-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently purchased a Colt 1902 that has magnificent bluing as you can see by the reflections in the pics. There is a couple spots where it rusted a tiny bit and a scratch in the frame, also seen in the pics. The finish appears to be original to me but I am no expert. The barrel might as well be new. It shows very little sign of wear. S/N is in the top of the 36k's.

Were it not for the couple spots on the finish, the gun would look nearly new. I am unsure how to value such a piece. Please help.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ps, no box or paperwork.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If that is original finish it will bring north of a grand.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am pretty sure it is as the edges are sharp and no signs on the markings. The blueing is super deep unlike stuff seen today. The wear areas are simply not worn. It appears to have been in a collection for a long time.

I should be able to trade it for an ar then....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AR guys don't want that old piecer........grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yours may be the Military Model, with the lanyard ring.

These guys tend to be high, but it might put you in the ballpark. They have good photos of several different examples.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-pre-war-automatics/

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
I recently purchased a Colt 1902 that has magnificent bluing as you can see by the reflections in the pics. There is a couple spots where it rusted a tiny bit and a scratch in the frame, also seen in the pics. The finish appears to be original to me but I am no expert. The barrel might as well be new. It shows very little sign of wear. S/N is in the top of the 36k's.

Were it not for the couple spots on the finish, the gun would look nearly new. I am unsure how to value such a piece. Please help.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A mirror finish doesn't sound right for a 1902 Colt.

Take a look at this gun, notice that not only is the finish not mirror it's also a much lighter blue than yours, almost a translucent gray. That's Carbonia bluing.
http://w.coltautos.com/1902mci_38341.htm

[Linked Image]

I have seen 1902's and guns of that era both Carbonia blued, and slow rust blued. The slow rust blue would produce a more black finish, but it's usually even more matte than Carbonia bluing.

A rust blued 1902 would look more like this
[Linked Image]

Just speculation on my part, but yours appears to be a re-blue using hot caustic bluing process. Looks like they did a decent job, but the finish is not right for the gun.

Understand this is just speculation based on some not so great photos on a forum, the only real test is looking at it up close.

One of the easiest ways to tell if a gun has been re-blued is by looking at pitting on the gun. If the edges of the pitting are sharp and discolored, chances are it's the original finish. If the edges are rounded just a bit, and there is no discoloration to the edges, then it has been re-finished.

Reblue or not, you have a super cool pistol there. If re-blued it should get you over a grand just because the blue job appears to be well done, and the rest of the gun seems to be all there and in good condition. If it really is the original finish, then it could go anywhere from $2k to $3k...ish. Just my .02

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure it is as the edges are sharp and no signs on the markings. The blueing is super deep unlike stuff seen today. The wear areas are simply not worn. It appears to have been in a collection for a long time.

NOOO!!!

Stop and find out what you have before you agree to a trade for an AR! Otherwise it had better be one hell of an AR.

Even if that's a re-blued gun it's worth at least what a very nice brand new Colt AR would go for. If the finish is original, then it's worth 2 or 3 AR's. Find out what your pistol is really worth before you let someone take you for a ride.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm going to hell because I lust...

That is one heck of a Colt - DANG!!!!

Last edited by alukban; 02/11/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A mirror finish doesn't sound right for a 1902 Colt.

Take a look at this gun, notice that not only is the finish not mirror it's also a much lighter blue than yours, almost a translucent gray. That's Carbonia bluing.
http://w.coltautos.com/1902mci_38341.htm

[Linked Image]

I have seen 1902's and guns of that era both Carbonia blued, and slow rust blued. The slow rust blue would produce a more black finish, but it's usually even more matte than Carbonia bluing.

A rust blued 1902 would look more like this
[Linked Image]

Just speculation on my part, but yours appears to be a re-blue using hot caustic bluing process. Looks like they did a decent job, but the finish is not right for the gun.

Understand this is just speculation based on some not so great photos on a forum, the only real test is looking at it up close.

One of the easiest ways to tell if a gun has been re-blued is by looking at pitting on the gun. If the edges of the pitting are sharp and discolored, chances are it's the original finish. If the edges are rounded just a bit, and there is no discoloration to the edges, then it has been re-finished.

Reblue or not, you have a super cool pistol there. If re-blued it should get you over a grand just because the blue job appears to be well done, and the rest of the gun seems to be all there and in good condition. If it really is the original finish, then it could go anywhere from $2k to $3k...ish. Just my .02

My pic is under a florescent light with a cell phone. In good light it looks very much like the first pic. I will get some light box pics. I took it to a local who deals with high end guns who had the same pistol. Three folks who have been around these agreed it is original finish. There is zero sign of a soft edge anywhere. I will get some quality pics up soon.

I wish I could keep it forever, but it will have to go eventually as I had to buy a pile of stuff to get this one......unless a bastardized broomhandle will bring some return $.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek

NOOO!!!

Stop and find out what you have before you agree to a trade for an AR! Otherwise it had better be one hell of an AR.

Even if that's a re-blued gun it's worth at least what a very nice brand new Colt AR would go for. If the finish is original, then it's worth 2 or 3 AR's. Find out what your pistol is really worth before you let someone take you for a ride.

I was kidding. I would not trade the mona lisa for legos......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and absolutely, positively, NO .38 Super ammo smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
and absolutely, positively, NO .38 Super ammo smile

Quite honestly, I don't even want to shoot it. It is a "looker at er' " for me. I rarely spend that kind of money.....but it was a moment of weakness....lol.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Research it thoroughly then sell it for something you'll enjoy shooting. I owned several collector type Colt revolvers a few years back and I never shot them, fearful of reducing their value. I sold them all and took the money and bought guns that I now shoot and enjoy all the time. I don't miss those old Colts one bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My pic is under a florescent light with a cell phone. In good light it looks very much like the first pic. I will get some light box pics. I took it to a local who deals with high end guns who had the same pistol. Three folks who have been around these agreed it is original finish. There is zero sign of a soft edge anywhere. I will get some quality pics up soon.
As long as your convinced. Best of luck to you, I hope you make a lot of money on that one. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.