Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang, that's a minty little gun except for that pad. Nice grab, hunt the heck of that.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Looks like a deer killing machine to me. Unlikely will be your last 99. grin GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful shape, nice one.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice setup for hunting. Are you gonna leave the Stith on it? Those old Weavers usually have some nice glass in them. the next series seems to suffer from lens separation pretty badly.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Unlikely will be your last 99. grin GW

No kidding!!! Looks like a nice old rifle. Now go forth and kill stuff.
cool cool cool

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
sweet! love the stith and weaver marriage.

dave

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can almost guarantee this won't be your last 99. That looks like a nice hunting rig. Congratulations.

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kill something with it and post a picture.

We love that chit!

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Are you gonna leave the Stith on it?

Not sure yet. I'll mount the scope, as is, and try it out. With the recoil pad mod on this rifle, it's kind of a shame to keep a really nice condition Stith and first series vintage K4 on this for hunting, when a real nice collector rifle could make a better home for it. ... but I'm not sure I want to D&T this to mount a different scope on it given its nice condition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
God I can't even believe I am going to say this but...

With the recoil pad on it you are not going to hurt it now by D&Tin it. That's prolly what I would do and put a nice piece of modern glass on it and hunt the heck out of it.

Then you can send me the Stith and scope for safe keeping until you find that nice colllector. wink

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Are you gonna leave the Stith on it?

Not sure yet. I'll mount the scope, as is, and try it out. With the recoil pad mod on this rifle, it's kind of a shame to keep a really nice condition Stith and first series vintage K4 on this for hunting, when a real nice collector rifle could make a better home for it. ... but I'm not sure I want to D&T this to mount a different scope on it given its nice condition.

Get in touch with Lightfoot. You can have a modern mount made to fit that rifle that DOES NOT require a D&T for the same or less than you'll pay for a D&T and mount for it.

You'll have your cake and eat it, too.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep:

Didn't even consider that. That is exactly what I would do.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't D&T it. It's getting harder and harder to find unmolested 99's, you just need to replace the recoil pad with something more vintage looking, and it'll be a CLASSIC.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't know what is more cool - the 99 or the scope/mount set up? Shoot the heck out of it.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd never d&t it. As 4ager said, put the money towards buying a no-drill mount from Lightfoot that lets you mount any modern scope.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
just need to replace the recoil pad with something more vintage looking, and it'll be a CLASSIC.

The Lightfoot mount sounds interesting; have not heard of this before.

Can the stock be restored to make this one "collectible" ... or is that no longer an option? I'm assuming the stock was cut down to install the recoil pad; anyone know what the original LOP was for a 1950 EG?

Last edited by KeithNyst; 02/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First of all the pad doesn't hurt a dam thing on a hunting gun. You have a stith set-up. That's a plus. You can go with a Lightfoot mount. That's another plus. Or you can put a tang/receiver sight on it. You have WAY too many options open to you to avoid drilling and tapping. It's your gun, do what you want BUT remember if you drill it, you can never go back.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 50's EG with a cut stock is hardly an unmolested gun and will never be a "Classic".

You have a very nice hunting rifle. It will provide you exceptional reliability, enjoyment and good service in the field

Ones definition of "collectable" is relative. If you can find somebody that collects 50's EGs with cut stocks and recoil pads, then your gun is very collectable. Replacing wood decreases the value of any 99. It's all about original condition.

Last edited by 99guy; 02/19/15.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.