Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Doesn't help me any, but I guess I could pick up a few more flood certs in lieu of a subdivision. eek

just develop in the flood zone, use fill to bring it above the BFE, than file a LOMR-F.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I guess all the people that work oil refineries, ports, CG, NAVY etc etc should live in South Dakota and commute to their jobs daily in Texas/Florida/LA etc etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I guess all the people that work oil refineries, ports, CG, NAVY etc etc should live in South Dakota and commute to their jobs daily in Texas/Florida/LA etc etc.

A house boat comes to mind......

Feel free to keep trying to convince me to subsidize oil refineries......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RWE

Doesn't help me any, but I guess I could pick up a few more flood certs in lieu of a subdivision. eek

just develop in the flood zone, use fill to bring it above the BFE, than file a LOMR-F.

Oh, but not here, most all jurisdictions here have a NO FILL in the flood plain policy for development. Don't ask why, it is embarrassing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We really need a revamping that discourages building on flood plains. Yes, harbors, docks, etc are required, but second homes, cities, and such are not. Why anyone goes to the expense of rebuilding on the same lot when they've had 4 ft of water in a living room is beyond me.

Last spring a news person was interviewing a retired couple. When they purchased their home they were told there had been no water there for 13 yrs, so they thought they were safe. HELLO?
Wake up people.

There should be some substantial effort to accurately define flood plains, but it should be buyer beware for those that want to buy and build. If they can afford private sector insurance that's fine, but Gov should not run agencies to bail everyone out and put them back into the same lot.

We repeatedly see folks in our closed basin move in, buy and build in the flood plain against everyone's advice, and then put everyone else at fault when the water shows up the third year. I'm sorry, but you were warned. The price for beach/lake front property can be very extreme in the long run.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/03/15.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

They could always build their refineries in South Dakota. How hard could it be to develope transportation means to the rest of the world, build a work force from the reservations and make the climate more temperate?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
We really need a revamping that discourages building on flood plains. Yes, harbors, docks, etc are required, but second homes, cities, and such are not. Why anyone goes to the expense of rebuilding on the same lot when they've had 4 ft of water in a living room is beyond me.

Last spring a news person was interviewing a retired couple. When they purchased their home they were told there had been no water there for 13 yrs, so they thought they were safe. HELLO?
Wake up people.

There should be some substantial effort to accurately define flood plains, but it should be buyer beware for those that want to buy and build. If they can afford private sector insurance that's fine, but Gov should not run agencies to bail everyone out and put them back into the same lot.

We repeatedly see folks in our closed basin move in, buy and build in the flood plain against everyone's advice, and then put everyone else at fault when the water shows up the third year. I'm sorry, but you were warned. The price for beach/lake front property can be very extreme in the long run.

That sounds pretty easy doesn't it? Let them eat cake.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wake up people.

Agreed, and the exact same logic should be applied to fire zones in the PRK as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, they've gotten away with hijacking health care (so far) they might as well hijack where people can live.

In other words, it's another power grab. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well, they've gotten away with hijacking health care (so far) they might as well hijack where people can live.

In other words, it's another power grab. smirk

Wrong. No one called for .gov to be in it. In fact, the call was for .gov to get OUT of it. Let private insurers dictate the market for property insurance. Right now, .gov subsidizes people to live in places where they get flooded or burned out, time and again, and the taxpayers foot the bill.

That's wrong, and it needs to stop.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds pretty easy doesn't it? Let them eat cake

No. It's a version of let them eat bread. Cake only if they can afford it.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/03/15.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 4ager

Wake up people.

Agreed, and the exact same logic should be applied to fire zones in the PRK as well.

Throw in hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes (insert natural disaster)...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think the 7th Fleet should relocate to N. Dakota. The CG could move all operations to S. Dakota and I guess shipyards would be right at home in Wyoming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old high water marks are not hard to spot.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then there are all those fertile river bottom lands that produce LOTS of crops. Farmers can grow corn on Pike's Peak.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm required to have flood insurance where I live. The house I'm in is 90 years old, has never flooded. In fact flood waters have never reached the levels that my house is on in recorded history, but a portion of my property (down the hill) is in the flood plain, so I'm required.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Then there are all those fertile river bottom lands that produce LOTS of crops. Farmers can grow corn on Pike's Peak.

While we are at it, we might as well stop subsidizing farming and let everyone pay for what it really cost to grow a head of lettuce or an ear of corn, on Pike's Peak no less.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm required to have flood insurance where I live. The house I'm in is 90 years old, has never flooded. In fact flood waters have never reached the levels that my house is on in recorded history, but a portion of my property (down the hill) is in the flood plain, so I'm required.

there is a process to get rid of that requirment if you are interested, but with your home being outside the floodplain your insurance is likely cheap and worth having anyways.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yes, the insurance cost is only $250 a year and I'd have it anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Wake up people.

Throw in hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes (insert natural disaster)...

Absolutely.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.