Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9600491 02/13/15
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Just now I got an email from Craig Boddington (?)... I have met him several times, but this email said he was stranded, and requested $1995 dollars to help him out.. I seriously doubt this is a real situation, but a scam.. I did not reply, nor check to see if I had his address, which I may.. I felt the best way to get to the bottom of this is get the info. to folks who know him or how to get intouch with him quickly.. Thanks..

Molon Labe
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
scam

had one last year about a somewhat distant friend

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You wouldn't leave a buddy stranded would you?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Musta been stranded in Nigeria ,along with the exiled princess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you really think they would try to extort ransom from you to liberate Rosie O? Those idiots aren't that stupid. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife's e-mail got hacked by the same kind of scammer a couple years ago. That e-mail said she was stranded in downtown London without a hotel reservation, her luggage stolen, etc. etc. and please send $3500. My sister got it and said that's not Eileen, she'd never end up in London without a reservation! But one of our friends was about to send the money when I sent out an e-mail telling everybody that the farthest Eileen had traveled in the past week was the 32 miles to the nearest Costco....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Even if it were true, they'd be e-mailing the wrong friend.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just now I got an email from Craig Boddington (?)... I have met him several times, but this email said he was stranded, and requested $1995 dollars to help him out.. I seriously doubt this is a real situation, but a scam.. I did not reply, nor check to see if I had his address, which I may.. I felt the best way to get to the bottom of this is get the info. to folks who know him or how to get intouch with him quickly.. Thanks..

Hit the reply button and you will see that most likely it isn't Craig's email address you are replying to. If it is, his email has been hacked and he will figure it out pretty quick.

Most of these scams have a bogus email address to reply to since "everything I have has been stolen/lost/misplaced", or other fill in the blank excuse.

I got one of these once from a friend's "wife" (her email, anyway). Thing about that one was, she is one who could have been off in a faraway land, but I knew there were plenty of others she would most likely have contacted first, like the US Consulate/Embassy.

I'm sure Craig is just fine.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you check out Craig's Facebook page he's already posted that it's a scam, and he's fixed the problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, do you mean to tell me that Eileen never got the $3000 I sent her ? grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, it went to a good cause....

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm Craig's best friend and need to help him out. All I need is $2,000.

Craig is a very classy guy and would never put or get himself into any such position. You can bet on that.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

This is Craig speaking, please forward all funds to my friend smokepole.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Gave Craig a call when I got back to my phone.. He caught it 2 hours after they made the post, but they wiped out is contact list.. He says they are getting sharper..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I meant to say he caught it immediately, but it had started 2 hours earlier..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend's parents are pretty old and apparently easily fooled. Someone called their house on the telephone pretending to be my friend's son - their grandson - saying he had been in an accident and had been arrested and needed bail. I didn't get the details of how they got the money transferred but the old folks sent several hundred dollars as instructed.

When they called my friend asking how the son was he figured it out and told them they had been scammed.

To add insult to injury, the scammers called again some weeks later with a variation on a theme - the grandson was stranded somewhere with a broken down vehicle and needed money. I think the old folks had figured it out by then.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are way too many scammers out there. You almost can't believe anyone anymore unless you know them.

I cuss and curse at them along with the telemarketers, but the SOBs keep calling back

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Ya, I seen Boddington posted on FB that he had been hacked.

I've taken to answering the phone of numbers I don't recognize with, "Federal Bureau of Investigation." Line usually goes dead after that. If they're dumb enough to engage in conversation, I usually lead them through conversations about terrorism, the Taliban, the CIA, Muslims, etc. if they're going to bother me, I feel an obligation to make it worth their while. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Now that's the best technique I've heard. My new approach to the many calls.

It'll be especially funny with the MIL.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got it too. Last week sometime.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,531
Posts18,530,926
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.