Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Rockinbar, I take EVERY claim of Soviet sniper totals with a tablespoon of salt.

grain of salt definitely BUT the eastern front was an extremely target rich environment too....some ways more so than our troops faced the last 10 years....so wouldnt put them as impossible either

From what I've read, in many of the cities on the Eastern Front, the snipers were shooting at ranges of 10's of meters rather than 100's or 1000's as today..In those days, exceptional field craft would have been needed more so than any other skill..

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The top German sniper of WWII was Matthias Hetzenauer. 345 confirmed kills and Russian soldiers WERE stupider than the average German soldier. Given the sheer avalanche of Russian troops, he should have had 1000 kills. Reality. Russian snipers were NOT as good as they are presented. Communist propaganda. period.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
Rockinbar, I take EVERY claim of Soviet sniper totals with a tablespoon of salt.

grain of salt definitely BUT the eastern front was an extremely target rich environment too....some ways more so than our troops faced the last 10 years....so wouldnt put them as impossible either

From what I've read, in many of the cities on the Eastern Front, the snipers were shooting at ranges of 10's of meters rather than 100's or 1000's as today..In those days, exceptional field craft would have been needed more so than any other skill..

More like executions and/or typical combat shootings than actual sniping?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It may be a new record for the Royal Navy, but certainly not a new record as far as sniper kills.

Would you care to elaborate who has higher?
(editted to add I ask that in relation to recent conflicts as I know some German and Russians notched up impressive scoires during WW2)

Many have more kills.

This is just the Soviets mentioned.

Soviet[edit]
Semyon Nomokonov (1900 – 1973), a Soviet World War II sniper with 367 logged kills.[21]
Fyodor Okhlopkov (1908 – 1968), was one of the most effective Soviet snipers, credited with 423 confirmed kills during World War II.[18]
Lyudmila Pavlichenko (1916 – 1974), was the greatest female sniper. She served the Soviet army and has 309 confirmed kills.[18]
Ivan Sidorenko (1919 – 1994), credited with over 500 kills during the Second World War.
Vasily Zaytsev (1915 – 1991), a Soviet sniper who fought at the Battle of Stalingrad. Zaytsev is credited with 242 kills (including 11 snipers).[18]
Nikolay Yakovlevich Ilyin 496 kills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snipers

Because of the propaganda used by all, but especially the Russians, we will never know the full count. And they usually operated alone without a team member.

No doubt the totals were very high, but Stalin would have demanded high numbers to give to his people and without question, he got them.

Today our confirmed kill standards are very tough.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure I would be particularly boastful of this stat.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The top German sniper of WWII was Matthias Hetzenauer. 345 confirmed kills and Russian soldiers WERE stupider than the average German soldier. Given the sheer avalanche of Russian troops, he should have had 1000 kills. Reality. Russian snipers were NOT as good as they are presented. Communist propaganda. period.

true but there is one other thing....the germans seemed to give a chit about their stars so im guessing Matthias got to go to the rear for R&R now and then and for publicity appearances like Rommel or any of the others......the Russians didnt do this even for propaganda except in very rare circumstances choosing print and radio propaganda heavily instead....guessing SOME of the Russians had high tallys cause it was that or die so some got damn good and if someone got good the reds were gonna keep them on the line killing people....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George, really what is the difference??? A fighter pilot rockets and bombs a convoy and kills 500 men. An artillery strike massacres 1000 men. A drone controller slays 50 folks,innocents included. Of ALL of them, the sniper is at he greatest personal risk by FAR. None of the others sees the face of the enemy. A submarine torpedoes a troop transport. Yet people choose to denigrate the sniper who is nothing more or less than a VERY first class infantryman. Why??

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rattler, Ludmilla was sent to Olde Blighty. The Russians knew the value of propaganda perhaps better than anyone. I call mostly bullcrap on their high claims.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Interesting video from the history channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37_tzOM9UGE

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Enemy at the Gates: Stalingrad

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

More like executions and/or typical combat shootings than actual sniping?

gotta remember most WWII sniping was at alot closer ranges than alot of the stuff happening in Afghanistan...whole lot of it on all sides was done at ranges more akin to what a law enforcement sniper sees....300 yards was often a long shot....well inside 150 was quite common on all sides....our guys did a fair amount of house to house fighting in cities as well.....we didnt get stuck with a Stalingrad but it wasnt all open field fighting on our end either....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is everyone so pushed out of shape about this? Pete - A big thank you to our "special friends" the British, and I hope this fine gentleman sniper lives a long happy life. I thank him for his service, and I thank the Brits for always being there. I just hope your liberal elite treat this gentleman better than ours treated Kyle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GG, I am in full support of our Blimey Limey sniper!! Lord knows how many of the Good Guys he saved. I just LOVE to get into fights over the commie propaganda creations.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I hosted a Marine sniper (wounded warrior) a few years ago on a deer hunt, him & his wife spent several days with my wife & I & it was the most enjoyable thing I've ever done. He was so humble, they were both young, very much in love & he had no regrets about his line of work. He did tell me the Afgan fighters were very brave compared to the Iraqi fighters but he had no problem when it came time to pull the trigger. He said he never shot one that wasn't trying to kill him or one of his fellow Marines & he would gladly go back except he couldn't because he had both ear drums blown out when one of his guys stepped on an IED. We spent part of one day shooting, it was amazing!

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Why is everyone so pushed out of shape about this? Pete - A big thank you to our "special friends" the British, and I hope this fine gentleman sniper lives a long happy life. I thank him for his service, and I thank the Brits for always being there. I just hope your liberal elite treat this gentleman better than ours treated Kyle.

pushed out of shape? not at all.....discussing history is all....no disrespect intended or given to the Brit...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

At least, and I'd up it to a ton of salt. Especially with the garbage they were generally shooting with.. Good show, Pete!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

At least, and I'd up it to a ton of salt. Especially with the garbage they were generally shooting with.. Good show, Pete!

granted i have not had my hands on any WWII scopes i have had WWII era german mausers and mosins....the mosins may look fuggin crude but even general run ones can be quite accurate, plenty accurate for the sniping they did....most the long range sniping in WWII was in North Africa and the Alps, not the eastern front....the Finns had no problem taking Russian Mosins and making damn accurate guns either....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joken2
[quote=EvilTwin]Rockinbar, I take EVERY claim of Soviet sniper totals with a tablespoon of salt.

gotta remember most WWII sniping was at alot closer ranges than alot of the stuff happening in Afghanistan...whole lot of it on all sides was done at ranges more akin to what a law enforcement sniper sees....300 yards was often a long shot....well inside 150 was quite common on all sides....our guys did a fair amount of house to house fighting in cities as well.....we didnt get stuck with a Stalingrad but it wasnt all open field fighting on our end either....

The point of my question was if it is possible that part of the multiple hundreds of kills attributed to some of the Russian and German snipers of WWII could have included typical warfare close quarters combat kills as well as some executions of combat/non-combat personnel/POWs rather than all actual sniping kills of enemy combatants.

(Had to delete my previous post from the quoted posts above as the forum rejects too many quotes in a row)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Pete, job well done by your man. I actually hope his kill number is low because those he shot are like coyotes and the only good ones are dead!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.