Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was VERY fortunate to obtain my perfect "one rifle" battery early in my career. I had owned a few "woods rifles" (.35 Remington, .44 Magnum, ect.) but decided I needed a "real" ong/short range deer rifle. This story is a bit long, but over a few years I obtained my "perfect" rifle.

I was young (20) and newly married and had almost no "extra" money to spend. I had learned to work on the family rifles over the years for minor repairs and decided I could "build" a rifle from a military action cheaper than I could buy a commercial rifle. This was actually true in those early days if you could do most of the work yourself.

I went to a friend who was a gunsmith and asked if he had any actions I could buy....cheap. He told me to go into the back room and see what I could find in the barrels. He meant that statement literally as I found 3 55 gallon drums filled with various actions and barreled actions he had collected over the years.

After several hours of searching, I found what I was looking for....a military (straight bolt/stepped barrel) barreled action that was pretty clean. Best of all it was an FN Mauser 98. Even then in those early days of my rifle looney affliction, I knew what an FN Mauser was, so I took it up front. he looked it over and declared it a proper choice. When I asked how much, he told me, "Oh, give me $15....I'll never use it anyway".

We talked a while about what I was about to attempt (sporter conversion) and I Told him I would probably put on a .30-06 barrel eventually, but for now the 8x57 caliber (which I assumed a military mauser would be chambered for) would do. As we talked I kept looking at the end of the barrel, it looked too small for an 8mm. He pulled out headspace gauges and discovered the rifle was already chambered in .30-06. Many years later I discovered this rifle was one of a special lot of rifles used by the nation of Columbia for high-power rifle competition. They were selected for outstanding accuracy.....and I soon learned very well selected.

I had another friend who owned a sawmill where he made pallets. I told him to be on the lookout for walnut (which he got in from time to time) and cut me a board thick enough for a gunstock. He just happened to have a few walnut logs that had aged for several years in his woodpile. With tools borrowed from my friend, I began to learn the art of inletting a stock (NOT a project I'd suggest for a novice....but I was broke and had more time than money). After months I finally had a stock (crude though it was) to put the action into.

That first year I used the rifle with the crude military sights and straight bolt to take two deer. After the season I started it's conversion. Under the watchful eye of my gunsmith friend I learned how to bend the bolt down to clear a scope and drill and tap the action. He made me do all the work, but loaned me the tools and made sure I didn't screw it up. I added a low swing safety from Brownell's and a Weaver K4 scope and removed the military sights.

I still intended to change the barrel sooner or later, but made the mistake of actually shooting the gun first. To my surprise it shot 3/8" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. I was afraid I'd never get back to where I was as far as accuracy....so that original barrel is still on the rifle after all these years.

Over the next few years I improved the shape of the stock (based on what I learned was "right" for me), added a fore end tip, and with the help of a machinist friend cut off the crude bend-down bolt handle and welded a new lower handle to the action. I learned you can shape metal with files and patience as well (if not better) than you can with power tools. I reworked the trigger to obtain a single-stage pull of 2 pounds (which has since been replaced with a Timmeny...also set at 2 pounds).

I bought a set of checkering tools and taught myself to checker stocks. That first effort isn't perfect, but it is damned good and does the job like I wanted. Once again it was a situation of more time than money. In three years time I had a great rifle that is "perfect" for me as to shape and function. The scope has been upgraded to a Leopold 3x9 variable.

For some 10 years this was my ONLY big game rifle. Then it was the main rifle I used for all really important hunts and it never failed me.

Over the next 39 years that rifle has been simply amazing. I kept good records and it has 138 one shot kills to it's credit. Only two misses which were both totally my fault. My family refers to it as "The Magic Rifle" because of the frequent one shot kills (some quite difficult. I believe I was very fortunate on some of those shots (lucky).....but with a record of 138-2 maybe it's time to discount "luck" from the equation.

After more than 5000 rounds I put through the rifle (and who knows how many before I got it) the guilt-edge accuracy has began to slip a bit. It will still put 5 shots in under an inch at 100 yards. Because I hate the idea of rebarreling it after all it's history the "Magic Rifle" has been semi-retired I now hunt with other rifles more than I do it, but it's still the rifle I reach for if I am after a "special" buck or I need a boost of confidence. I have taken deer, hogs, elk and exotics with this rifle.

If I had to do it all again, I think I'd make the same choice for a rifle. If I was suddenly limited to a single rifle, that would be the one (maybe with a new barrel.....although a sub-1" groups is still pretty good as far as I am concerned).

With the .30-06 chambering, I'd not hesitate to take any game animal in North America (including big bears....with a bit of care in shot placement). For elk, moose or the big bears I "might" choose a different rifle (since I now own a LOT of different rifles), but I have no doubt the .30-06 would do the job as long as I do mine(even on the occasional Chupacabra).

I was lucky to land the "perfect" rifle in my earliest days.....and after nearly 40 years I haven't found anything I think would have done a better job.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thanks for asking sam. already have it.

Lucille

rem 700 6.5x55
currently wearing a zeiss conquest 4.5x14
shooting 140 accubombs, 140 parts, 120 ttsx, 130 accubombs, 156 onyx. she shoots them all well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/rockchucker/hunting%20pic/003-1.jpg[/img]

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rem 660, 308, in a Brown Precision stock, Pachmyer Decelerator, Talley Lightweights, Vari XII, 165gr Ballistic Tip. If bigger than deer was in the mix it would be a Partition

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tough one as I will be hunting brown bear next year and buffalo the following or the year after. Given that, my BRNO 375 H&H. I have used the H&H on elk so whilst overkill for them and the lessor stuff I cannot afford to have underkill for the larger stuff. Bullet would likely be the 270 TSX. Optics are either a 1.5-5X or 2-7X Leupold both in Alaska Arms QD's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I found it a few years back.
Sako 85 Finnlight,308 Win. Leupold VX3 2.5-8
end of subject.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If I could have only one I would go with my ss howa .300 win mag that sits in a Mickey Sako classic stock. It has a zeiss 3-9x40 on it and shoots Barnes 150 gr ttsx at 3300 fps. It is about .75 moa out to at least 400 yard, which is as far as I would shoot at an animal. It has killed elk and deer out to 300 yards without any problems. If I wanted to I could load it down if I was just planning on using it for deer.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
TexasRick....that is a GREAT story - thanks for sharing!!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/06/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Tough one as I will be hunting brown bear next year and buffalo the following or the year after. Given that, my BRNO 375 H&H. I have used the H&H on elk so whilst overkill for them and the lessor stuff I cannot afford to have underkill for the larger stuff. Bullet would likely be the 270 TSX. Optics are either a 1.5-5X or 2-7X Leupold both in Alaska Arms QD's.

This is the reason one rifle is maybe not such a hot idea. If a guy travels to hunt,takes on bigger/tougher/more dangerous than home grown deer,elk,moose black bears,etc. then IMO the one rifle business goes out the window and adding something like a 375 or 9.3 is a prudent idea IMO.

I don't want to lug a 9# 375 up a mountain for mule deer but I can if I have to....and I don't want to wade around after Cape Buffalo with a 270.Yeah I know people kill Cape Buff and brown bear with smaller, standard cartridges....good luck to them. I want a 375. smile

Those of us who stay at home can get by with pretty standard stuff but a guy who hunts internationally for bigger stuff is better served with more bullet weight.

Forget the "people can't shoot them" conversation....unless handicapped physically, you can learn if you practice with them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the replies, kinda fun to read all the different ideas!

Later today I might do a quick tally on cartridge and rifle make.

Originally Posted by keystoneben
A lot of interesting rifles/combos posted. Not surprised most are Rugers and Winchesters.... Grin

Sam, didn't mention your "ideal" setup.

Ben, my 'ideal' rifle would be a Kimber MT in 270 with a 6x36LR or 6x42LR.

140 Accubond or Partition of similar weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that load is the median of all BG cartridges.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd keep my stainless, Remington Model 7 in 260 Remington. It is in an HS Precision stock and has a 22 inch, fluted Hart barrel. The action has been squared and bolt lapped. It shoots way better than I can shoot it. There isn't much left that I want to shoot, that it wouldn't handle just fine.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson

If you could only hunt with one rifle for the rest of your life, what would it be?

How would you scope it?

Bullet?

Use?

As a looney I have other rifles, but basically only hunt with one of them already-

-LH M70 Classic action trued/bridges ground/trigger-safety worked/Williams extractor
-22" FW contoured SS Shilen SM .308 1-10 chambered in 3o-o6 Springfield
-Williams Orberndorf bottom metal
-McM Hunter's EDGE

-scoped with a VX3 2.5-8x36 mounted in S&K lows

-shoots 150 & 168 TSXs very well and they have worked OK so far... wink

-Elk, bear, sheep, and the occasional deer of opportunity.

Only thing I'd change with the setup- add LRD reticle to the scope if it were available in the 2.5-8...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds like a horrible decision to have to make but I'll play along.
Assuming no Africa or big bears are on the menu-N/A big game.
Kimber Montana
270 Win (I almost said 280AI)
Talleys
Leupold 6x42 or 6x36.
I would hope it shot 140 Accubonds, 150 Partitions or 130TTSX well but nice to be able to rely on factory ammo in a pinch-since I can only have one rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wrongside
As a looney I have other rifles, but basically only hunt with one of them already-

-LH M70 Classic action trued/bridges ground/trigger-safety worked/Williams extractor
-22" FW contoured SS Shilen SM .308 1-10 chambered in 3o-o6 Springfield
-Williams Orberndorf bottom metal
-McM Hunter's EDGE

-scoped with a VX3 2.5-8x36 mounted in S&K lows

-shoots 150 & 168 TSXs very well and they have worked OK so far... wink

-Elk, bear, sheep, and the occasional deer of opportunity.

Only thing I'd change with the setup- add LRD reticle to the scope if it were available in the 2.5-8...

Wrongside, your "Franken Rifle" is one of my favorite Campfire Rifles! My 270 is very close to it.

I know you BP hunt a bit, ever considered ditching the heavy Williams bottom metal for the lighter PT&G aluminum?

BTW, Leupold will do custom dots in your 2.5-8x36... mine is going back for that treatment.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PennDog
TexasRick....that is a GREAT story - thanks for sharing!!!

PennDog

This....

Texas Ricks story reminds me of an uncle of mine who recently passed away. When he was just a kid he acquired an 03 Springfield in 30/06. The only modification he made to that rifle was a custom peepsight. I remember my uncle saying that a $50 rifle is all you need for a lifetime of hunting and he was right.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remington 700 308, howe stock and duracoated for weather resistance, and redfield scope. yep I have that one at home. I'd load up 165 partitions and never look back on anything I'm going to hunt(Not into hunting things that might eat me). Even if I load it up hot, that howe stock takes any bite out of the recoil. I don't use the partitions much around here because whitetail just don't require them, but I have used them and they work great. That gun also doubles as a great woodchuck gun when loaded with 125gr. sierras. Great all around gun and round.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is my One Gun...

Model 70 338 Win Mag
Swaro 2.5x10
Talley QD's
McMillian Pre64 Monte Carlo
Turner 1907 Sling

[Linked Image]

I run 225 PTs or Bitterroots at 2900 out of the rifle. Can't as for much better than either of those two can provide.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rifle fits me well, shoots where I look and just does as it is supposed to on command.

This was Pre McMillan

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With what I have right now:
Ruger MKII SS/Lam in 338 Win Mag
Leupold 3-9X40
210gr Partition

BIG Dreams (ie unrealistic):
Echols Legend 30-06
S&B w/ turret
200gr Accubond

Would like to have:
Kimber 84L 30-06
Bushnell LRHS
180gr. Partition

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think I'm going to have to pick the Kimber MT in .308 or 7-08 with WTF bullet you feel like killing stuff with and the 6X42 with LR.

I am smitten:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nothing much different than many others have already posted and my focus excludes African/Asian big/dangerous stuff and the biggest bears (not much interest in the bears, personally).
Model 70 (pre 64 or later crf) in 270 (could be a 280 just as easily); fwt or douglas barrel style shank profile for any of the top barrel makers and about .600 at the muzzle, 22-23" long; a Brown Precision, or Bansner (I wish they were a few ounces lighter), or Mcmillan edge, either a compact or the fwt pattern (stocks in the order of preference); leupold DD or talley LWs (low or extra low, depending on scope), and a latest generation leupold variable 2.5x8, 3x9 or 3.5x10, any of the three will do. Plain old duplex reticle works for me, though you could talk me into the LR reticle easily enough. Nosler 150 partitions or Barnes 130 TSX/TTSX, if stuck on one bullet weight per brand, either brand/bullet would not cause me much concern. All up weight should be 7 1/4-7.5 lbs. Cost being no object I'd be talking to D'Arcy Echols or a few other top end gunsmiths for the work and minor tweaks on the recipe!
In a factory rifle a good shooting model 70 fwt in 270 in a decent synthetic comes awfully close, for me!
If cost was no object I'd like a duplicate of the same custom rifle recipe with a real quality wood stock fitted to me along the lines of JOC's #2 rifle as well, for nicer days and easier hunts!
Interesting to think about it to help focus on what we really want. Add in the possibility of a fly-in northern hunt where you are on your own and reliability comes sharply into focus.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.