Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
Brad,
Are you able to keep packs in the vestibules of the HHHP?

I never keep a pack inside a tent vestibule. There's just no need to. They're always outside with a pack cover on. But the all gear I need fits in the vestibule.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Roger... thanks.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I never keep a pack or any other chewable or "smelly" gear NEAR my shelter, due to Porcupines, Pikas and Packrats chewing stuff and bears being attracted by any odours.

I hang everything, except gun, ammo, emerg. and 1st-aid kits and water/pee bottles (CAREFULLY marked and separated! smile ) and thus can sleep in peace.

Brad, that HUBBA HUBBA HP is about the slickest little rig for old gimps like me that I have yet seen. I would buy one, but, have some rifles I have lusted after for years just become available and I am a total gun slut.

I agree, tho', that looks like what you call "The Schizzle" for a solo backpacker and like it would work in most crappy weather, especially if sheltered in second growth young timber to mitigate really harsh winds.

That said, I am thrilled to find the CF replacement pole sets for my two ID tents as they are no longer made and one of mine is slightly bent...thanks, bud!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dewey, you don't need to carefully mark the water and pee bottles to tell 'em apart, there's a much easier way.

By the taste!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Phil, you are one SASSY young varmint! smile

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good to see you Kute. grin

Missed seeing you around here sir.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Hello,

I am looking for a mountain hunting tent for backpacking. I plan to use it here in CO for pack-in fishing as well as elk, mule deer, and knock-on-wood, sheep hunts (I apply all over).

I am wanting a 2 man tent with a vestibule. I am thinking I might do a DIY caribou in AK sometime in the future.

I am open to any suggestions you all might have on here. I am also open to REI, as I have a dividend to burn.

Thanks!

Lots of good advice here.

Looking for a 2-person Mountain Tent for what you describe, I'd get the HP (High Performance) version of the MSR Hubba Hubba. I have two of the Hubba HP's (1 man version), and it's my favorite alpine hunting/backpacking tent.

These are not available in North America, and I got mine here... good people to deal with:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/msr-hubba-hubba-hp.html

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/fr/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba-hp/product

I'll set you back $550 US but will be lighter and more storm worthy (the EU versions have better coatings than the USA models) than many costing more.

You can also get Carbon Fiber poles from Fibraplex to further reduce the overall weight.

http://www.fibraplex.com/tentpoles.htm

My Hubba HP with Tyvek Footprint and Fibraplex poles weights 2lbs 12oz's ready to go.

The Hubba Hubba HP can be configured to come in under 4lbs all-in.

I far and away prefer a side-entry, double door, double vestibule tent to any other style 2 man tent by a WIDE margin.

Personally I'd not carry the weight of a Hilleberg, and also believe they're a bit overrated for their expense. In that weight level I'd definitely be carrying a tepee/stove combo.

Those little suckers make a lot of sense. But no one tent does it all. But for me, The Hubba HP comes close.

+1 on the Hubba HP. I have had one since last year and it is the tent I reach for unless it is expected to be a blizzard out.

It feel bigger then my Soulo on the inside, is about as easy to set up and I have far less condensation so far.

This plus its is about 2/3 the weight and half the size rolled up.

I still will probably use my Tarptent Contrail in the Summer though b

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
+1 on the Hubba HP. I have had one since last year and it is the tent I reach for unless it is expected to be a blizzard out.

It feel bigger then my Soulo on the inside, is about as easy to set up and I have far less condensation so far.

This plus its is about 2/3 the weight and half the size rolled up.

I still will probably use my Tarptent Contrail in the Summer though

I've been contemplating a Contrail for a while. Its replacement, the Protrail, just came out and I'm really not so sure it's an improvement. I had a Rainbow and found it too apt to collect condensation... so many tents, so little time.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like my MSR Hubba Hubba tent. Does real well for me in the SE AK alpine. I think I picked it up for $250 on the classifieds here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SNAP

Brad, that HUBBA HUBBA HP is about the slickest little rig for old gimps like me that I have yet seen. I would buy one, but, have some rifles I have lusted after for years just become available and I am a total gun slut.

I agree, tho', that looks like what you call "The Schizzle" for a solo backpacker and like it would work in most crappy weather, especially if sheltered in second growth young timber to mitigate really harsh winds.

That said, I am thrilled to find the CF replacement pole sets for my two ID tents as they are no longer made and one of mine is slightly bent...thanks, bud!

No problem Dewey. Happy to help an old fart!

Would say, while I don't have the Hubba Hubba HP, I've used my Hubba HP (solo version) above timberline in 50+ mph winds and driving rain without a problem. It's about the most waterproof tent I've ever had.

I'd agree its profile likely doesn't make it ideal for 100 mph winds coming sideways, but good guying make it perfectly fine for lesser. All in all it's a fine mountain tent for the needs being expressed on this thread, and I like the non-mesh design of the HP version in colder weather.

I have a Hubba Hubba (non HP/mesh version) as well, but that's more for summer backpacking with my wife. However, can't see any fault using it into the fall either.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Walrus Warp 2that is 15 yrs old & Hilleburg nammatj 2gt is 10yrs old. Both would work for you, however the Walurs is harder to pack down small due to the rapid hub pole system.
I picked up a S.O. Back Country shelter that I used twice one year & sold & have a SL5. I won't bring the SL5 as my only shelter. To many issues I don't like with floorless single walls for me. I wouldn't be afraid to try a good 3 season but I don't really know whats out there since I haven't looked for a long time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you buy any foreign made [bleep] and complain about our problems here then you can just shove off...

i don't care about who's U.S. made wares you do buy as long as it is really made by Americans and not some home based foreign sweatshop which are very real by the way....

you make more than 40,000 a year you should be ashamed to use anything made in a sweatshop

mercy triumphs over judgement
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Like Brad I greatly prefer dual side entry in smaller 2P tents. Thus ,of the SO tents, I use the LBO and BT-2 a lot in the summer time. Good points, on labor. It should be noted, we pay what we consider a good living wage to seamstresses, more so than other nearby manufacturers. Part of the cost with 8 or 10 panel , is just the amount of sewing. If you count up the feet of sewing and number of box stitches, it adds up even with machinery to make it faster. Expensive materials add up as well and have a lot of of benefits, even if cheaper materials may suffice it doesn't make sense to use them in labor expensive products. If you look at some of the f European Tipi style tents, the pricing is not much less if the tent is sewn in asia.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I can confirm the Hubba Hubba and copper spur as good tents. Most MSR products are excellent; tents, stoves, snowshoes all superb. Big agnes is hit or miss in my opinion. Another good tent brand is Nemo.

For what you looking for (Winter camping in CO, maybe AK) I would highly recommend the REI Cirque ASL tent. This is a borderline four season tent with a weight on the heavy side of a summer tent at a cost far less than the true four season tents from MH, Marmot, Hill, and others.

For any late season to winter camping I would not recommend a tent with mesh sides unless said mesh can be zipped closed. The cirque offers the flexibility of mesh or solid side panels. I have used this tent in everything from sand storms in Moab (try a mesh walled tent in a sand storm, not fun) to climbing Mt. Rainier and everything in between including bow through 3rd season hunts in colorado. Tent is also well built for multiple guy line attachment points for anything but typhoon conditions.

Like others said, side entry tents are superior for two people unless you plan on digging in to the side of a snow covered mountain.

Lasty, tents can be cheap. Cheap tents will leak, probably sooner rather than later. Mid price tents from established backpacking brands will last you many many seasons. I have 200+ nights in a Hubba solo tent and it is still water proof.

And yeah, winter camping is cold. Fill up a nalgene with boiling water and throw it in your sleeping bag. Much lighter than a four season tent.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dludi
And yeah, winter camping is cold. Fill up a nalgene with boiling water and throw it in your sleeping bag. Much lighter than a four season tent.

dludi:

A thermos with an insulator works better than a Nalgene bottle but, of course, the thermos is heavier. I couldn't find an insulator big enough to take a thermos, so I built my own using foam rubber and duct tape. At night, I first temper the thermos and then fill it with boiling water and put it inside the insulator and then inside my backpack. In the morning I have hot water for instant cocoa and oatmeal without getting out of my bag.

I suppose that you use your Nalgene bottle in the bottom of your sleeping bag to keep your toes warm. I don't put mine inside my sleeping bag. Too worried about it maybe leaking.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
So much bs about floorless tents. OP, you'll stay drier in a floorless tent than any with a bathtub floor, if you're not an idiot. A floorless tent of appropriate size leaves plenty of room to function without touching condensation on the tent walls. The condensation will not drip onto your bag unless you pitch it super flat and stretched out.

I can think of one scenario to which the bomber 4-season tent is suited: High alpine where you have no choice but to camp on a ridgeline or high saddle.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If some uninsured act of God destroyed all of my worldly possessions and I could afford but one tent to hunt with, it would be a replacement for my golite sl4.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use Reflectex insulation (foil lined bubble wrap) and aluminum foil tape for all my "cozys"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using floorless shelters since 2000. Kifaru -- 8-man, supertarp and sawtooth. Spent many nights in all three from -30F to near triple digits and I have never once wished I was in a different type of shelter. Been in every climatic condition possible and have yet to be disappointed.

P.S. I won't 'put-down' other shelter options since I have limited experience in those other options available.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.