-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I have not found a link, so far, to your story and strongly doubt that it is true." Bowsinger.

Campfire rule I didn't know about. If Bowsinger can't find an internet link, it didn't happen.

Sorry..... grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ADD - "Many of his popular contemporaries (Jimmy Stewart, Ted Williams, etc.), as well as, the general population - in his circumstance -, jumped through some small hoops to enlist and serve. ..."

Neither Jimmy Stewart nor Ted Williams had to jump through any "small hoops" nor did they "enlist."

James Stewart was already a pilot in the USA A.F. Reserve, and Ted Williams was already a trained fighter pilot in the USMC Reserve. Both already had highly useful military skills. They were going to war no matter their celebrity status.

In 1941/'42, John Wayne at 35 years of age, had no military skills whatsoever, unless one were to count his having used a Winchester rifle in Stagecoach. wink

Wayne did have a bum knee from playing football at USC. How much that would have affected his being in the military I do not know, had he been a military member.

I strongly suspect that the Army or whichever branch of service, would never have placed Wayne in a combat unit.

More than likely he'd have been making training films and traveling out to the American cities and towns to sell war bonds.

One could counter that by saying, "Well Clark Gable joined the USA AF when he was 42 years old, so there!" Uh huh, but Gable was absolutely devastated by the death of his wife, the actress Carol Lombard, who was killed in a small plane crash when she was on a U.S. War Bonds selling trip. Gable never got over his grief about her death and from what I've heard really didn't care much at that time if he were killed fighting.

Gable, however, after Basic Training was appointed an officer and assigned to training machine gunners who flew on our bombers to be accurate firing at moving targets. Gable was well known as a fantastic shot hunting ducks, geese, quail, etc. Gable did fly as an unassigned side gunner on a bomber for several combat missions, unknown to his superiors "upstairs." It was stated later he made a partial kill on a German fighter.

Many years ago in L.A., I knew a man who was NOT in show business but he'd been Gable's good friend and hunting partner. He told me that Gable was taken off flight status and his superiors said "Captain Gable, we have no shortage of side gunners on our bombers, but there is only one 'Clark Gable.' You're going home to sell War Bonds." Which he did.

Long odds are if John Wayne had been in the military, he'd have been selling War Bonds too.

Just my take on it.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 02/07/15. Reason: Correct typo.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"Mister, I haven't got a bigoted bone in my body, but if you don't drop that axe, I'll kill you just like I would a white man".

Cahill, US Marshall.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.