-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has this whole thread lost all of its narrow minded focus? S&B, who cares? Leupold, who cares? PA open hardwood, who cares? AK thick brush, who cares? DonKnows, who cares? Big Stick, who cares? Bearrr264 has ceased to care!
<br>
<br>I've begun to hate S&Bs on the sole basis that they may forever remind me of DonKnows!
<br>
<br>Danger 6, Out
<br>
<br>Bearrr366

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don Knows,
<br>I love pissing matches. You must too. I have read every post in this topic, and I must admit that I am a avid archer and I use 12X42 binocs all the time, too much?? Probably a little to much power, but I have had numerous times that I caught something moving looking through the binocs; therefore, I had time to get ready for the shot quicker.
<br>
<br>P.S. Any man worth his salt, don't laugh at his own jokes!!!
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>Trey

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"I've begun to hate S&Bs on the sole basis that they may forever remind me of DonKnows! "
<br>
<br>
<br>...you're not alone, you're not alone.

#96190 12/23/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I couldn't resist but your right. Its amazing the impact a twisted, biasly written book will have on some people. Rather then review the book and waste more time........I'll move on. It would be wonderful if people would just think a bit and be open minded. On the bright side, I am sure we all learnt something from the book even it was that money was better spent on something else. Boy, I sure feel better now.

#96191 12/24/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JJP,

What do you find wrong with JB's book? Please explain what makes you think "people" are close minded and would be well to "just think a bit". Where would my money be "better spent"?

I'm glad that omni-directional rambling has made you feel better, but it doesn't provide much insight for the rest of us.

Perhaps, if JB reads this, he could suggest a check list that we could use to select a scope that best meets our individual needs. Such as magnification, fix or variable, price range, reticle choice, etc. For example, the optimal scopes that JB uses to snipe deer in MT would likely be a suboptimal solutions for my MO creekbottom still hunting and vis a versa.

Sincerely,

Bearrr264

IC B2

#96192 12/24/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJP:

Nice first post. Please state your qualifications so that we can understand that you have the background, experience, and optical knowledge to be so critical of a widely acclaimed book about optics. Otherwise, I fear we shall think you are full of something other than knowledge.

I don't know Mr. Barsness, but appreciate his calm and thoughtful answers, WHILE EXPLAINING HIS METHODOLOGY to what are sometimes less than brilliant questions or questioners.

Perhaps you should follow his example.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

#96193 12/24/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi there Bearr264:

To be honest, I'd rather not get into it. Lets just say the book although informative has some personnel nuances that really detracted from the author�s credibility/disposition.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

#96194 12/24/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the informative post. I'd like to encourage you to think whatever you may.... its a free world. Thank goodness we can all have opinions.

#96195 12/24/02
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JJP
"Lets just say the book although informative has some personnel nuances that really detracted from the author�s credibility/disposition."

WHOM did you think was nuanced? How did they detract from the credibility of B?

Are you suggesting someone made him grumpy? Whom was it?

Frankly, I did not agree with everything I read in there, notably using the whole image in the glass and scanning it, rather than methodically moving the glass. I find, after a lot of years with a lot of time spent glassing that it works better for me the other way... but I did give it a try his way to see if there was a better way.

To flippantly suggest there were ethics violations that you won't mention is no way to build any credibility with me, and I doubt there are many here, that will buy your line either.

I'm guessing the "personnel" you were talking about were not people but rather, you were attempting to write "personal?"

Cannot imagine what you are alluding to with the "disposition" addendum... If you are willing to post such drivel you should at least be willing to say why. Unsupported aspersions do not make anyone look good, least of all yourself...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
#96196 12/24/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka wrote: "and I doubt there are many here, that will buy your line either."

Agreed!

IC B3

#96197 12/24/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll second that motion.

It's easy to rip someone's published works but quite another to publish your own works.

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
#96198 12/24/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Art - do me a favour and just ignore my posts. Talk about Drivel (idiocy)! Grow up and get off that box of yours. If you haven't noticed I never intended to "build" any credibility with you. Talk about wasting more time. There isn�t enough time in the day to elaborate on the poorly written book by JB or your ruffled feathers. Lets just leave it at that. If you want to debate and nitpick find someone else. The opinions remain unchanged and yes you do fall into the category of people whom���

#96199 12/24/02
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JJP
Henceforth, ignoring you will be the easiest of things to do.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
#96200 12/24/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bless your kind sole. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

#96201 12/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could this be the first of the refugees from Shooters? JJP, your handle seems to ring a bell- are you looking for a place to call home since Shooters is going down, or just looking to stir the mud on general principles?- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
#96202 12/24/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheister, Sitka, et al:

As Rick Bin has pointed out in another thread, we will likely have a surge of Shooter's refugees visiting here in the next little while. I am certain that most of them are great people and I believe that 24hr members have always welcomed new members with different viewpoints and insight supported by personal experiences or facts. But some want to spread the manure where ever they go, and I bet that they won't last long here.

One of Bearr264s oft used expressions comes to mind. That is, "Don't wrestle with a pig, the pig enjoys it and you wind up covered with mud" as well as "Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I am going to do my best to ignore the pigs, starting with this one.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

#96203 12/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed.- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
#96204 12/24/02
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't need bino's for eastern whitetail's... hmmm. I've hunted north-eastern deer cover. Bino's are VERY useful there. I HUNT with bino's no matter where I've hunted, Maine to Alaska. Those who've not acclimated to bino's have NO idea what they're missing. While many of us agonize over every last shred of ballistic minutia, if forced to choose, I'll always put my money in top-drawer bino's than in a given custom rifle. Heck, any old $400 Ruger M77 that can hold its shots inside 2" @ 100 yards is actually good enough for most hunting. Not so with binoculars. As someone who has TRAINED eyes (photography/fine art) I can assure our overly confident doctor that his assumption that my over 40 year old eyes can't tell the difference between $200 Bushnell's and $800 Leica's is pure BS... I can.

Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
#96205 12/25/02
JJP Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okay kids! Leave well enough alone and things will take care of themselves. Need I say more? Childish behaviour like this truly stretches anything posted so far. Like I said before, JB's a big boy and I certain he can defend himself if he sees fit. I think JB's butt has room for only one person at a time, so take it easy! I'll be sure to post more information next time for those that want to wave the JB flag/tattoo or whatever you have. Its Christmas for Santa's sake.

#96206 12/25/02
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JJP,

If you'd like to engage in the debate of ideas, you are very welcome here. Ideas are fair game. However, we have no interest in insults and personal slams toward anyone, no matter how subtle they may be. If you were to debate Mr Barsness ideas point by point and tell us why he is wrong, that would be great. If you can't figure out how to do it without using emotional barbs at every turn, then you will not have a pleasant experience here.

Many of us have been posting togther a long time and consider each other friends. Several of us started when Shooters first came on the scene in 96 or so, and moved here after some utter lunacy over there. We do not always agree, in fact, we often disagree.

However, we have pretty much moved past the personal insults stage. All of us have lowered ourselves to that level in the past, and most of us are embarrassed by it--that type of interaction is wrong, period. It is driven my insecurity and ego, but any boost to the ego is temporary while the ill will generated is long lasting. I know from personal experience on both ends, and so do most who post here.

Why would I take time to address someone who burst on the scene and immediatelybegan insulting my friends? Because there is a chance you have some information and experience none of the rest of us have, and we can probably gain a great deal of insight form you. I also don't think you really understand how your coming across. Having been there myself, I think it's only fair to point this out to you and give you a chance to think about and perhaps modify your approach to posting.

Whatever you decide is okay by me, but if you choose to be personally insulting in your posts, I too will just ignore you. So what do you choose? Do you want to be friend or foe?

Blaine

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.