Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
No such thing as a good lightweight Vanguard... The actions are too heavy and adding a pencil thin barrel does not make matters better. They are great for mid-weight-range rifles.

I would have to differ in the case of the new fluted-barrel S2 Back Country rifle. I tested one in 30-06 and found it, at 6 3/4 lbs., to be in the "light enough" category -- and very accurate, especially with Fed Trophy Copper and TTSX. I did not need another 30-06, but I simply could not send that rifle back. In this age of 5 lb. rifles, it's worth remembering that the original Model 70 Featherweight weighed 6 3/4 lbs. IIRC.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem is not the final weight, IMO, but the whippy barrel attached to the same action as every other HOWA/Vanguard. If carrying the extra weight I want it doing something positive.

I like the rifles just fine but not the ultralight versions...
YMMV

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

If there's an issue with the "whippy" No. 2 contour fluted 24 in. barrel on my S2 Back Country, I've yet to notice it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Browning original BLR. I think that I'd like the Browning 1885.

I think the Browning X-bolt and the Browning A-bolt are about the worst bolt actions built since 1898. I'd take a Russian WW1 rifle over a Browning bolt action. Heck a long knife is better than a rifle that doesn't function. The knife is easier to carry too.

The Vanguards are a good rifle for the money.

The comparison is like a corvair with a powerglide and 4 doors vs. a high performance corvette.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

If there's an issue with the "whippy" No. 2 contour fluted 24 in. barrel on my S2 Back Country, I've yet to notice it.

[Linked Image]

Getting them to shoot well enough for hunting purposes is not an issue... I do not like how they handle, at all. And that is based on a lot of experience with a lot of different actions performing the same task with a lot more grace. And doing it with even less weight.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

[Linked Image]

Getting them to shoot well enough for hunting purposes is not an issue... I do not like how they handle, at all. And that is based on a lot of experience with a lot of different actions performing the same task with a lot more grace. And doing it with even less weight.

I understand your point of view, but the OP wasn't asking about other actions/rifles. I'm simply pointing out that there is a lighter alternative within the S2 line and, as you can see, it shoots considerably better than "well enough." I have no issues with how it handles -- and neither do all the people who have tried to buy that rifle from me. You don't like it, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had several Vanguards over the last ten years or so. My Back Country in .300 Win Mag that I bought a year ago last December is by far the best. It has kept everything I have tried in it (factory and hand loads) under an inch for three shots at 100 yards. With a 3-9x33 Leupold Compact and a sling, it weighs 7 lbs 4 oz. It has the best factory trigger that I can remember using. I hunt on foot, and not from stands or blinds, and almost always in mountain country. I like the way that it handles. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You and I must be the among the few people who actually like the Leupold 3-9x33. Many seem to find the eye-box unfriendly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
You and I must be the among the few people who actually like the Leupold 3-9x33. Many seem to find the eye-box unfriendly.

I have had that scope on a six-lug Mk.V .280 AI for several years, a Rem 700 muzzle loader and a Vanguard .308. I have never had problem with eye relief. I sent it back to Leupold in November. They gave it a good going over and it is like new. Just got a good one, I guess...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've got it bad for a BC S2. I've been waiting for a 7 Rem Mag, but may have to make that 06 happen.

Kentucky I'd love to read your review.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I still don't understand why people constantly complain about the weight of a rifle and climbing hills. Go to the gym and you will likely cast off far more excessive weight than a pound or two used in the rifle's build. It is just plain silly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I still don't understand why people constantly complain about the weight of a rifle and climbing hills. Go to the gym and you will likely cast off far more excessive weight than a pound or two used in the rifle's build. It is just plain silly.

You have just proven you are clueless about what is really involved in a tough hunt...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have just proven you are clueless about what is really involved in a tough hunt..

LOL
I bet he knows how to oil a trigger

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

You have just proven you are clueless about what is really involved in a tough hunt...

I suppose you've performed all of those tough hunts is amazing shape with no extra weight around the belly, right?

I see far too many folks with 40 extra lbs, easy, complaining about a pound on their rifle...laughing.

Originally Posted by Snyper
[

I just flush my Walker's with lighter fluid and call it a season. Leaves a preservative behind that protects the metal. No oil in a trigger group...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have just proven you are clueless about what is really involved in a tough hunt..

LOL

Oiling a trigger? Really?

You have painted yourself neatly out of the group with a clue... Your oiled trigger would fare worse than the bare, ultimately, though not so quickly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I suppose you've performed all of those tough hunts is amazing shape with no extra weight around the belly, right?

I see far too many folks with 40 extra lbs, easy, complaining about a pound on their rifle...laughing.

[

I just flush my Walker's with lighter fluid and call it a season. Leaves a preservative behind that protects the metal. No oil in a trigger group...

Well, actually I have done a great many, and then some... but certainly shy of "all" of them. I have even posted photos of me on a mountain sheep hunting with a Rugger 77V, which I still have.

Backing out the other side of middle age I am no where near the animal I was four decades ago, but I am smart enough now to know how stupid it is carrying more rifle than needed, weight-wise.

And for starters, my brown bear rifle is no light-weight and I have used it for a lot more than just brown bears over the years. There are lots of rifles to fit lots of situations and ultra-lights need not be "do-alls". If mountains are not on the menu heavier rifles are no issue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've always liked browning products but all I have are Browning Shotguns. The old Howa made 300 Weatherby Vanguard has been a reliable but heavy rifle.

Every year after elk hunting I look for ways to lighten the load going up the hill including my belly - I haven't tried the rifle yet. But after packing out a front quarter about 3 miles with 2 800'+ climbs at altitude - I carried a hunting partners rifle on the way to get the truck about another mile because it was a pound lighter this year.

Lighter is better in the mountains. If you hunt from a vehicle it really doesn't matter - but a reliable accurate rifle is more important than a light one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes really, since you claim rust is the problem.
Or did you forget that?

The metallurgy in the trigger group is suspect and when introduced to Kodiak-style rain it oxidizes so fast the linkage wire freezes the trigger to a locked-up and useless mode.

Generally it takes about three days of "Tuesday" to cause it. Few make it past a week. If they do they will likely never be a problem.

Last edited by Snyper; 02/06/15.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You build your resume with every post... Keep it up. You have been given lots of hints and you missed them all.

Congrats!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yes really, since you claim rust is the problem.
Or did you forget that?

The metallurgy in the trigger group is suspect and when introduced to Kodiak-style rain it oxidizes so fast the linkage wire freezes the trigger to a locked-up and useless mode.

Generally it takes about three days of "Tuesday" to cause it. Few make it past a week. If they do they will likely never be a problem.

You never put oil in a trigger. That is the dumbest idea one can do. Why no grease up the FP Assy while you're at it.

Like I said, lighter fluid has a metal anti-corrosion property to it. Saves your favorite Zippo from corroding. This works well for triggers to clean by flushing, then dries quickly and completely, leaving a protective film that wont keep and hold every spec of dust, dirt, and grime that it comes in contact with.

Oil goes nowhere near a trigger...

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.