Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Someday I'll draw a tag. I get around sheep quite a bit. Here's a shot I took one evening, and is my favorite. It's an untouched photo in absolutely natural, late-evening light:

[Linked Image]

Seen plenty of sheep around Big Sky, used to be an unlimited unit, now I understand it's a draw unit? how are the odds?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad,
Was thinking as good of a backpack hunter as you are have you considered some of the unlimited units in the Beartooths?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar

Seen plenty of sheep around Big Sky, used to be an unlimited unit, now I understand it's a draw unit? how are the odds?

Odds aren't especially good.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad,
Was thinking as good of a backpack hunter as you are have you considered some of the unlimited units in the Beartooths?

I have, but it's a race. It's you against the clock and other hunters. That kind of pressure isn't appealing to me, and not how I ever intend to hunt. No trophy is worth that to me. I'd rather just backpack...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a race to beat the quota cutoff, plenty of rugged country to get lost in.
Would be surprised if you saw other hunters if you went far enough and high enough?
Could be wrong? haven't hunted sheep there, only deer and elk and generally at the lower elevations.
Also fished some of that country, Beartooths are my favorite mtns.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a ram I found in the spotter a few springs ago. He was down and apparently not able to get up. A friend and I made the 1+ mile hike to him and found that was for certain the case. Called FWP, and the next day they came out, though the ram had died in the meantime. They took him out via snowmachine.

I'm fairly certain some immature male wolves had run him down the mountain and he'd gotten hung up in some barbed wire and cut himself open real good. The autopsy FWP conducted definitely confirmed the barbed wire part, but they weren't willing to speculate on the wolf part. Thing is, I'd watched those wolves try to stalk the group this ram was part of.

Surprising how fragile these animals are, despite the terrain they inhabit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a race to beat the quota cutoff, plenty of rugged country to get lost in.
Would be surprised if you saw other hunters if you went far enough and high enough?
Could be wrong? haven't hunted sheep there, only deer and elk and generally at the lower elevations.
Also fished some of that country, Beartooths are my favorite mtns.

I believe it "depends" which unit you're hunting. Big thing is per-season scouting and being setup at first light.

Maybe Pat will chime in and share his experience.

Aside, this is a great thread! The photos are outstanding...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

Your assurance that you'll eventually draw a Montana ram tag is heartening, but this year will be my 40th time applying, and Pat is well ahead of me, even though he's a little younger. After high school I lived in South Dakota and Wyoming for a few years after high school, so couldn't apply as a resident and couldn't afford to as a non-resident.

Then I started college in Missoula, about the time the Rock Creek herd started producing huge rams and became THE place to apply in Montana. I hunted deer and elk in that drainage, and a buddy drew a few ewe tags, and I went along on one of those. After seeing some of those huge rams (one standing on a rock less than 50 feet above us, watching as my buddy field-dressed one of his ewes) I couldn't imagine going after a ram in the unlimited areas, even though I was somewhat familiar with them from backpacking during my high school years in Bozeman.

Looking back on it, maybe I should have started hunting the unlimited areas, but seeing really big rams does tend to spoil you. After college I also spent a lot of time along the Front (where I helped my wife fill a ewe tag 24 years ago) and in the Breaks, and got to know some of those sheep well, and like you had extreme confidence in eventually drawing a tag SOMEWHERE.

I did draw a ewe tag in the Elkhorns a few years ago, and during that hunt saw a bunch of good rams, but the next winter the herd got pneumonia and almost disappeared; there haven't been any tags since. The Rock Creek herd isn't what it used to be either, for the same reason.

Will turn 63 this upcoming hunting season and by now don't regard drawing a Montana bighorn ram tag as essential to existence. It would be nice, but I've hunted everything else on my "life list," both in Montana and elsewhere. Maybe I'll draw a ram tag this year, but somehow doubt it, even with maximum points, because despite being lucky in many aspects of life, drawing special tags ain't one!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to try an Unlimited unit one of these years... I'm thinking 2016.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
After seeing some of those huge rams (one standing on a rock less than 50 feet above us, watching as my buddy field-dressed one of his ewes)

JB, I was kind of wondering how spooky big horns really are in Montana? Guessing it's a unit dependent kind of deal?

I know a cowboy from over north of the lake and he says it's no big deal to ride a horse right by them at a pretty close distance.
I've never seen a Breaks sheep so have no idea but from what him and a few other people have mentioned getting close enough for a shot is relatively easy.

Of course finding the best ram in all that country might be a little trickier.

Mountain goats are also another 'tame' critter in certain units as well?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goats out here aren't to spooky of folks either, apparently.

Some fella ran across one on a trail in the Olympics. The goat wouldn't give way and when the fella pushed the issue, the goat killed him.

In fairness though, I bet he drove a Subaru grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah MM, the goat probably did us a favor!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet it had an Obama sticker!

Still, getting horned in the guts in front of your family has to suck.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Sam,

I have a slide somewhere in my files taken in the late 1980's, when a buddy and I used to float the Breaks from Judith Landing down to Fred Robinson Bridge during the first week of the deer rifle season. My buddy is aiming his rifle offhand at a BIG ram, maybe 50 yards away, which just stood there looking at us. (Of course, no bighorn was harmed in the taking of the photo.) When I drew my ewe tag in the Elkhorns a few years ago, my stalk up to some nearby cliffs where I'd found a ewe herd took me past six mature rams, bedded on the slope. I passed within less than 150 yards of them and they never stood up.

Could give you a bunch of other examples of the same basic stuff, and they get even dumber during the rut, like the one that stood above us while field-dressing the ewe. When we dragged her back down the mountain (there was snow on the ground and sometimes she dragged us) we ran into about 10 other mature rams, all within 250 yards at most, and the spookiest any of them got was to mill around a little, then stop and stare at us some more.

Except in the unlimited areas, the chance of any individual ram (or even any individual ewe) ever getting shot at is pretty slim, so there's no real reason for them to fear humans.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great thread guys... didn't catch it the first time around.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you can stand a few more (can't remember which of these I've posted before).

Top of Atigun pass (taken from the truck):
[Linked Image]

Just off the highway in Turnigan Arm:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Up a little higher:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my favorite AZ desert pics

Attached Images
15d_ram_2011.jpg (28.3 KB, 130 downloads)

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Except in the unlimited areas, the chance of any individual ram (or even any individual ewe) ever getting shot at is pretty slim, so there's no real reason for them to fear humans.

JB, that's kinda what I was figuring.

That float trip sounds like a lot of fun!

And great pictures from everyone, cool thread.

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/04/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
An Idaho Hell's Canyon ram...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DA-YUM!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,484
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.