Campfire Tracker
J
Real world wind drift.......

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do y'all have better luck with the Bergers kissing the lands or letting them jump alittle. I've had trouble getting them to shoot in the past.
I've read the scenars are alittle easier to get to shoot, any thoughts?

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by joshf303

[Linked Image]

Nice horn shot...what's the story behind that?

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
140gr 6,5mm amax is the One True Bullet and I am it's prophet

Thought you said BC was everything?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cinch

That would be the Fires self proclaimed LR Guru rcamuglia's dink ram that he posted he hammered at 500 yds in one post and then crushed his shoulder at 350 yds in another post... You can see it in his pics if you look close... Never a mention of the Horn shot... But then that wouldn't make him a cool guy would it...

Looks like perhaps he should be taking notes vs giving advice about Long Range Hunting...

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
.264 Winchester Magnum, 139 Scenar, 500 yards
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second went down after a Scenar crushed his shoulder at 350

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like this thread will end up being as long as the 900 yard head shot thread now wink

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 02/27/15.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

beats the 120/130s on BC unless you believe Noslers numbers (lol) and damn, that amax terminal performance just can't be beat

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
Do y'all have better luck with the Bergers kissing the lands or letting them jump alittle. I've had trouble getting them to shoot in the past.
I've read the scenars are alittle easier to get to shoot, any thoughts?
I load to touch lands and accuracy has been excellent. They also have enough neck tension to not pull out when extracted.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
While definitely no expert here.... I've had them shoot great anywhere from .005" jammed to .030" off. Find where it wants the powder charge at a kiss and adjust accordingly..

The Scenars have been a breeze to tune and are noticeably more consistent IME.

I wouldn't discount anything Pat says..... Hint

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
NM,

Ive followed Bergers instructions and its worked in 5 or 6 rifles. Pick a powder charge and load the bullets -.10, .-50, .-90, -.130 off the lands. My rifles have varied from one liking 5 or so thousandth in the lands to my .260 liking it the best -.130 off. I tried in the lands with my 300wm before I knew about trying the -.10 etc. above. I also have a rifle that is jumping a loooong way and it shoots well also.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
For you 260 guys that have played with them a lot.
I'm having a 260 built on a 1/8 twist that's will be used to hunt sub 200lb deer and shoot steel. Ranges will be 600 yards and in most of the time with some playing with steel to 1000.
I have read a lot about different options but was wanting some real world experience. I have considered the 123 scenar, 139 scenar or the 130 or 140 Berger.
I guess my main question is will the veoilicity of the lighter bullets make up for the bc of the heavier bullets? Any experience in target or on game performance will be appreciated.
Thanks

I've run both on steel out to 825 yards and have used the 130gr Hunting VLD quite a bit on critters. To answer your question, as far as windage goes, it's a wash. As far as trajectory goes, the 130gr VLD wins. I had an easier time getting the best accuracy with the 130gr VLDs than with the Amaxes. I've not used the Amaxes on critters, but the 130gr VLD launched at 2900ish absolutely hammers stuff.

Given the cost difference, I wish I could get the Amaxes to shoot better than the VLDs for me, but that just hasn't been the case.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

beats the 120/130s on BC unless you believe Noslers numbers (lol) and damn, that amax terminal performance just can't be beat

Only beats the 130 VLD by a slim margin. Gives in to the BC of the 130gr JLK.

How many .260 barrels have you wore out?

You forgot he 130gr JLK.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gains in BC are not exponential.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Watched a herd of 20 sheep starting at about 1500 yards for about an hour work their way up a draw to a saddle towards me. 3 good rams in the bunch. The wind was whipping pretty good and not in one direction. I picked out the biggest one and decided to let him get to the saddle at 500 yards before I would take him because of the wind situation.

He was quartering to my left showing his left shoulder. He put his head down to graze which put his neck level with the shoulder and the horn covered the left side of his neck.

The wind call was a tough one. I was shooting the .264 WM and the 139 at warp speed so I decided to hold straight up. The bullet had about 10" of drift to the left and went through the horn and into the neck. He trotted about 100 yards pretty sickly and stopped. I shot him again in the shoulder to finish.

[Linked Image]

Had an awesome hunt...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[Linked Image]

Watched a herd of 20 sheep starting at about 1500 yards for about an hour work their way up a draw to a saddle towards me. 3 good rams in the bunch. The wind was whipping pretty good and not in one direction. I picked out the biggest one and decided to let him get to the saddle at 500 yards before I would take him because of the wind situation.

He was quartering to my left showing his left shoulder. He put his head down to graze which put his neck level with the shoulder and the horn covered the left side of his neck.

The wind call was a tough one. I was shooting the .264 WM and the 139 at warp speed so I decided to hold straight up. The bullet had about 10" of drift to the left and went through the horn and into the neck. He trotted about 100 yards pretty sickly and stopped. I shot him again in the shoulder to finish.

[Linked Image]

Had an awesome hunt...
That can not be because everyone knows a match bullet will not penetrate when hitting a rib let alone an aoudad horn!!!!!! laugh Nice ram ....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

grin

I'll be shooting Scenars at everything I hunt. That was my first experience with them on anything bigger than prairie dogs. I'm impressed.

"Real world" wind drift happens if you shoot enough. In the conditions that day, it was wise to let him get closer before the shot was taken. Worked out well

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You didn't by chance fling any 123's, did you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

That would be the Fires self proclaimed LR Guru rcamuglia's dink ram that he posted he hammered at 500 yds in one post and then crushed his shoulder at 350 yds in another post... You can see it in his pics if you look close... Never a mention of the Horn shot... But then that wouldn't make him a cool guy would it...

Looks like perhaps he should be taking notes vs giving advice about Long Range Hunting...

.264 Winchester Magnum, 139 Scenar, 500 yards
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second went down after a Scenar crushed his shoulder at 350

[Linked Image]

Tony,

If you had spent as much time actually watching the videos you post as you have sleuthing Rick's ram that thread might have gonna little better for you. laugh

I guess we all got our different priorities and that chip on your shoulder ain't gonna stay there all on it's own. "dink ram" was a classy move. crazy crazy

Hint??

Rick,

Congrats on the Ram. Looks like a good time was had by all.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Tony,

If you had spent as much time actually watching the videos you post as you have sleuthing Rick's ram that thread might have gonna little better for you. laugh

I guess we all got our different priorities and that chip on your shoulder ain't gonna stay there all on it's own. "dink ram" was a classy move. crazy crazy

Hint??

Rick,

Congrats on the Ram. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Oh how cute... J-Wow showing up to aid Snookie... I spent very little time sleuthing Snookie's Ram as he did quite well on his own... A self proclaimed LR Guru/LR hunter showing up to a self guided hunt, in an area well known for large rams, and ground checking two dink rams and then digging out the checkbook to out dink his dink with another dink is entertaining... Horn shooting it due to a neglected wind call from the persona snookie tries to put out to the masses was just a bonus...

If you spent as much time trying to run a successful business verses trying to appear to be a "Big Boy", BTDT guy, spray tanning gunfighter and neglecting your sobriety, perhaps you wouldn't have been a failure over and over again...

The video thread went quite well... You showed your true jackass colors by side stepping each and every direct question presented to you as only the true jackass you are could do... For the numerous times you've failed in life you sure try to carry yourself as something special... Your Jackassery knows no bounds...

As for this Proverbial "Chip" I have on my shoulder,if it poses a problem for you or your significant other, Snookie, feel free to do something about it... You Big Boy Badass Gunfighter you...

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 29 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.