Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jordan,
I have been shooting critters with it all winter. No problems. As stated in other posts, my current reticle on 7x is almost exactly the same as the leupold fine duplex on 6x that it replaced. By the way how are those big bucks it Alberta?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're nice to look at on the wall, but not as tasty as the moose, elk, or BH sheep in the freezer grin

Haven't drawn a PH antelope tag in a while, but if treated right I prefer them to the big WT and MD bucks as well. Even have some black bear in the freezer that'll give moose meat a run for its money.

The booner bucks are cool, but they sit on the wall or in the garage collecting dust while the less noteworthy cow elk jerky puts a smile on my face every time I get some out of the freezer wink

Are you talking about the G2H on 7x, or some other FFP reticle? I've a variety of FFP scopes, and with a shred of sense in selecting the reticle all are perfectly fine for the low-light bush country that we have in the boreal forest here in AB, and are excellent for the wide open spaces that we have on the prairies and desert country, and in the mountains. So far I think the LRHS really is a great compromise as an all-around hunting scope, with an obvious bias toward LR applications.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a SWFA3x15. I have looked through Pats Bushnell with the new reticle, and I thought it looked like it would work quite well. He shot that big buck this fall with it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Atse, 7X is low power to you?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ringman,

7x is not low. I just don't mess with changing the power much. I rarely ever go off the 7x setting for anything. I shoot coyotes at 50yds there all the way out to 300yds. I am not a large magnification guy. Even on coyotes and steel out to 500 yds. I rarely go over 10x. Just my preference. The only reason I chose 7x is because the reticle is very close to my fine duplex reticle on 6x that I have shot for the last 12 years.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand you. You are defending a FFP scope because the crosshair is about the same on 7X as a fixed 6X. You could do that with a SFP scope.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ringman,

The reason I like the FFP scope as described is because I can hold for wind much more accurately with it. As you know, the hold doesn't change regardless of what power your scope is on. Was shooting my steel,(6"high, 12"long"rectangle) in a 14mph wind at 450yds. I could hold very precisely for wind and it was working well. Also for shots on this steel past 500yds I certainly turn the power up. Its just that in hunting situations at standard distance between close and 300yds I don't like messing with the power. Have never needed to. The other option on a SFP scope is to dial for wind as well. I did that with my leupold and it worked fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for helping me understand. You make sense.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I really had no problem with the SFP leupold I had.I liked it a lot, but I had to send it back 3 times over 12 years. After a while it wouldn't track and I had a POI problem from 6x to 18x. 2" difference.@200yds. (it was a vxII) 6x18. When I looked at new scopes that had brass internal parts that I thought would help fix this, they mostly were FFP scopes. Hence, the jump from SFP to FFP. Its taken some practice, but the holding for wind on the FFP scope really is an improvement. Beyond that, a deer in either scope at normal hunting ranges is dead either way.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
Ringman,

The reason I like the FFP scope as described is because I can hold for wind much more accurately with it. As you know, the hold doesn't change regardless of what power your scope is on. Was shooting my steel,(6"high, 12"long"rectangle) in a 14mph wind at 450yds. I could hold very precisely for wind and it was working well. Also for shots on this steel past 500yds I certainly turn the power up. Its just that in hunting situations at standard distance between close and 300yds I don't like messing with the power. Have never needed to. The other option on a SFP scope is to dial for wind as well. I did that with my leupold and it worked fine.

yeah but if your going to need to hold for wind and use the features of the reticle with the LRHS why would you ever be off max power 12x. 12x will not cause an issue with mirage, that is the only reason you would come off max power if your even worried about wind holds.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strange, I use my FFP scopes on all power settings.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The point is, that the wind hold will be the same regardless of what power you choose to shoot with.Interestingly enough, I was practicing with the verticle hold over on the mil. quad reticle, on an 8"circle steel the other day. At 400yds prone I hit it 3 of 4 times not dialing, just holding over the prescribed amount. In a hurry, you could use this effectively regardless of the power setting you were on.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,299
Posts18,525,931
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.