Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell no.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For me, it doesn't matter if I am hunting deer or turkey on my home place in Indiana, chasing mulies or elk here in the Breaks, or traveling to any mountain range in Montana. Google Earth, Bing Maps or any other computer program pm that allows me to see the lay of the ground from the air is by far the biggest advantage to having a successful trip. Printed maps can not even come close to showing you what you will be needing to know about an area. I have friends come from all over the country to hunt and before they come out we can save days and hours of valuable time by "scouting" via
Google Earth. Nothing developed in the last 50 years in the way of range finders,optics,cell phones etc can even come close to that aerial scouting trip, that
Google provides.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes. Backcountry Navigator and Trimble GPS Hunton my tablet let me switch back and forth between aircraft/sat images and different kinds of maps for the area I'm interested in. Priceless.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For us Westerners one (but probably not the greatest) are the much superior tires for all vehicles now. When I was a kid in NE Wa. St. all we had was HARD lugged bias tires and chains. Now we only use chains when it gets really BAD, but winters aren't what they were in the early 60's. Maybe cause I'm older and drive more carefully it is easier to get out and around but the tire traction is sooo much better. That said I had to have my son drag me out of the field today as the top 1" is slime and a 2WD and highway tires don't cut it, live and learn. Mom didn't call me Muddy for nuthin!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Downstream
For me, it doesn't matter if I am hunting deer or turkey on my home place in Indiana, chasing mulies or elk here in the Breaks, or traveling to any mountain range in Montana. Google Earth, Bing Maps or any other computer program pm that allows me to see the lay of the ground from the air is by far the biggest advantage to having a successful trip. Printed maps can not even come close to showing you what you will be needing to know about an area. I have friends come from all over the country to hunt and before they come out we can save days and hours of valuable time by "scouting" via
Google Earth. Nothing developed in the last 50 years in the way of range finders,optics,cell phones etc can even come close to that aerial scouting trip, that
Google provides.

Forgot about that completely Downstream. I think you are right, I use google earth for all my "scouting" of possible trout streams to fish...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since I primarily hunt in places that tend to be cold and wet, I'd say warm, dry clothes and boots. Or perhaps more accurately, my ability to afford such things was the critical development?

Never owned a good pair of water proof insulated huntng boots until into my 30s. Or any good rain gear until later than that.

Not much call for electronics where and how I hunt most of the time, although I've had a compact 800 yard laser range finder for years.

Acquired topo maps for the areas I generally hunt deer in, many years ago.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I pointed out in an earlier post, laser rangefinders have affected far more than the ability to determine range. They've resulted in just about all of today's scopes having far more repeatable and accurate adjustments, even if you never turn a turret in the field to change range. Plus, many of today's reticles are far more practical just for shooting at "ordinary" ranges, whether on varmints or big game, even if you don't use a rangefinder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For ME the most important development in the last 50yrs was being born... wink I was still 14yrs premature 50yrs ago. Some of you guys are OLD! laugh

H
Huntz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pointer
For ME the most important development in the last 50yrs was being born... wink I was still 14yrs premature 50yrs ago. Some of you guys are OLD! laugh

OLD is better than DEAD!!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As I pointed out in an earlier post, laser rangefinders have affected far more than the ability to determine range. They've resulted in just about all of today's scopes having far more repeatable and accurate adjustments, even if you never turn a turret in the field to change range.

I would go along with this. One interesting thing I've noted with all the responses is, a lot depends on what and how you hunt. Lots of guys have named a piece of gear that I don't even use much less find indispensable.

But I'd go with the LRF just because as MD said, it's had a huge ripple effect on a lot of other stuff, especially scopes. But also other stuff like LR bullets. Who even knew what BC was 50 years ago? Who would've thought you could punch some numbers into your phone and get elevation and windage corrections for your specific elevation and atmospheric conditions?

Originally Posted by pointer
For ME the most important development in the last 50yrs was being born... wink

No, it was the WOD!!! Followed closely by spandex......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
Name one thing.No lists or seconds.

What could you not do with out on a Hunt.

This is from the Original Post. Also what I'm saying (answering) is subjective.

***I*** can not do without a SCOPE.

AS has been pointed out LRFs have had a tremendous affect on more than 'distance'. In the 70s only high end scopes were dependable (IMO). Overall scope quality has gone thru the roof. Today there are low to moderately priced scopes that aren't too shabby.

I know I'm not alone in THIS. I have an almost 'built in' compass. Only ONCE in my life have I have been lost. This was @ 1971. We didn't have cell phones, gps, or LRFs.

I don't NEED or use a GPS but if I were to go some/many places I WOULD get one and learn how to use it. I know how valuable they are where they're needed.

Before 1994 I could use 'iron' sights. Since then the rear sight is only a blurrrr. So a SCOPE is the most important GEAR to me.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
OP, I would say Birth Control.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Laser rangefinders changed more aspects of hunting than any other single device.

Ding, ding. I'd probably have a few more critters on the wall. a 40" Dall Sheep to mention just one. And save your breath - don't bother telling me I could have been a better hunter and gotten a little close. smile

And I would probably have a B&C whitetail. I had the 270 wby mag but couldnt tell if he was 450 or 550.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Eileen's cook books weren't available 50 years ago, and a great boon to the hunter they are. What use is a rangefinder if you're just going to fry it and pour ketchup on it after you kill it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If we are talking big game and deer hungting my list would be: Knife first, binoculars second, compass third.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many things to list including vehicles, bows, arrows, fabrics, powder, bullets, optics, electronics, range finders, packs, internet, etc. BUT I think it has got to be GPS. Satellite communication has also started to make a large impact. YMMV

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 03/12/15.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My nominee is bullet technology. In 1965 it was cup and core and the Nosler Partition.

Now we have reliable controlled expansion bullets from everybody.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A dedicated season for primitive weapons could be argued a significant development for hunters.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Smooth toilet paper!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.