Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
With the announcement of the new Glock G40 which is a factory 6" long slide 10mm, I am actively contemplating putting together a hunting auto loader.

I've been reading about the 10mm for the last year or so. Think I'd like to have one as a Hunting Handgun.

This new G40 has the rear of the slide already milled for the newer mini reflex type sights. Seems like a great idea.

Accuracy is usually the limiting factory in my search for a hunting handgun. Thinking a nice Dot would help refine a huge set of defensive night sights.

But I am kinda turned off by the need to turn them On. From my quick research, the Trijicon RMR Dual Illumination is a sight that runs with no batteries. Seems like the perfect sight for the above application.

But the batteries on the Leupold and similar sights are reported to be good for 9,000 hours. Seems you could turn them on and leave them on for a day/days of backpacking and hunting with minimal worry.

Any help or real world experience?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

C
C
Jesse,

I have JPoints, Delta Points, one C-More STS and a Trijicom RMR 06. On a hunting gun, batteries are a total non-issue. On any of the newer models, change the batteries on a set interval. Depending on the specific sight, you can turn it off, set it down or use the supplied hood to lengthen run time. I do not fret batteries any longer. It's taken a few years of testing to get my mind at ease, but I am there.

As to the RMR Dual v. Constant dot (battery) the reviews I have read stated that there are times that the fiber optic is not quite bright enough, and it is not quite dark enough to see the tritium. Think, early morning, late afternoon/evening, changing timbered/blind hunting conditions (or dynamic indoor lighting when in defense mode). Hence my decision to go RMR 06.

Pop on over to Gabe Saurez's Warrior Talk Forum and in the optics section you can read a ton about RMR's.

Craig

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a Burris Fastfire III on my 10mm G20, and really liked it. Wasn't a long slide, but I did have a 6" Glock barrel on it. Did a good job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 300Sav, 59 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.