Campfire Outfitter
Cash,

There are much better rifles than the old 721's for hunting in terms of:

1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. Control round feeding
3. Looks
4. Value

Sell that old gun to someone who still thinks they are ok.

Look at other brands and new guns.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a new 9.3 that CZ offers.

[Linked Image]

CZ 9.3x62 American

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Geez, EXPERT, maybe the gentleman LIKES the 721, ever THNK about that?

While, I am a Mod. 70-Dakota-Mauser-old Brno man and actually HAVE and DO HUNT, even have shot Elk, worked alone for months sans breaks in remote Grizzly country, I would NEVER make the sort of AZZHOLE comments here that you constantly burden us with.

You are a maroon and should STFU and let us enjoy each other's REAL opinions!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Cash,

1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. Control round feeding
3. Looks
4. Value

1. Reliability? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

2. Safety? 721 actions are about as good as they come IMHO... short of really "extreme" stuff.
If 721s can run a .300 H&H Magnum... the 9.3 should not be a problem.

3. Control round feeding? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

3. Looks? I have plenty of guns that would hurt your eyes worse than this one... and with a new stock I just don't concur (and if I can get an Embera native (while I am in Panama fishing in a few weeks) to make me a "custom ox yoke" or "custom tiller handle" from coco bolo (legal import item "wink wink") she might become the only coco bolo wearing 721 on the planet.

4. Value? In lots of ways she was a free gun.
Browning A-5 traded for a Remmy 700 BDL in 7mm RM was about even IMHO... he threw in the 721 to lock down the deal.

"There are much better rifles than the old 721's for hunting..."

I concur maybe (I haven't hunted with this one yet). I already have many such rifles.

...BUT since we seem to be eat up with pink elephant sitings here as of late in Woodbridge, VA... a man can never be too careful when it comes to protecting his family... thus the NEED for a semi-big bore.

Ever heard a rumor last week about loose Cape Buffalo near the shopping mall... at least that is what I told my wife.

.400 Whelen is out, just too wildcat for this dumb country boy.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/01/15.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always hilarious when a Connecticut deer hunter pontificates to everybody else how badly they 'need' CRF. I could spend the rest of my life hunting with a 721 without a problem.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look up Gunner500.

He had a thread not long ago about a big Whelen.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9109235/3

He put some pics and load info up around page 3.

400 Woodleighs at 2255 sound fun!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a reason many people have ol' 99 on ignore I wouldn't waste time arguing with him.

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Cash,

1. Reliability
2. Safety
3. Control round feeding
3. Looks
4. Value

1. Reliability? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

2. Safety? 721 actions are about as good as they come IMHO... short of really "extreme" stuff.
If 721s can run a .300 H&H Magnum... the 9.3 should not be a problem.

3. Control round feeding? She feeds .30-06 PERFECT... assume 9.3 would be identical. I can't see why not.

3. Looks? I have plenty of guns that would hurt your eyes worse than this one... and with a new stock I just don't concur (and if I can get an Embera native (while I am in Panama fishing in a few weeks) to make me a "custom ox yoke" or "custom tiller handle" from coco bolo (legal import item "wink wink") she might become the only coco bolo wearing 721 on the planet.

4. Value? In lots of ways she was a free gun.
Browning A-5 traded for a Remmy 700 BDL in 7mm RM was about even IMHO... he threw in the 721 to lock down the deal.

"There are much better rifles than the old 721's for hunting..."

I concur maybe (I haven't hunted with this one yet). I already have many such rifles.

...BUT since we seem to be eat up with pink elephant sitings here as of late in Woodbridge, VA... a man can never be too careful when it comes to protecting his family... thus the NEED for a semi-big bore.

Ever heard a rumor last week about loose Cape Buffalo near the shopping mall... at least that is what I told my wife.

Gerry.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
There is a reason many people have ol' 99 on ignore I wouldn't waste time arguing with him.

Since I switched to decaf gotta have some fun somewhere... besides I'm a newbie here and need to pad my post count some!!!

Be well, Leonard

BTW... nice goat in your avatar.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Showing the lack of CRF and a broken extractor on a 700.

[Linked Image]

Broken off bolt handle on a 700!

[Linked Image]

Also I read they have all been recalled for some reason!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My Gawd, do you EVER cease from being a total azzhole? It just never fuggin stops with you and your ignorant bullschidt, eh?

I managed a gunshop, have seen mechanical issues with EVERY action, including those you show with 700s, BUT, I have NEVER seen a 721 handle come off the bolt body and I seriously doubt that YOU have, either!

You post photos of many VERY choice guns which you own, WHY must you continually harass others who simply enjoy some others which you do not?

Are you actually this much of a total dipschidt or do you have to practice a lot?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cash........that 721 of yours would make a great donor for a 9.3x62. Warren Page had a 721 chambered in .375 Weatherby that he rebarreled 2 or 3 times. Used that bad boy on buffalo and elephant with nary a problem that I recall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Since I switched to decaf gotta have some fun somewhere... besides I'm a newbie here and need to pad my post count some!!!

Be well, Leonard

BTW... nice goat in your avatar.

Lol, have some fun then.......

Thanks, I was very happy with the goat.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

Cash,

For what it's worth, the 400 Whelen is a pretty simple wildcat to feed. Reasonably priced dies are available from CH4D and cases are easy to make. I love mine. That being said I'd want a bit heavier barrel than the standard 30-06 barrel on a 721 for a 400 Whelen. Recoil might be a bit noticeable if one rebored the standard barrel to 400 Whelen.

Don't pay any attention to the trolling 721 detractor. You've got a good rifle and it is well suited to reboring to 9.3x62. If you go with JES, you'll only be into the rebore around $250 with shipping. That makes a pretty reasonable way to get into the rifle. Anything available on the market in 9.3x62 is going to set you back way more than a rebore from JES.

I've had several 721 over the years before I started changing over to left handed. Never been disappointed with a 721.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dave93
Cash........that 721 of yours would make a great donor for a 9.3x62. Warren Page had a 721 chambered in .375 Weatherby that he rebarreled 2 or 3 times. Used that bad boy on buffalo and elephant with nary a problem that I recall.

I would love something in that category, but I am guessing the donor was a .300 H&H (i.e. LOA and all). I keep looking, but the "math", FPS, and energy keeps sending me back to 9.3x62.

The .400 Wehlen was in the running for a short bit, but just a bit too wildcat for me... and that this will be an heirloom gun for one of my sons... I just hate thinking long term about one of them NOT GETTING THE HEADSPACE MEMO.

Edit:

Mart, I DO appreciate the re-emphasis on the .400 Whelen and will put on my thinking cap again... the big pro to the 9.3 though is that brass and ammo are just 4 mouse clicks away... and quite reasonable.

And if I bob the barrel to 18"+/- pretty much anything bigger could begin to have excessive recoil for the boys (in such a light rifle) until they realize the receiving end is always far worse than the sending end. I am not recoil sensitive myself... at least thus far, that I have noticed.

Re: Remington detractor??? Say it isn't so! Had a guy bad mouth my Cummins 12 valve once too.

Edit #2... I have a .45-70 (Ruger #1), four 458 Socoms (I built two rifles and two pistols) and a .50 Beowulf as well... so the .400 Whelen "math" is kinda already in my collection.

Mart... you think the .400W would feed as well as the 9.3x62?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
There is no "headspace memo" with the 400 Whelen. It headspaces fine on the shoulder it has and in 1000+ rounds of load development I never once had a failure to fire or had any of the mythical headspace issues falsely associated with this round. A google search for 400 Whelen will find articles of the late Michael Petrov which soundly dispel any headspace myth common to the 400 Whelen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How exactly do you rebore a 63mm round like the .30-06 to a 62mm round like the 9.3X62?Won't that cause headspace issues? I thought you had to rebore to a cartridge the same length or longer?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
How exactly do you rebore a 63mm round like the .30-06 to a 62mm round like the 9.3X62?Won't that cause headspace issues? I thought you had to rebore to a cartridge the same length or longer?

Pic here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.3%C3%9762mm

has me confused as to your question. Not trying to be rude, just understand where you see the shortfall.

Edit: Thanks Mart... that is how I saw it also (but not as well explained... thanks). The 0.055" short should hurt nothing on the feed IMHO. And we may start turning some of our own solids (various calibers) so that might also be a blessing if we try for 300+ gr.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If you compare the case dimensions of both you'll find the 9.3x62 is .055 shorter in overall length. The critical dimensions; base to shoulder, shoulder diameter and diameter at the web, are all greater in the 9.3x62 than they are in the 30-06. Hence the 9.3x62 reamer will clean up the chamber and the rebore itself will clean up the throat so that it can be correctly throated for the shorter neck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Mart.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.