Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Local Dirt, You will not like where I price my model 70's, most come in high and go out higher! When it comes to pre 64 mod 70's you have to bear in mind you started out with 600K.... How many are left out there is anyones guess. very best winpoor

winpoor's right. Like he's said before, the rifle will sell itself. When you put it on an auction site, the price will sometimes skyrocket beyond belief. Personally I really don't like that, even when I'm the seller (BTDT). I've pulled rifles from gunbroker before when someone here noticed I was selling and sold them for a "reasonable" price to guys here. I'd much rather someone were very happy with the selling price, then get buyers remorse because their over inflated ego's got the best of them on an auction site.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, I hear what you're saying. But, if it were me selling that gun, I'd start it at a lower price, like $600, and let the market decide where to take it. Not, start it at $1150. That's knocking at the door of the highest price I've ever paid for any of my rifles. And trust me, none of them look even remotely like that one. But, I do a lot of diggin' around to find mine. I'm picky as hell, but I don't mind paying for a nice one.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
it is a 270 after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats worth something

"My goal in life is to be at least half the man my Dogs think I am."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Guys, I hear what you're saying. But, if it were me selling that gun, I'd start it at a lower price, like $600, and let the market decide where to take it. Not, start it at $1150. That's knocking at the door of the highest price I've ever paid for any of my rifles. And trust me, none of them look even remotely like that one. But, I do a lot of diggin' around to find mine. I'm picky as hell, but I don't mind paying for a nice one.

Smart man, that way these are a true investment and if/when you decide to sell them, you can do so and make someone very happy with a great deal and know you treated them right. I hear you. Guilty of doing the same kind of thing myself....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wapiti22
it is a 270 after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats worth something

I paid $1,350.00 for mine because it was nice (not beat to hell) and I knew the history. Sometimes I pay a touch more when it's the right one..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly! that's what I'd do! Heck, I might even pay Winpoor's prices for his guns for that same reasoning! smile

My nicest rifle is my .264 Win Mag M70. Absolutely pristine and I paid $1100 for it.
Next should probably be my flawless Sako 75 Hunter .270 Win that I paid $1100 for, but I've gotten so attached to the 30-06 FWT I bought off handwerk, it's now trumpin' the Sako for me!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Exactly! that's what I'd do! Heck, I might even pay Winpoor's prices for his guns for that same reasoning! smile

My nicest rifle is my .264 Win Mag M70. Absolutely pristine and I paid $1100 for it.
Next should probably be my flawless Sako 75 Hunter .270 Win that I paid $1100 for, but I've gotten so attached to the 30-06 FWT I bought off handwerk, it's now trumpin' the Sako for me!

After I bought my '56 30-06 fwt, I got rid of 3 other newer 30-06's in the stable blush . They just didn't compare!! Not even the slick azzed light extreme weather I had in the hunters compact edge. The pre 64 is slicker, more accurate and it fits me better. I don't just buy/like them because they are iconic or for nostalgic reasons..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, I just put another layaway payment on a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36, 4A reticle that Doug at Cameraland sold me as a display item.

IIRC, the FWT 30-06 I bought off handwerk is also a '56. Can't wait to get it all together!

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent scope choice for that fwt. I really like the one (older Habicht) on my pre 64 338. It's light and clear as hell. My only complaint is the tracking isn't as precise as I'd like. It stays zeroed, but I wouldn't want to spin turrets with it..It will, however, suit my needs for dark timber elk hunting quite nicely...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some times the buyers can be just as bad as the sellers in regards to overpricing. A good example of how a detailed description and good pictures can equal mo money.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=468616436

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by POPGUN
Maybe you could trade straight across with him for a 1200.00 dollar 10-22?

LOL... good one.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One can get Kimber 84 for what he is asking and scope + rings is about $75 of that package.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Excellent scope choice for that fwt. I really like the one (older Habicht) on my pre 64 338. It's light and clear as hell. My only complaint is the tracking isn't as precise as I'd like. It stays zeroed, but I wouldn't want to spin turrets with it..It will, however, suit my needs for dark timber elk hunting quite nicely...

Yeah, it only took handwerk 2 or weeks of cajoling to convince me to buy something other than a Leupold, for a change. Just kidding. LOL smile

But, he's got half a dozen or more on his other M70's, so it finally got through my ironhead that there must be something to them. smile

Now that I've come over to the Swaro dark side, I'm really excited to see it all come together.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A gun is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. And this is America, a man can ask whatever he wants for his gun

Local Dirt, why don't you check GB everyday from now on and report back here every 70 that you in your expert opinion think is overpriced.

Yawn.

Get a life Dirt Bag.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
99gay,
I look at gunbroker and a lot of other places and I don't waste a lot of time calling out a gouger.

But, a gouger is a gouger and I'll call the flagrant ones out whenever i get the notion.

And, I sure the [bleep] don't have to report to you for any gun I may be looking at or anything else for that matter.

Now go kiss your boyfriend's ass g'night.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Typical hillbilly redneck dumb pffuck response from somebody "south of south."

Anybody smarter than you must be gay.

Keep an eye out for any more gougers.

We'll all be waiting on pins on needles for your next report.

Last edited by 99guy; 02/27/15.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You could spend 24 hours a day pointing out guys who ask too much for guns on Gunbroker.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Dreamer yes but not price gouging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

The term is similar to profiteering but can be distinguished by being short-term and localized, and by a restriction to essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, medicine and equipment needed to preserve life, limb and property. In jurisdictions where there is no such crime, the term may still be used to pressure firms to refrain from such behavior.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've heard the "Jerry Springer Show" has episodes like what this thread is turning into.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree the price is too high, but it is technically not gouging until you charge someone too much when they have virtually no choice but to buy. I get that the OP is miffed, but hopefully a lack of market response will educate the seller. If he gets his asking price, then I guess it is we who have misjudged the market. Edit: Just checked and there were zero bids, so order restored, at least for now.

Per my rant on another thread, at least the guy is asking too much for an intact rifle. It could be worse.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/01/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.