mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You boys be careful out there...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mudhen; 02/24/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That storm is supposed to give us 1 to 4 inches of snow early Wed. morning. DFW area.
Then go East to Miles P house. cool

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj
That storm is supposed to give us 1 to 4 inches of snow early Wed. morning. DFW area.
Then go East to Miles P house. cool

Tracking directly over my place on its way to Miles' place. frown

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep! Starting soon...the Uniform of the Day in Phoenix will be 'jockey strap plus shower shoes' and welding goggles!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ttt

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep it up north.

The wind has been howling down here in Douglas the last few days, made for some bumpy rides.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny thing ,I live south of Tucson,Az about 30 miles or so. I'm sitting here as I write this dressed in a sweat pants and sweat shirt and none too warm. It rained today and really was cold rain. Pretty sure it will warm up soon but the ice hasn't broken in the Santa Cruz river yet. Sadly they don't seem to run the ice breaking contests any more.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got .1" of rain, I am still pumping my basement

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What 'STORM'. We had a little norther with a little sleet.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they flew these kids to the pavement today, I saw on the 6 o'clock news

Originally Posted by AzDailySun
The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office and Arizona Department of Public Safety rescued 20 Northern Arizona University students and staff members from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon Tuesday.

An NAU representative notified the Sheriff’s Office around 1 p.m. Monday that a group of 16 NAU students, two graduate student assistants and two university staff members had been camping for several days near Sowats Point, located outside of the Grand National Park. According to an NAU official, the students were participating in the Parks and Recreation Management Outdoor Education and Leadership program. The class field trip began Feb. 18 and was scheduled to conclude on Monday.

When the group tried to leave the area Monday afternoon, one of their vans became stuck on a snow-covered dirt road.

The group was able to free the vehicle from the snow but realized the roads were impassable due to a storm that had brought 18 to 24 inches of snowfall to the area from Fredonia to the North Rim.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, all members of the group are in good health. They had enough provisions and camping equipment to make it through the night, so they drove as far east as possible and sheltered in place inside the vans Monday night.

The vans were approximately 30 miles south of Fredonia and 20 miles west of SR 67. The Sheriff’s Office had intermittent contact with the group via cell phones and satellite texting since they were discovered to be stranded.

A DPS helicopter crew from Flagstaff flew to the area Tuesday morning and determined an air rescue would be possible despite low cloud cover, heavy fog and light snow. The students and faculty members were flown three at a time until all members of the party could be safely relocated. All 20 students and staff were safely airlifted to the parking lot at Jacobs Lake, where they were met by NAU transport vehicles to be taken back to Flagstaff.

During the rescue, the Sheriff’s Office has also been in close contact with officials from NAU, Kaibab National Forest and the Grand Canyon National Park Service.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
actually i have a pretty good idead of where that happened, I have hunted there a number of times.
I wonder if the sheriff's office would rescue me if i got stuck while being in there knowing a storm was coming in?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A buddy of mine, very experienced, was hiking Baldy a few years ago with his girlfriend. A freak snow storm came in (May I think) and they had to get rescued in a chopper along with a dozen other folks.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
actually i have a pretty good idead of where that happened, I have hunted there a number of times.
I wonder if the sheriff's office would rescue me if i got stuck while being in there knowing a storm was coming in?

12 A west, on the North Kaibab. I bet Jack O'Connor hunted there too.

I think those kids had been down in the Canyon for a week Ron, they may not have even known the storm was coming.

Luckily they had a SAT phone, I don't think there is cell coverage out that way.

When they hiked out to the rim, they found their 2 wheel drive vans were not helpful in 2 feet of snow.

Sycamore

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I lived in Phoenix in the '70s. My wife worked in the Arizona Bank building and I remember watching these things coming up from Tucson.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Northern Arizona, January 2010.

[Linked Image]

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that was a good one, I think we got 54 inches in 48 hours, it was hard to keep up with that.

Sycamore

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What?? I thought I was just responding to the title of this thread, literally. Didn't realize the sarcasm in it. wink

SYC........thanks for the support, buddy. But now you'll be considered a liar same as me. After all.........Arizona is THE DESERT.........right?

[Linked Image]

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
anybody familar with arizona, in the mountains, at this time of year, has to or should expect a flash storm that can stop you up.
That area on the north kaibab can turn on you overnight. I full remember many times snow like that in north central arizona. Try a national guard duse and a half getting stuck at the courthouse square in prescott. Five feet of snow on it. Fifteen feet at crown king, 60miles north of phoenix.
Few years ago i was an an elk camp near williams, heard of a storm coming and i got out. The others stayed. 3000 bucks for a road grader to cut trail, and a week later, they finally got out.
As to flagstaff, i remember at college putting a case of beer on the porch to cool down, coming back about 30minutes later, and it was frozen.
Point of it is that area north of the rim is pretty desolate. They were lucky.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.