Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you have time to spend a few days travel the Blue Ridgefrom Blowing Rock to Cherokee western NC is a beautiful place.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blynyrd
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I agree about the roof tour. Can you imagine what that placed must have looked like when first finished with its sandstone white walls, royal blue slate rood, and gold plated trim?

Not just that, but can you also imagine standing on the deck and knowing that when you looked in any direction you owned all the land you saw. IIRC over 125k acres early on. Eventually most of it got sold off, what remains is a small fraction of the original estate.

The architecture tour takes you to the roof and it is great. The guide pointed out an antenna a far mountain and told us that not only did he own everything you can see but that antenna was where his hunting lodge was. I can't imagine.

Much of what they had was sold to the federal gov't for the Blue Ridge Park but it was a "sell us this for pennies or we'll tax you to death" situation.

We went the Saturday after Thanksgiving when the decorations are up and it's stunning but be advised that is the busiest day of the year. Get over there early and sign up for any additional tours early as they fill up.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nope nothing to see at Biltmore. Asheville, nope nothing to see here either. Move along please.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RWE
UNC asheville frequently has topless protests during the summer.

Could you post the dates and are there any finger painting activities?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Biltmore is especially incredible during the Christmas season. The whole estate is top notch.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've stayed in some nice joints, but, the inn at Biltmore is top of the list. Ties with the Ritz at Amalia island.
If you go, stay at the inn.
Have a ball. My favorite time is spring when the whole place is in bloom.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by blynyrd
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I agree about the roof tour. Can you imagine what that placed must have looked like when first finished with its sandstone white walls, royal blue slate rood, and gold plated trim?

Not just that, but can you also imagine standing on the deck and knowing that when you looked in any direction you owned all the land you saw. IIRC over 125k acres early on. Eventually most of it got sold off, what remains is a small fraction of the original estate.

In 1914, Edith Vanderbilt sold approximately 86,700 acres of the estate’s forested mountain land, known as Pisgah Forest, to the federal government, creating the Pisgah National Forest.

[Linked Image]

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
I've stayed in some nice joints, but, the inn at Biltmore is top of the list. Ties with the Ritz at Amalia island.
If you go, stay at the inn.
Have a ball. My favorite time is spring when the whole place is in bloom.

Must pitch staying at the Grove Park Inn. Beautiful view, and you expect to see Hope and Crosby walk across the lobby at any time.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For you wine people, Biltmore Cabernet won a double gold medal in the San Francisco Chronical annual wine competition this year and it's under $30 bucks. Grapes are all Napa sourced.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

The wine is not great, regardless of what RWE thinks. wink But it's fun to take the wine tour.

I said "nice" not "great"

Nice means "I just spent 5 hours humping half this building and it sure would be nice to have a drink of something that isn't tap water." wink

When compared to all the tobacco fund subsidized winerys starting in the state, that I find myself asked to try, its nicer than most, by a long shot... wink

I like my wine like my humor.

Hard & dry.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by tjm10025

The wine is not great, regardless of what RWE thinks. wink But it's fun to take the wine tour.

I said "nice" not "great"

Nice means "I just spent 5 hours humping half this building and it sure would be nice to have a drink of something that isn't tap water." wink

When compared to all the tobacco fund subsidized winerys starting in the state, that I find myself asked to try, its nicer than most, by a long shot... wink

I like my wine like my humor.

Hard & dry.

Better then most of the wine produced in NC that is for sure. Great place to visit, unbelievable architecture and workmanship. Man that built the estate was a true visionary which sadly are in short supply these days.

Going to take my wife there in a few weeks she has never been.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Went there this last Sept.. When I saw $60+ for tix I got back on the bike and rode off...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Went there this last Sept.. When I saw $60+ for tix I got back on the bike and rode off...

You do know that is the worse way to purchase tickets...to just about anything right? Purchasing in advance or as a package (lodging and tickets) will save you money.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck

We purchased our tickets way ahead of time , had they been 60 per head the visit might have been cancelled. grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,874
Posts18,518,082
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.