-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Internet is something I use every day to discuss and learn about hunting.

From Google Earth to shopping for stuff it's #1.

Books and magazines have lost to the net.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And you've obviously learned a lot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The internet has helped more people become great shooters and to tell more people about their exceptional skills.

Or, at least they can claim to do so outside their geographic circle of friends who know the truth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GPS for finding your way out in the flat country woods after dark.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey jwall
Well, I am 70 and still use iron sights when appropriate. I do have scopes on most of my guns, but do not believe optics do much to improve my personal hunting skills. Glassing is a skill though.

The surgery they do on eyes now nearly take away many of the aging related issues.
Maybe that is the most important development for hunters-- laser eye surgery. Nah, they still mostly rely on optics, electronics and soft ware.
But hey, this is the land of freedom of choice.
Gotta love that.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by greydog
I can honestly say there has been no piece of equipment introduced in the last fifty years which has changed my hunting experience in the least. I don't use a rangefinder or GPS. I hope to never own a cell phone. I wear better boots than I used to and I having some cooking gear which is pretty good. I have a lightweight stove but usually carry the old heavy one because I like it. My binoculars are better but my eyes are worse so that's a wash!
I agree with Jim re the ATVs and consider them to be an instrument of the devil. GD

No modern stuff to speak of yet you are on a computer on a forum on the internet. LOL.

Side note, I still don't think goretex is a good thing.. damn stuff always will get wet in real rain.... to me its somethign to lure a person into hypothermia IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
hey roadkill-

I'm 65 and only use 1.25 reading glasses. On rifles, the intended target and front sight are good but the rear sight is blurred.
(IF I could I WOULD find a BL 22)

I've been using 1.25 r g since 1994 and I feel VERY fortunate. I have extremely good sight past arms length.

I refuse to put up with the problems associated with 'bi glasses' when all I need is glasses to read.

I haven't checked into any procedures/surgery yet because of my 'limited' limitation. <G>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only time i use a range finder for hunting is when bowhunting and i use it as soon as i get in my tree stand before any deer is sighted. I sometimes go back and check the distant to where i have just killed a Elk or Deer if the shot is at longer than wood hunting distant, just so i know how good i was at guessing the distant before the shot was taken.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One should not take good health or even fair health (limited limitations) for granted.
It is a blessing for sure.

From above-----
"on a computer on a forum on the internet"
Ahh Hahhh so that is the most important development for hunters?????

I bet high fence hunting is the "improvement" that has done the most to increase the harvest results for "hunters".

I enjoy and respect 24hr and its members, so I hope no one actually gets there panties in a bunch over my comments here.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bullets - I am more in need of a good scope than ever before.

It should be legal to shoot 'hunters' who are chasing game with ATV's. No there should be a bounty on the turds.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/05/15.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=greydog]I can honestly say there has been no piece of equipment introduced in the last fifty years which has changed my hunting experience in the least. I don't use a rangefinder or GPS. I hope to never own a cell phone. I wear better boots than I used to and I having some cooking gear which is pretty good. I have a lightweight stove but usually carry the old heavy one because I like it. My binoculars are better but my eyes are worse so that's a wash!
I agree with Jim re the ATVs and consider them to be an instrument of the devil. GD

No modern stuff to speak of yet you are on a computer on a forum on the internet. LOL.

Yet the internet forum has done absolutely nothing to alter my hunting experiences. When it comes to information which is available on the 'net, I think I can honestly say I give more than I take. In essence, the internet is entertainment, just like television, only interactive. I should add here; I give information about hunting and target rifles and gunsmithing techniques; I know quite a bit about these subjects. When it comes to hunting, I only know about walking a lot while carrying a rifle as an accessory item.
I do use one modern item; I have one of those telescoping walking sticks which I kind of like. I like a walking stick in the mountains as my balance doesn't seem so good now that I'm a certified senior. Truth is, I have some wooden canes I like as well but using a cane makes me look too much like a gimp. I may be one but don't want to look like it! GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greydog,

You make a significant point when you wrote:

"In essence, the internet is entertainment,
only interactive. "

The word Interactive
Has educated some 'gunwriters' and we find we know as much or more about hunting, shooting, guns and making them better than they do!

It also gives us all the chance to show what we do. It's way more fun than the old magazines.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone who thinks the internet has replaced books and magazines is.............reading the wrong books and magazines.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=greydog]I can honestly say there has been no piece of equipment introduced in the last fifty years which has changed my hunting experience in the least. I don't use a rangefinder or GPS. I hope to never own a cell phone. I wear better boots than I used to and I having some cooking gear which is pretty good. I have a lightweight stove but usually carry the old heavy one because I like it. My binoculars are better but my eyes are worse so that's a wash!

Yet the internet forum has done absolutely nothing to alter my hunting experiences. When it comes to information which is available on the 'net, I think I can honestly say I give more than I take. In essence, the internet is entertainment, just like television, only interactive. I should add here; I give information about hunting and target rifles and gunsmithing techniques; I know quite a bit about these subjects. When it comes to hunting, I only know about walking a lot while carrying a rifle as an accessory item.
I do use one modern item; I have one of those telescoping walking sticks which I kind of like. I like a walking stick in the mountains as my balance doesn't seem so good now that I'm a certified senior. Truth is, I have some wooden canes I like as well but using a cane makes me look too much like a gimp. I may be one but don't want to look like it! GD

LOL, we have walking staffs in AK, and often forget them... and 30 minutes out realize it and cut small dead spruce... doesn't look good, but I'm figuring mostly if anyone else sees us, we ain't huntin right...

I'm with you on the internet not changing your hunting, depending on what you use it for. Wondering how a cell phone would hurt you? They have made my family more comfortable etc... just like SPOT and Epirbs have.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Greydog,

You make a significant point when you wrote:

"In essence, the internet is entertainment,
only interactive. "

The word Interactive
Has educated some 'gunwriters' and we find we know as much or more about hunting, shooting, guns and making them better than they do!

It also gives us all the chance to show what we do. It's way more fun than the old magazines.

That is why they write about you, not to you...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now you can have a conversation about external and internal ballistics whilst sitting on the crapper.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
222 Remington Magnum...

WOW !

Guess I've missed "the most important development" in 50 yrs. It's amazing, guess the deer didn't know that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I had to go back to 1965 and hunt with the technology then available, then like a number of others have indicated, the thing I'd miss would be modern hunting clothes. I well remember the days before they existed, when you'd have wool for cold weather, which would get damp and stay damp, and chafe. Cotton when it was hot, which would hold sweat against you and again you'd chafe. Rain gear was nylon - which ended up with you just as wet as if you didn't have it - or oilskin which weighed a ton - and both were noisy.

The other item I'd miss, though not as much, would be GPS. I learned to navigate with map and compass, and can still do it of course, but there's nothing like GPS for getting you home in the dark or socked-in with fog, or on flat and trackless desert, or for marking a deer you've dropped and going right back to get the rest of it.

Good rifles, good knives, decent optics and decent boots were all available by 1965, and while I have used laser range finders I personally feel no need for them. Camelbaks and LED torches are items I like but could live without too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The internet--- without it we would never know how bad the 270 really is---

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,262
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.