Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok so I was perusing a local pawnshop, a junky place where only the best stolen items are sold (or so it seems in our county there is where most it seems to end up), and they had a half-way converted Jap 7.7 Arisaka, and it appeared that whoever had it last had set the barrel back a full turn and then rechambered to 30-06, as it was the service barrel (with a gap in the stock from setting it back).

OK, so here is my question - I thought that 7.7 Jap was about .311 in diameter? If you do that, will the gun be in any way accurate with factory ammo?

Last edited by iambrb; 02/22/15.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It was common after WWII when a lot of 8mm's were brought back to the states to run a 30-06 reamer in and leave the barrel alone. I had one I paid $25 for and killed two elk with it. The 7.7 is .303 (7.7 x .03937) The 8 mm is .315. The 8mm would work, but the 7.7 is smaller. Maybe with cast bullets

I made a .270 out of an Arisaka. I bought a barrel from Numerich for $60, turned down and threaded it. Couldn't do much about that big knob on the back for a safety though. I D&T'ed it for scope mounts, bent the bolt handle. I killed a nice Big Horn Sheep ram with it on Pikes Peak about 350 yards. My niece ended up with it for her 1st deer rifle.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/22/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No it won't be accurate with factory 30-06 ammo , hell they ain't very accurate in the original chambering.

BTW if it is as you describe then it ain't a 30-06 , it's a 311-06 or 7.7-06

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd definitely do a chamber cast to be sure of the dimensions. It may shoot factory 30-06 fine, but then it may not.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The US Army rechambered a bunch of Arisakas for use in the ROK Army until they could get them all equipped with M1s and M1 Carbines immediately after WWII. They weren't used for long, but they did do it.

An uncle of mine had a rifle such as the OP described, but he claimed it shot "okay" by using .311" bullets in '06 cases.

They work, for the purpose, even GI Ball ammo worked well enough for the government's purposes.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 02/22/15.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
I'd definitely do a chamber cast to be sure of the dimensions. It may shoot factory 30-06 fine, but then it may not.

that is what I was driving towards, or trying to say - thanks all!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old fart hunting buddy, has killed at least a hundred or more deer with 7.7 Jap in the original form. He bent the bolt, scoped it, whittled a little on the stock. It is plenty accurate.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted preds with 7.7 ball ammo in the 1960s. The Ariska was sporterized and had a receiver sight and ramp front, it was more than accurate for fox to 200 yards.

You can change out the expander ball on your 30 06 die to a .310 and use .311 or .312 bullets.

8mm bullets come in two diameters .318 for the original 8mm Mauser rifle and later sporting rifles and the .323 bullet was adopted in the military rifles around 1900 and sporting rifles after WW-II.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That might be a good 338-06 re-bore.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some .303 British rifles will shoot some .308 bullets quite accurately, and quite a few 7.65 1909 Mausers were rechambered to .30-06 and shot at least OK. One of my old hunting buddies bought a rechambered (and "sporterized") 7.65 when he was in high school in the 1950's, and hunted his whole life with it, killing a pile of antelope, deer and elk. He handloaded whatever .30-caliber 180's were cheapest down at the local store.

In my experience a lot depends on the bore (not groove) dimension. If it's no more than .302" or so, it might work. Also, I've seen more than one .303 that would shoot Nosler Partitions pretty well, probably because the rear core "bumps up" with a typical .303 charge of medium-rate powder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are quite a few Arisakas out there that have been rechambered to 30-06. Also see Lee Enfields in 308,and Mauser
1909s converted from 7.65x53mm to 30-06. Reload with .311 diameter bullets and you should be fine. Timney makes an after market safety for Arisakas, one of the guys here sold me one for my Type 38 carbine, but I havent gotten around to getting it done.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I found one at an estate sale, complete with a bayonet in a wooden scabbard. The bore was fouled so bad you couldn't see what the rifling was like. This was probably one of the ROK guns as the Chrysanthemum was defaced, and the 30-06 marking was faint. Minimum bid was $225, now I sorta wish a had bit. The original bayonet is probably worth more than the rifle. After seeing that, I did a bit of research and learned about the ROK guns. The twist in a 7.7 is 1 in 9 1/2 so the 06 apparently did not like it along with the oversize bore.

PS the 99's that were made before the final push were hell for stout; one account I read of testing actions had the barrel give way before the receiver. War production was anything that came off the line at the end.

Last edited by kennyd; 02/22/15.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Like Muledeer said, some rifles with .311 bores do shoot .308 bullets just fine. I had a .303 SMLE that was very accurate with plain vanilla cup and core .30 caliber bullets. If you wound up with that rifle it would be worth a try.

Arisaka rifles made during the pre and early war years are high quality guns. Most have chrome plated bores. The sights and some of the gadgets such as the monopod and anti-aircraft wing sights can be a bit wacky but they are strong actions manufactured to a high standard.

Of course the "last ditch" rifles are a different story.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 02/22/15.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kennyd
I found one at an estate sale, complete with a bayonet in a wooden scabbard. The bore was fouled so bad you couldn't see what the rifling was like. This was probably one of the ROK guns as the Chrysanthemum was defaced, and the 30-06 marking was faint. Minimum bid was $225, now I sorta wish a had bit. The original bayonet is probably worth more than the rifle. After seeing that, I did a bit of research and learned about the ROK guns. The twist in a 7.7 is 1 in 9 1/2 so the 06 apparently did not like it along with the oversize bore.

PS the 99's that were made before the final push were hell for stout; one account I read of testing actions had the barrel give way before the receiver. War production was anything that came off the line at the end.

IIRC it was P. O. Ackley who wrote about testing a Mauser, a Springfield, an Enfield, and an Arisaka in blowup tests. The last one to let go was the Arisaka. I don't remember if it was a type 38 or a type 99.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 7.7 "Jap" that was brought back from Korea by a cousin. He passed away way too young from heart disease and the rifle was passed to me.

Chambered for 308, bolt handle bent and a pretty walnut sporter stock. Just the original peep sight. Don't know the details of the gunsmithing involved, but it's accurate as far as one wants to shoot with open sights.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
... IIRC it was P. O. Ackley who wrote about testing a Mauser, a Springfield, an Enfield, and an Arisaka in blowup tests. The last one to let go was the Arisaka. I don't remember if it was a type 38 or a type 99.

Ackley described testing three different 6.5x50 Arisaka actions.
--Bob

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BullShooter
... IIRC it was P. O. Ackley who wrote about testing a Mauser, a Springfield, an Enfield, and an Arisaka in blowup tests. The last one to let go was the Arisaka. I don't remember if it was a type 38 or a type 99.

Ackley described testing three different 6.5x50 Arisaka actions.
--Bob

Do you remember if he ever wrote about testing a type 99 action?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

J_S-
My rememberer has had functional difficulties lately, so I checked my library before writing this answer.

Ackley published his report in the 156-page 1959 edition of his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, and then again in Volume 2 of the expanded 1962 version of the Handbook.

Ackley "tested" three 6.5mm Arisaka M38 rifles., one 7.7mm Arisaka M99 rifle, and two 6.5mm rifles with "cast" receivers.
One of the latter was fitted with a bolt from an M99.

For all the tests, Ackley rebarreled the actions for his .270 Ackley Magnum cartridge, which in his photos is just a smidge smaller than the .270 Weatherby.

The two cast actions came apart with "normal" loads for his .270 Ackley Magnum cartridge. The 6.5mm M38 actions held together despite overloads that split the barrels. The receiver of the 7.7mm M99 ruptured with a heavy overload. Ackley rated the strength of the M99 action just below the M38, but better than any of the other military action he tested.

--Bob

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BullShooter

J_S-
My rememberer has had functional difficulties lately, so I checked my library before writing this answer.

Ackley published his report in the 156-page 1959 edition of his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, and then again in Volume 2 of the expanded 1962 version of the Handbook.

Ackley "tested" three 6.5mm Arisaka M38 rifles., one 7.7mm Arisaka M99 rifle, and two 6.5mm rifles with "cast" receivers.
One of the latter was fitted with a bolt from an M99.

For all the tests, Ackley rebarreled the actions for his .270 Ackley Magnum cartridge, which in his photos is just a smidge smaller than the .270 Weatherby.

The two cast actions came apart with "normal" loads for his .270 Ackley Magnum cartridge. The 6.5mm M38 actions held together despite overloads that split the barrels. The receiver of the 7.7mm M99 ruptured with a heavy overload. Ackley rated the strength of the M99 action just below the M38, but better than any of the other military action he tested.

--Bob

Thanks for the info. My rememberer doesn't work so well, either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Type 99 rechambered to 300 Savage. It shoots better with .311 bullets but will handle .308 bullets if need be. Accuracy of both will handle most hunting needs considering it wears a peep sight.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.