Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Recently purchased a buckmark. I have never had a pistol with a scope. What would you recommend. Scope , red dot? Thanks for any advice!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Red dots are a hoot on a .22.

I used to take my sons to a range where we set out golf balls at 75 yards. They shot offhand with scoped rifles. I used a .22/45 with a red dot standing, but leaning against a post. I held my own.

BTW, to make a golf ball disappear, hit with a .348!

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mulenbucks: I have a contest going on with myself - how can I have MORE fun than I already have when Hunting Ground Squirrels?
The answer I found is to buy some semi-auto pistols with heavy barrels and great triggers and get after those little Varmints with those arms.
I have several Ruger heavy barrels (seven of these) and another batch of Buck Marks (four of these and another Buck Mark heavy barrel pistol/Rifle thing) and amongst these the ones I have the most fun/success with are the ones with "red dot" sights!
I find I can kill Ground Squirrels out to about 75 yards with these red dot equipped rigs - not every shot mind you but often enough to make the Gophers real antsy!
Yes, "I" can definitely do better with the red dots than I can with either open sights or with a traditional pistol scope.
I know I can definitely "acquire" the target quicker with the red dots and sometimes I even fire at moving Ground Squirrels with the red dots - not so with my scope sighted pistols.
And most of my red dots are rather inexpensive types like $60.00 to $80.00 IIRC.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey thanks for the responses. What red dot scopes do you like for plugging squirrels. And what magnification? One more question is a reflex sight like a burris fastfire a good option? Thanks

Last edited by mulenbucks; 01/14/15.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mulenbucks: I should have made myself more clear the "red dot sights" I am using are not magnified scopes with red dots in them.
They are the non-magnifying type devices that just project a tiny dot downrange. Sometimes the dot is red and sometimes green and sometimes (at my choice) the dot can be changed to circles, circles with dots etc.
I am not sure of the proper names of these - I call them "red dot sights".
Let me know if I can be of more assistance to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the only scopes i've used on any of my pistols have been traditional 2X or 4X fixed power scope. i had a 2X on my Ruger Mark II and i had a 4X on my Savage Striker in 7-08 rem but that was shot at a min of 100 yrds. i did shoot my buddies mark II with red dot and enjoyed it alot. if i wanted a stalking woods pistol fro tree rats i think i would go with a conventional 1X or 2X scope. if i wanted something for shooting stuff on the go i would then use a red dot. why not get both and quick release mounts? just swap and go for the day as you need.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MB,

My BuckMark has a TruGlo reflex type sight on it that I like very much.

The sight is less than $100. Has two color choices and several brightness levels.

From a bench, I can work over a soda can at 100 yards pretty easy.

TacSol ( IIRC ) has a great combination scope base/rear sight mount that I used.

I sighted in the rear irons first, then the reflex in case I find I need to run w/o the optic for some reason.

[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
VarmintGuy,

I was looking just online at Ruger MarkIII Hunter and Buckmark Hunter. Thought about mouting a scope with QD rings. They seem very similar. Can you advise me?

How do the two stack up? Triggers? Accuracy? The Ruger looks a little more solid a design and fluted stainless. But, my experience has been (on average) that gun for gun the Browning has made better rifles. In this case, I am leary of that canter lever Buckmark scope mount.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a 3x T/C scope on my varmint model in this pic:

[Linked Image]

Dave

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have that Buckmark with a 7 1/4" barrel and the same scope. It is very accurate and the trigger is real nice. I hate the breaks like glass saying, but mine does.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 257_X_50, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.