Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ok - have seen some previous posts on these, most seem to like them. Well I picked one up at Cabelas this weekend and I was very impressed. For me the fit was great, love the slim stocks and the Dura touch feel, light enough and the trigger felt decent. Now I am a pretty die hard Tikka fan and have great luck with the 3 that I owned. I know the stock itself on the tikka is ok but the feel of it just gets me everytime and unless dishing out $500+ for a manners or mcmillan your left with B&C which just feels to bulky for me...thinking of giving an x bolt stainless stalker a try. Interested to hear a few things regarding accuracy and the durability of the dura touch stock, specifically does is scratch easily when moving through the woods. I know the looks of the x bolt arent for everyone but I kind of favor them over most other rifles. Any thoughts or insights would be much appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tough call between an X-Bolt and a Tikka.

Not sure which is more scratch resistant.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hogue might be a good option here?

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Unfortunately I dont think Hogue makes a model for Tikka, that I am aware of anyway.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Based on recent comments regarding the x-bolt - as long as you don't expose it to saltwater cause the trigger will rust up.... and on and on and on.

I have an X-bolt and have owned A-Bolt II's in the past. The X-bolt is a good rifle, fit and finish is excellent and every Browning I've ever had has been able to do 1" at 100 out of the box with several different factory loads. Interestingly enough, the X-bolt I have now prefers a "dirty" barrel. I have a Sako A7 with the soft touch and it handles abuse very well. If you like the X-bolt - go for it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From what I see I like the X-bolt. I've handled them a good bit as the LGS is a Browning dealer. I can't convince myself I want one yet but you never know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dura touch may cause you problems in the future. It can get real, real sticky. Service center will claim you got a chemical/solvent on it that caused it. I have a shotgun that had it. Had it removed and the stock redipped. Lots of folks have had trouble with it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys, that was exactly the information I was looking for (but not hoping to hear since I like the look and feel of the x bolt). Guess I would need to give it more thought.

Hawk - you mentioned redipping, was this through Browning or an after market company?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aftermarket

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have both and hunt with both. Total crap about the trigger freezing or rusting up. Also total crap about the dura touch stock melting. browning makes excellent rifles. They shoot lights out right out of the box.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just bought a secondhand X-bolt in 325WSM, and it shoots like stink! I have limited factory ammo for it at the moment so have only shot a few rounds through it. (I'm waiting for some dies and more factory ammo to show up.)

It shot a 0.75MOA group at 100yards (3 shots) and MOA at 200yards (3 shots). Can't wait to work up some reloads. I can see this rifle being my new favorite hunting rifle (position currently occupied by my 308 Remington 700ADL).

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I have both and hunt with both. Total crap about the trigger freezing or rusting up. Also total crap about the dura touch stock melting. browning makes excellent rifles. They shoot lights out right out of the box.

I guess Hawk_Driver is lying?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning Gold shotgun, Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. Gun sat in the safe for a year without being used. Pulled it out for dove season, the checkered areas, so sticky it would leave fingerprints.

Not the first case of this. Ask/search around. Browning claims I got chemicals/solvent on it. Wrong! Tried to sell me new ones, with Dura Touch on it. Guy that stripped and dipped it, claimed he did a bunch of these for Browning, and they suddenly stopped sending stocks.

I have nothing against Brownings, own an ABolt, 2 Citoris and the Gold. I would never buy another one with Dura Touch on it again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

There are three different posters here that have posted within the last 48 hours that hunted with me on Kodiak with an A-Bort that experienced trigger failure within the week. I have seen several others.

Is that what you mean by total crap?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have seen the rubbery coating get gummy, but I've also seen it last a long time as well. It must be like the run of Sims pads that went gooey, a "bad batch" as they called it. My SX3 DT is holding up well. My Sx2 DT was holding up well too, but I decided to have it removed and dipped in Mathews Lost. Several of the hydrographics folks are coating with the rubbery finish as well as an option. It was explained to me as just being a different type of clear coat after the dipping process unlike the automotive grade clear coat they normally use.

The guy that dipped my SX2 told me the DT was a real bear to remove.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought my daughter an X-bolt. Needed a left handed rifle for her. The compact version in 308 with wood stock. It shoots lights out and the trigger breaks like glass. I wouldn't hesitate on another.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Zero problems with my Duro-touch Browning stock and I've had mine for 4 years and hunted in snow, freezing rain and heat. I've never experienced this so called sticky problem. Zero problems with triggers. Browning makes quality firearms.

Last edited by 7X7X7X7; 02/11/15.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Ed - this is good to hear since I bit the bullet last night and picked up a 25-06 from cabelas used as they are having the 10% off used guns sale..looks to be in great shape and no wear on the dura-touch. Was a little dissapointed in the trigger pull even when backing out the adjustment screw all the way. Hope to get to the range this weekend with some loads and give it a shot. I can say when putting it next to the Tikka its head and shoulders as far as fit and finish, the true test will be to see how the accuracy stands vs the tikka, going to be tough to beet the accuracy out of them I have been seeing. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always liked Browning A bolts for their accuracy. My two experiences with X-bolts (owned by a friend that I was helping try to get it to shoot) left me shaking my head. Unacceptable accuracy. Browning replaced the barrel on the one, and then the action, and then it was sold. The other finally shoots reasonably, but is finicky. He is back looking for older A-bolts.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,191
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.