Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Alright.... I am in the market for a new little rimfire rifle. I currently have a good ol' trusty 10/22 but toying the idea of buying a new rifle. Having a little baby girl requires a new rifle right? I thought so at least. For all you that are sharper than me, what are the pro's and cons' and which would you choose and why.

Thanks, I am torn.... I go back and forth.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a new little hottie, deserves the newest little hottie......

17wsm in the ruger. forget the bmag. she's better, and deserves better, than that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have they officially introduced it yet???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My favorite of the three: 22WMR

The 22WMR is the 458Lott of the current rimfire world... heavier 40-50gr bullet = better penetration for the larger (dangerous) micro-game downrange, but can be found with 30gr bullets that fragment like crazy.

Use enough gun, 'cause those Marmots charge unprovoked.

That said... I really don't think you can make a bad choice if your just looking for an excuse to purchase a new rifle. Just know the limitations of each...

22WMR Pros: Bucks wind a little better, holds together a little better at impact and retains better penetration abilities on larger varmints. Long term popularity with consumers. Normal brushes/cleaning rods can be used.

22WMR Cons: Higher trajectory arch, Ammo availability.

17HMR Pros: Flat trajectory and explosive on small game. Ammo might be easier to find. Popular with consumers. Can use a piece of dental floss with a knot to clean the bore if you lose your bore-snake. grin

17HMR Cons: Wind, Shallow wounds on larger varmints. Current ammo availability is on par with the 22WMR. Dental floss boresnakes blow away easy in the wind.

17WSM Pros: Flatter trajectory, extra explosive (in theory) and may be available with a broader bullet weight range.

17WSM Cons: Just introduced, unpredictable life expectency/popularity/availability.

Congrat's on the new little girl!!!

Last edited by Stump Buster; 02/03/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Remington 597 in 22 Magnum that is my favorite called 'cat rifle. I have shot a few urban whitetails with the 22 Magnum and would feel comfortable doing so again if the range was short and the bullets had the proper construction.

That said, I think that it is easier to find an accurate OOTB 17HMR rifle than almost any other rifle/cartridge. The first 17HMR that I bought was a Savage 93R17BVSS that has never shot worse than MOA if the wind wasn't blowing and there was a competent guy behind the trigger.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stump Buster

The 22WMR is the 458Lott of the current rimfire world... heavier 40-50gr bullet = better penetration for the larger (dangerous) micro-game downrange, but can be found with 30gr bullets that fragment like crazy.

That said... I really don't think you can make a bad choice if your just looking for an excuse to purchase a new rifle. Just know the limitations of each...

22WMR Pros: Bucks wind a little better, holds together a little better at impact and retains better penetration abilities on larger varmints. Long term popularity with consumers. Normal brushes/cleaning rods can be used.

17HMR Pros: Flat trajectory and explosive on small game. Ammo might be easier to find. Popular with consumers. Can use a piece of dental floss with a knot to clean the bore if you lose your bore-snake. grin

17HMR Cons: Wind, Shallow wounds on larger varmints. Current ammo availability is on par with the 22WMR. Dental floss boresnakes blow away easy in the wind.

17WSM Pros: Flatter trajectory, extra explosive (in theory) and may be available with a broader bullet weight range.

17WSM Cons: Just introduced, unpredictable life expectency/popularity/availability.

I am with Stump Buster here.

I toyed with the 17HMR a couple of times, but for me it came down to more "THUMP" and better wound channels on all game with a 22WMR. At the time I made my choice, 22WMR ammo was readily available, and just about everywhere. It is a little harder to fond now than 17HMR for some reason, but rimfire ammo availability is making a big comeback and I still love my 22WMR.

If I need to shoot at something that is too far away for a reliable, deadly hit with a 22WMR, I reach for one of my centerfire varmint rifles. To me, rimfires are for fun shooting at 75 yards and less. Yeah, I hit a ground squirrel at 200 lazered yards with the 17 Hummer when it first came out, and hits out there are not all that hard with it, but the kill was not quick and for that range I MUCH prefer my 222 or 223.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youngster,

Don't pass up a chance to rationalize a whole new facet in the world of shooting, kids and education.

.22 Hornet/.218 Bee/Reload 'til your arms are sore.

If you want to pay for it over time, get the stuff needed for casting bullets. You can hand load cast bullets in either cartridge, exceed the velocity performance parameters of the rimfires in both directions if so inclined. Versatile, economical and....fun.

Just to give an example or three:

-Let's say you buy a Ruger 77/22H and put a scope on top.
-buy the brass or factory ammo
-buy the press/dies and accoutrements
-45 grain cast bullet-lead $1/# = 155 bullets (6/10ths cent per)
-pound of powder @ $30/# = about 1400 reloads with velocity in the 2000 fps range, adjust as necessary. That's 2.14 cents/pop
-primers run .03-.04 each these days.
-gas checks are a couple cents or less/unit, but they are not needed with milder loads, that meaning ballpark 2,000 fps or less.
-loaded ammo @ roughly 6-7 cents/round.

If you can beat that price as compared to any quality rimfire
ammo and most bulk junk ammo ignore everything above.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Originally Posted by Stump Buster

Thanks for the very helpful info. I think I will go with the gold standard then and grab a .22 WMR, seems like the best/safest bet at this point.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you think the 22 mag bucks wind better than the HMR, you obviously have never used both. The 17 drifts significantly less.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickF
If you think the 22 mag bucks wind better than the HMR, you obviously have never used both. The 17 drifts significantly less.

this is truth ...

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am a bigger 5mm Rem fan, but thats me.

For the OP's question, I'd look to pre0order the new Ruger in 17 WSM. It looks to be sutiably built. The BMag has nothing I like about other than the chambering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

For the OP's question, I'd look to pre0order the new Ruger in 17 WSM. It looks to be sutiably built. The BMag has nothing I like about other than the chambering.

Has Ruger decided to go much beyond the Hawkeye prototype they built for Shot?

There isn't anything about the WSM last I checked.

gjh

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

Has Ruger decided to go much beyond the Hawkeye prototype they built for Shot?

There isn't anything about the WSM last I checked.

gjh

Not that I have seen. But I'd still rather not settle on a BMag...I can wait...

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Rick, expand... I hate the wind, so like things that can buck the wind better... smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm#Trajectory

Study the chart closely, and you'll eschew the WMR. Have fun with the new HMR d:^) .

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Youngster,

Don't pass up a chance to rationalize a whole new facet in the world of shooting, kids and education.

.22 Hornet/.218 Bee/Reload 'til your arms are sore.

If you want to pay for it over time, get the stuff needed for casting bullets. You can hand load cast bullets in either cartridge, exceed the velocity performance parameters of the rimfires in both directions if so inclined. Versatile, economical and....fun.

Just to give an example or three:

-Let's say you buy a Ruger 77/22H and put a scope on top.
-buy the brass or factory ammo
-buy the press/dies and accoutrements
-45 grain cast bullet-lead $1/# = 155 bullets (6/10ths cent per)
-pound of powder @ $30/# = about 1400 reloads with velocity in the 2000 fps range, adjust as necessary. That's 2.14 cents/pop
-primers run .03-.04 each these days.
-gas checks are a couple cents or less/unit, but they are not needed with milder loads, that meaning ballpark 2,000 fps or less.
-loaded ammo @ roughly 6-7 cents/round.

If you can beat that price as compared to any quality rimfire
ammo and most bulk junk ammo ignore everything above.

+1 on this. The little girl needs to learn how to roll her own anyway in the future. You will have more fun to Boot!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Make that +2. Brass is problematic right now though.

If not a reloader or just wants to shoot, the .17 HMR is widely regarded at the most accurate, just not the killer of larger stuff like the WMR. Too powerful for edible small game as well, but the ultimate plinker, I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in total agreement about the 17HMR being very accurate. Everyone I've ever owned was anyway. I've got a 77/17 that's scary accurate.

As far as the 22 Hornet goes. That's one I've always wanted and took care that a few weeks ago. I found a nice little BRNO ZKW 465. I can't wait to get out and give it a run. I was in the FT Worth, TX Cabelas last week and they had Hornady and Prvi on the shelves. Aim Surplus gets a new shipment of Prvi in about once a month and they charge $21 for a box of of 50. It doesn't last long.

I don't know anything about the .17 WSM and have had really bad luck finding an accurate .22WMR but that could just be me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm a .17 HMR fan. I resisted for 2 years, then buckled. Not long afterwards we had a component shortage. We had a 2 box limit on HMR so I'd stop by the store each night on the way home from work and get 2 boxes. By Saturday, while everyone else was whining about the .223 and .22-250 they couldn't feed, I was out slaying rodents. For sheer numbers I had the best varminting year of my life probably because there was no "competition."

That said, I think there is plenty of room for both a .17 HMR and a .22 magnum in the rack. There are very worthy things that the heavier bullet of the .22 mag does do better. I would not want to be without both.

Whether the .17 WSM has a niche in my world will depend on the ammo cost. The extra "poop" may not be worth the cost, it may be that when it's time to spend that much I'll just drag out my .204.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Ya, I am leaning towards a .17HMR now actually. I have yet to hear anything negative really about it. I have been holding off like you Tom, but... time to give in and bite the bullet. I am trying to decide now between the browning T-bolt, CZ 452, and the Savage 93/17 number number number...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,922
Posts18,498,484
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.