A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by GeoW
Thanks for the vote of confidence...... but her Atheist mother is a huge force in her life.

She is a good woman and - to her credit - she doesn't oppose the kids going to church.

Very confused here.. A good woman in your eyes but in the eyes of the Almighty?

I see her as a good woman who is entitled to her beliefs.

You'd have to ask The Almighty how He sees her............ but I bet He won't tell you.

I'll accept Curdog's opinion on this matter. At least I have evidence that he exists, and besides, it his wife. If she makes him happy who are we to judge?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
God loves her as much as He does you …

John 15:13-14 —
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
[emphasis added]

That's a pretty big and limiting "IF" in my estimation! laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by RickyD
God loves her as much as He does you …

John 15:13-14 —
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
[emphasis added]

That's a pretty big and limiting "IF" in my estimation! laugh

Yes, and just 3 verses later he tells us what he commands us, that we love one another.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Hope it was the King James Version.

I hope it was the New English version, so folks could understand what it actually means... Thee and thou... you'd think we were still walking/riding horses....

Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer the KJ version. Just what I grew up with, though I own several other versions.
But for a young kid say 10 or 11, I agree the New English version might be easier for them to understand.
Maybe the atheist Mom will be inspired by her kiddo reading the Bible, and start to read it too. Stranger things have happened, and The Lord moves in mysterious ways!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/26/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
[
God is love, that is a given. He only ask for trust and obedience, that is a given. Most anything else... just an observation??

This^^^

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just for the record....Neither Curdog, nor his son, have a wife at the present time. The Lady mentioned is my son's ex-wife and, I'll repeat myself, she is a GOOD woman.

Being an Atheist doesn't preclude being a good person when judging by the world's standard. And THAT is the only standard available to me.

"For who can know the heart of a man......... " ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Pretty much agree there on the ex wife issue.

After all we are told to mind our own and not judge.

A person can be good, regardless of relationship with or without a spiritual being of choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just for the record....Neither Curdog, nor his son, have a wife at the present time. The Lady mentioned is my son's ex-wife and, I'll repeat myself, she is a GOOD woman.

Being an Atheist doesn't preclude being a good person when judging by the world's standard. And THAT is the only standard available to me.

"For who can know the heart of a man......... " ?

I've always hated to hear of Christians taking the high moral ground, looking down at everyone else. This attitude implies superiority, which just reveals reliance on self rather than Christ.

Atheists in particular should be able to feel the love of Christ through any Christians. We often emphasize the judgement of God and forget that it's the love of God that draws men to repentance.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Hope it was the King James Version.

I hope it was the New English version, so folks could understand what it actually means... Thee and thou... you'd think we were still walking/riding horses....

Call me old fashioned, but I actually prefer the KJ version. Just what I grew up with, though I own several other versions.
But for a young kid say 10 or 11, I agree the New English version might be easier for them to understand.
Maybe the atheist Mom will be inspired by her kiddo reading the Bible, and start to read it too. Stranger things have happened, and The Lord moves in mysterious ways!

Not so much old fashioned as much as what you learned with.

I grew up in a LCMS school... I had this cool bible, had 4 texts IIRC< IE versions of wording in the same book. It was really cool to read KJV and then compare to other wording and actually helped make sense of the wording to me as a kid in the 70s.
But the pastor there hated that bible and was even of the opinion, if not LCMS, you were going to hell. Much like the church did not want you to attend if you didn't have suit and tie on. It made for some intersting conversations at school needless to say since we had all faiths involved at school.

IMHO if you believe, then God guides the folks that print these bibles. And we dont' use kings english etc... anymore. Plus the bible was not written in Kings English to start with anyway... so its all been translated over the years.

But folks can get really anal, when IMHO, the thing to do is step back and look at the intent of the Bibles words. Not so much the specifics. Was written as a guideline IMHO and there is a difference between that and a procedure.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Guys, A little both off topic and back on.....I think it is amazing that some Churches still give out Bibles to youngsters. What I think it even better is an organization called Priority One. It's not all over the country but it is fairly large in certain areas. I used to live in Shreveport LA and the chapter their is run by a great man. What they do is both introduce and remind high school aged men about Christ. They have great results. Peer pressure at that age is overwhelming. I would bet that 1 or 2 friends sharing Christ with a teenager is more influential than any parent, atheist or not....

I know some will balk at the "men" portion of my post but look them up. They explain why they "target" high school men. And they don't exclude sharing Christ with women.

Look them up in your area. Not sure if this is allowed but here is their website....www.priorityone.org

A mod can delete the link if they need to.

Gavin

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gluck

oh, I don't think you have to worry about that....

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by gluck

oh, I don't think you have to worry about that....

I didn't think so but this day and age one never knows! I'm pretty new here but love this site!

Last edited by gluck; 02/27/15.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Welcome! Glad to have you here!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The child is fortunate to have a loving and understanding mother. And the child is fortunate to have curdog4570 for a grandfather, especially if the two of em' get to spend a fair amount of time together. If he says the child's mother is a 'good woman'...chances are...oh, overwhelmingly so...that she is.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
For those looking for a Bible as a gift or for another one to read, try the New Living Translation. It's accurate and uses modern day language that allows the reader to understand the text. I also have the big print version...not that I'm old mind you but it's that I like to be able to see the words.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
For those looking for a Bible as a gift or for another one to read, try the New Living Translation. It's accurate and uses modern day language that allows the reader to understand the text. I also have the big print version...not that I'm old mind you but it's that I like to be able to see the words.

The New Living is a good one. Try The Message as well. I like it because it uses modern language but seems to be a bit more in depth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually, I'm not in favor of a ten year old reading ANY version of the Bible...... and certainly no O.T. stuff.

Children's books ABOUT the bible are a much better choice in my opinion.

Once they are older, I find no fault with the N.I.V.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Actually, I'm not in favor of a ten year old reading ANY version of the Bible...... and certainly no O.T. stuff.

There is hope for you yet!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Children's books ABOUT the bible are a much better choice in my opinion.

Once they are older, I find no fault with the N.I.V.

I can understand that but I don't think you will find anything there worse than what's on popular TV. It may be a bit boring to young children but I read the OT to my kids and break it down for them. There are quite a few good things to be learned there.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,867
Posts18,517,955
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.