Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
a testimony from a very good guy that has been searching around for a tipi for some time looking for the best and he found it.

Here we are in 2015 and despite some compelling data and testimonials that there are better tipi fabrics and makers there are some who are not open to even consider alternative to the status quo. Yes, they are proven and that is certainly our option! I personally felt there has to be something better out there then the two options I though for a very long timer were my only tipi options�so I went looking. For those of you open to alternative to the stats quo, there are some very good options out there.

If I am going to invest in something, and I view a tipi as an investment, I am going to go with what I feel is the very best value for the money...even if that means paying double or triple. People do it all the time in other areas of their buying life�cars, clothes, etc. I am one that does not like looking back wishing I had gone with what my heart and mind was telling me I should have gotten (based on a lot of research) because I wanted to save some money or went with the flow. I have done it in the past and regretted it. If what I feel is the best and what I have concluded is what I really want, if I cannot afford�I now save to get what I really want when I can afford it.

What I find interesting is people will pay more for a Kifaru over a Seek Outside stating it is worth the extra money for as best I can conclude is a �peace of Mind� factor. In the case of a base 8 man that is $325 or 38% more for a base Kifaru over SO tipi�and keep in mind the SO has a lot of extras in their base model. If you could get those extras on an SO on a Kifaru, I think it is fair to say that $325 or 38% would go up even more.

Now, let me put this on the table. For those willing to pay in the area of 100% more than a Kifaru base 8 man tipi they can basically get what might currently be the ultimate fabric, Cuban, which the data indicates is far superior to Silnylon in strength and weight. So for in the area of 100% more one can get an ultra strong and ultra light tipi. To say the fabric is not proven is a misrepresentation, which I have found this tipi world is fraught with.

For those that do not want to pay Cuban prices, there is another fabric option I feel based on my research is also superior to Silnylon and that is Dyneema. It costs and wights a little more than Silnylon but it�s qualities are incredible. If I was not going with Cuban, I would be going Dyneema.

After a seriously lot of reasearch I am having Brian at Wyoming Lost and Found build me an 8 man tipi out of Cuban with everything I want. I will be taking it to Alaska in September on a Moose and Brown Bear float hunt to put it to the test. I feel very comfortable taking it because Cuban is a proven tipi and tent material and WL&F is a proven well respected tipi maker. For those who may say he is not a proven tipi maker, that too would be a misrepresentation.

The bottom line for those in the tipi market, you need to know there are options in fabrics and makers that offer you a great value. Reading forums like this is a great foundation for gathering information but don't just take what you read on this forum or what you hear from the makers...check things out yourself, validate what you hear or read as best you can.

Once you start talking to those that make these tipis you will start putting the pieces together and be able to tell who is trying to blur things and who is straight. Also, when it comes the the fabrics, there is a lot of info out there from what I would call small businesses that are using them. There are a lot of great source of information out there that some in this industry I have concluded do not want you to know about!!!

Once you have done your research, then go with what your heart and mind tells you is best for you.

mercy triumphs over judgement
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
up

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
up

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
up

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ttt

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
up

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
�Industry standards�
The industry is constantly telling the consumer what is the best for them and therefore ,they write the rule book/ textbook on what is the �proper� execution or method/procedure for the best performance or longevity of a product�..

this is a very misleading and even deceiving practice because the big corporations or money companies in charge of the research, design and production of a product are also first and foremost, worried about their bottom line. money. Why sell you a product that will last 20 yrs. when they can sell you one that will last 5 and convince you that that is the expected life of a product when it should be 20 yrs? they want it to fail eventually so that you will have to replace it with another �new and improved for this year� version of the same rubbish�.

an example of this is stitch length. industry standard is 10-15 stitches per inch. this creates 10-15 holes per inch in the fabric of the product thus creating a perforation or tear line. why not increase the thread diameter and decrease the stitch per inch to 8-10. this is what we do to minimize the number of holes per inch in our top quality fabrics. the fewer holes per inch while maintaining seam integrity is ideal. instead of many holes creating a tear line, fewer holes will increase the strength of the seam. an added advantage of the 8-10 stitch per inch is increased water resistance. the fewer holes, the less amount of water dripping inside your tent.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
you ever sell one of these things ?

Billy

Turn em loose ...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
nope

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
multiple camos and fabric weights avail.
acu,atacs,multicam,marpat, etc.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Send me a demo unit? grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ok, send me your DL and we can probably arrange it

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i need some sort of collateral

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
just buy one, it would be easier. i can make you a deal that you might be happy with...plenty of guys on here to testify that me stuff is above the bar

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whambasted
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fitting. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
right? LMAO

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GO Patriots!

seahawks are ok though

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ttt

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.