Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I had breakfast this morning with a couple of friends at the local greasy spoon and the topic of the possible ban of M855/M109 type 5.56mm ammunition came up.

I was surprised that one of them said that he had 10,000 rounds inbound (to go with the 5K+ of 5.56 he has left over from the last bout of madness). And this is a person who shoots maybe 2000 rounds of all types (rifle, pistol and shotgun)in a good year.

When I questioned the amount and his limited use he responded that I was the pot calling the kettle black; he was referencing my reloading components.

I don't think that I'm unreasonable by keeping several hundred pieces of brass for each cartridge that I use; as for bullets I do the same thing. When it comes to powder and primers I have bought 8 or 5 pounders for years, same with primers, I buy them by the case. This has worked for me for a long time and I always have what I need regardless of what the current market is doing.

I understand that everyone accesses their own needs and acts accordingly.

I wonder when this generation of shooters pass on to the great hunting grounds; how many times will EOD be called to remove all of the leftover stocks of powder, primers and ammunition?

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It becomes hoarding when the "have nots" find out what the "haves" actually have.

A bunch of brass, a few kegs of powder, and a few cases of primers huh?

I suppose it's a start. At least your stuff is useful. Until somebody wants to buy some, and you offer it at the current value instead of what you paid for it while the knuckleheads we sleeping. Then you get promoted to "gouger".

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stop hoarding and give up some 162 Amaxs already bishes!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That's the beauty of Capitalism. We are all allowed to be hoarders........well, unless one has the misfortune to live in one of those States or municipalities which limits possession of arms or munitions.

Lots of my acquaintances call me a hoarder. But every gun and all of my ammo and all of my bullets and all of my spare lead ingots fit in one moderately sized safe.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will just say that at last check we had over 100K 223 brass....

A couple hundred brass for anything is light IMHO.

Not that I"m paranoid but I do like to try to stock up as I have cash. Its not like its going to go bad or go down in value either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Over ten concubines is where I draw the line.

Ammo & components can be bequeathed...

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, if EOD is called it just indicates the family is a bunch of dumb [bleep]...

and amazingly I've had the call from liberals here in town.... dad died, you are vol fire, come get this stuff and dispose of it. 10-4 be right there.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Back in the good old days before all these numb nut hoarders existed, I never kept much ammo on hand. When I ran out or got low, I'd just go to the store and buy another box or two. Never worried about not being able to get any cuz there was always plenty on the shelves. I sure miss those days.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would think that digitally driven just in time inventory all the way back up the chain to manufacturing is the issue.

Too many sources of supply and the fast innovation of new products to risk warehousing a bunch of stock

Defend the Constitution
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would like to be a hoarder. I have several hundred rounds for each of the calibers that I use. I know that's not very much if one considers how fast ammo can be expended in a firefight. But I just can't afford to buy much more. I know if the SHTF I will think 'why didn't I buy more when I had the opportunity?' I guess it's because I have other things that are more important to me right now. It's all a matter of priorities I guess.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
SC, it's his money, he's free to do with it as he pleases.

It's interesting to me how ready gun owners are ready to judge other regarding what they keep on hand.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tomk
Over ten concubines is where I draw the line.

Ammo & components can be bequeathed...

So can concubines. Remember us in your will. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have enough of everything I shoot (cept 22LR) to last my lifetime (no more no less) so I'll leave the hoarder, gouger, prudent shopper debate to the rest of ya's.

I have however thinned out my herd due in part to shortages and in part to changing needs due to getting older.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/22/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His house is just a storage place for the Government or Police until they need it and then they will come and take it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It becomes hoarding when you have more than I do.

Good luck on that. laugh

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
will do...but the years are much kinder to components...:)

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nothing succeeds like excess

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
YA even if it's the wrong caliber the'll take it some one in the organization can use it frown

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hoarding and gouging are terms created by people that don't have what they need.

Haters always gonna hate.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not gonna label anybody. If you have the cash and it makes you feel better to have the ammo. in your possession then good for you.

I have plenty of what I need and certainly don't consider it hoarding. The level of "stock" you keep and are comfortable with is obviously different with everyone.

The only thing I have no regard for is folks who create and further promote panic buying only to resell to capitalize off of fellow shooters.

It is capitalism at it's purist form I guess but I am traditional enough in my thinking to still believe that our passion for all things rifle should come along with reciprocal respect for other folks needs/wants in a limited market.

YMMV

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,798
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.