Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator 6.5 Creedmoor with a feeding issue and would appreciate help in correcting or at least troubleshooting. Wondering if it's a common M77 problem which has a simple or common solution?

The problem occurs on the first(top round, loaded forth) and third round (loaded second) which are the ones in the magazine staggered left. Pushing the bolt forward will slide the cartridge ahead, the front will tip upwards causing the case head to slip downwards off and below the bolt face resulting in the bolt wedging against the side of the cartridge case, about midway, essentially fubar'd.

Hopefully the description is adequate for those familiar with the Ruger to give me a suggestion or two. Assembly seems 'correct' and I have not experimented with different CAOLs.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds like the mag lips are a little tight, essentially the same issue as some ruger americans have.

look here towards the bottom of the first page,the photos from shortactionsmoker.
sounds like the same issue your having.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...test_on_Ruger_American_223_m#Post8949238

Last edited by fluffy; 01/24/15.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds like the mag lips are a little too wide to me allowing the caseheads to go back down under the feed rail instead of forcing them up and out from under the rail. Take the box out and tweak the lip of the magbox in about 1/16th of an inch at a time until the rounds pop out from under the rail and onto the bolt as the shoulder touches the feed ramp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" Pushing the bolt forward will slide the cartridge ahead, the front will tip upwards causing the case head to slip downwards off and below the bolt face resulting in the bolt wedging against the side of the cartridge case, about midway, essentially fubar'd."

like this?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fluffy; 01/25/15.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Sounds like the mag lips are a little too wide to me allowing the caseheads to go back down under the feed rail instead of forcing them up and out from under the rail. Take the box out and tweak the lip of the magbox in about 1/16th of an inch at a time until the rounds pop out from under the rail and onto the bolt as the shoulder touches the feed ramp.

Seemed this was going to help, a bit, but no matter the magazine lip, the angle when the cartridge is at when the side of the bullet is on the feed ramp seems to be the problem. Specifically the cartridge is contacting the feed ramp (the bullet is) and the action's left feed rail at the curved portion when the head drops. At this point the cartridge is contacting the cartridge below in the magazineand possibly the right magazine feed rail.

Tried some cartridges loaded .030" shorter, no bueno. Going to order a new mag box and start over. Have a long action Hawkeye and everything seems to line up better with the magazine feed lips...

Any more relevant hints?

Last edited by oregontripper; 01/30/15. Reason: edit

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anything?

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Could it be a spring/follower issue? Just trhowing it out there. I have had several Rugers and all fed. Even one that was rechambered in 223AI.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.