Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
The things I see some of my employees do with money on a day to day basis just makes me shake my head. There are twelve of them ranging in age from 26-57. Out of the twelve only one contributes the maximum amount to our 401k and only six of twelve take advantage of our 8% match. They are all paid 2 1/2 - 4 times the current minimum wage.

It's pretty much the same everywhere I've been. I work with folks who spend 1/6th of their daily wage on coffee and lunch every single work day. They get a raise, and go out and buy a new car on credit, and end up broker than they were before.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think the key to retiring is spending money on things that don't depreciate much.

Up until about 6 years ago I was being pretty much an idiot with my paycheck. Did at least pay in max to a small 401k account but very bad at saving anything, actually racked up a little credit card bill.

Wasted years worth of pay on rent, gambling, partying, eating, no kids, no worries...

Bought a few guns and they are the one thing that is still worth money.

Finally dawned on me that you gotta be smarter than that long-term.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I think a person has to strike a comfortable balance between retirement planning and living. According to the chart, I am above average but at the same time I look at what happened with my father. My dad started working at 18 and worked until he was 60. We grew up living quite conservatively, no new vehicles and a house that was paid for within 10 years after being purchased. We didn't spend money on many vacations but spent time at a cabin in northern Michigan. Within a year after my father retired, we found out he had terminal cancer and passed away 6 months later never able to draw social security. My mom is living a comfortable life but at the same time I wish my father had had a chance to experience some of the hunts that I have been on. The time that I brought a 10 point buck for him to see brought a shine to his eyes since he had not let himself do that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to that article, I'm above average and will stay above average to retirement. That is only 401K, and that should not be your only basket. If the market crashes and you lose half, what are you going to do? I also have two pensions that hopefully will be there when I retire, plus I plan to go into retirement with few bills.

I spend 10% or more of my income yearly on hunting and other hobbies. I'm not working now just to retire some day. What's the point if I'm not enjoying life along the way?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam,
One word.

Lotto.

We catch up in one day......
and we are smoking Marlboros and swingin' in a hammock.
Nice.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This reminds me when a VA loan rep came to our barracks
to get people to sign up for a VA home loan.
Myself and 2 other Marines signed up out of 150 in our unit !!!

My company matches 5% in the 401K and ALOT refuse to participate.

I am below average but like I told my wife, no plane, no boat no Harleys. My toys go bang and they don't cost a lot to feed.
Modest home, simple tastes/hobbies work for me.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Another thing to do is to figure out what your income will be in retirement and then live on that for the several years before you retire. If you don't, it'll be hard to cut back and you'll go through your savings faster than you plan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude, that's exactly what I've been doing.

Dumping all my extra money into Powerball and Megamillions!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
But Stevens pointed out, "A voluntary retirement system has allowed Americans to accumulate more than $24 trillion in retirement savings."

He added that the ICI strongly opposes mandates on employers, "including any in the administration's 'auto-IRA' proposal." He was referring to the budget proposal that would set aside nearly $6.5 million for state-based automatic enrollment IRAs or 401(k)-type programs.

Thats what the Brown Clown and his cohorts want end of story. They might do a Cypress on us one of these days.

I know a female manager who I work with , she is 49 years old and concerned about her retirement. She went to her advisor Edward Jones I believe and asked how much she needed for retirement. Guy comes back with 2.4 million, she went into shock. I bet she has close to 1 Mil or more already saved but it still shocked her.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/25/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
According to that article, I'm above average and will stay above average to retirement. That is only 401K, and that should not be your only basket. If the market crashes and you lose half, what are you going to do? I also have two pensions that hopefully will be there when I retire, plus I plan to go into retirement with few bills.

I spend 10% or more of my income yearly on hunting and other hobbies. I'm not working now just to retire some day. What's the point if I'm not enjoying life along the way?
I too believe you have to live a bit or more before retirement. My dad was a head of average when he passed at 58. Still had lots on his want to do list. Likewise, some of the stuff I want to do in life isn't all that possible or fun when I'm retirement age.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
But Stevens pointed out, "A voluntary retirement system has allowed Americans to accumulate more than $24 trillion in retirement savings."

He added that the ICI strongly opposes mandates on employers, "including any in the administration's 'auto-IRA' proposal." He was referring to the budget proposal that would set aside nearly $6.5 million for state-based automatic enrollment IRAs or 401(k)-type programs.

Thats what the Brown Clown and his cohorts want end of story. They might do a Cypress on us one of these days.

I know a female manager who I work with , she is 49 years old and concerned about her retirement. She went to her advisor Edward Jones I believe and asked how much she needed for retirement. [b]Guy comes back with 2.4 million, she went into shock.
I bet she has close to 1 Mil or more already saved but it still shocked her.[/b]

There are a number of retirement modeling tools available and I believe everyone should go run a few scenarios. Shock? Yup.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little above average here. I really don't think I will ever be able to afford to retire fully.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wife and I are both retired and have fixed pensions with very good benefits. We also waited on SS because we were both still working at age 62
Those 2 pensions and 2 SS give us a very comfortable income.
Having the house, cars, and camper all paid for helps to.
Our 401K is over twice what is shown and we have no need to tap into it, it's there for our kids.
All this happened through a investment plan we started when we were both in our 20's. Even with the crash it's worked out OK
I can't recommend strong enough how important an investment plan is when you're young, thinking you'll start it when your older only makes catching up more difficult.
There is a certain amount of luck that makes for a good investment portfolio at retirement, health, job security and a strong marriage are just some.

"The older I get, the better I was"
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
The coming retirement crisis will be extremely painful for most. The decline in the defined benefit pension - from companies more profitable than ever - is just one of many lost battles in the war on the middle class started by Reagan and continued by his progeny such as Scott Walker.

I'm fortunate; in my mid 40's, I have paid cash for my house, have a real pension, and live below my means with zero debt, other than some student loan. I want a Blaser and an Anschutz, I'll settle for my SHR 970 and CZ 452.

Always amazing that those who support the Right the strongest have been the most victimized by it.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
With 13 trillion$ presently (last I heard) tucked away in IRA's, 401k's, etc., the Gov't is looking hard at how to tap that resource as previously alluded to by Pelosi, Schumer and Reid. Hillary, as I recall, also had some sage comments, too.

In talking to 2 financial advisors and to my CPA we discussed how they Gov't would "access" these acct's for their present and ongoing use. A lot of bad schittt came from those discussions but the, so called, favored means might be something along the lines of having to buy Gov't debt (bonds) or be taxed exponentially on those funds redeemed as they are drawn down. Another scenario might would involve some "tuning" to the Roth IRA protections by, say, splitting the differences on taxes paid then to what taxes would be without Roth protections and invoking that difference on a sliding scale. Another would be to simply raise the RMD factor of life expectancy #'s.

That's, in the main, what shook out of those discussions and would be interested to see what some of your takes would be on it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
I have been investing/saving for about 30 of my 52 years. And am doing what i think is "on course" for my goal to have my target amount in my account when I retire.

But, another side of my investment portfolio has always been liquid assets such as guns, property, antiques. It's amazing what you can amass in 30 yrs of buying/selling/trading.

Upon my retirement time, I will be liquidating most of my possessions that many folks have scoffed at me for saving and collecting. I am confident it will account for about 20% of my retirement, pending markets at the time.

My .02, make that .01.. I need all the $$ I can get for retirement!

dave

Avoid paper dollars, when the crunch happens, likely worth ten cents on the dollar. Invest in income producing land or something similar. My mother always stated that she lost her money when the bank busted in the early thirties. I asked her how much and she stated everything $28.13. Broke her of trusting others with her money and made a cautious saver of her. Best I remember they survived that winter by feeding themselves and their livestock by planting a few acres of turnips. Gw

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wouldn't seem to work too well for city folk. jus sayin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eric308
The coming retirement crisis will be extremely painful for most. The decline in the defined benefit pension - from companies more profitable than ever - is just one of many lost battles in the war on the middle class started by Reagan and continued by his progeny such as Scott Walker.

I'm fortunate; in my mid 40's, I have paid cash for my house, have a real pension, and live below my means with zero debt, other than some student loan. I want a Blaser and an Anschutz, I'll settle for my SHR 970 and CZ 452.

Always amazing that those who support the Right the strongest have been the most victimized by it.

I have a "real" pension (for now) and a 401 that is NOT matched (since I get the pension).

While I love the idea of a defined benefit pension plan, and the selfish part of me wants it to stay, I realize that it is not sustainable financially unless the employer requires me to work several more years than currently required before drawing said pension.

It isn't a war against the middle class to realize that paying a firefighter 150k a year for the rest of their life after they work 25 years is not sustainable forever, even in the public sector where they print their own money to pay that pension.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
goalie, since 1998, and upon severance from a company, you can roll your accrued pension into your 401k. If that matters.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's not been performing as well as I'd like recently, but based on the OP's link I'm well ahead. I don't max out my 401 but but between my contributions and my employer's I'm putting away ~20% of my salary every year.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 35, 10 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.