiss without prejudice Counts 7 and 8 of plaintiff's Consolidated Second Amended Complaint (#418).

IT IS SO ORDERED.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow!

Not what I thought I remembered at all. Thanks for posting that.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

Not what I thought I remembered at all. Thanks for posting that.

David

Still think Jamison is a �parasite� and an �SOB� with an �oversized ego� for defending his rights in court?

Other manufacturer's pay royalties because of Jamison�s patents. Whether or not those patents should have been issued is moot - they were issued and manufactures ignore them at their own risk. Winchester/Olin pay royalties as well, but they also ended up settling with Jamison out of court on other issues, the breach of contract being one in particular.

Note that while Jamison was in negotiations with Ruger first, Ruger decided not to proceed with production of the Jamison cartridge designs. Ruger later developed their own short-fat RCM based on the .375 Ruger case, which was a new design. The .375 Ruger and subsequent RCM cartridges have a .532" base as opposed to the WSM line which use a .555" base. By developing a new case, Ruger and Hornady avoided the whole issue of Jamison patents and royalties.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
All this legalese is just one more reason to stick with old and proven cartridges. Besides, I cannot see the slightest advantage to any of these short fats vs. the .300 WM. Are they more accurate? Do they offer higher velocity? Will the game notice your magazine is 1/4 inch shorter?

All these "new" cartridges do is clutter up the shelves and make distribution costs more expensive.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.