Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
handwork The Goudy is gone? Ooohhh nnnooo! We need to discuss that next phone conversation... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by BobinNH
But the winner would be a 270 remodeled and stocked by Len Brownell for Bob Chatfield-Taylor and used by him on hunts here in NA with JOC and in Africa. I bought it from his son.Wish I had that one back for sure. frown

Bob, that must have been PAINFUL to let go! cry

Eric

Eric that isn't as bad as what he brought to my office after I bought the Brownell cry

It was the 7x57 G&H M70 that RCT's wife had built for him.That rifle is pictured in an old issue of Handloader's Digest with an article that RCT penned entitled "Notes on the 7mm's" or something like that. It was a beautiful little rifle.

But I had just bought the 270 and couldn't make myself pay the money at the time.

Yes selling the rifle was a faux pas...back then I had several customs and sort of took things for granted....youthful mistake.

That rifle actually popped up on Guns International within the last two years. It sold for substantially more than I payed for it but of course I bought it back in the 1980's.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
....pre 64 M70 you regret selling the most?

Yeah I know we would like to have them all back;but that's not an answer. smile

We've all bought and sold them. So which one would you like to have back the most if you could ? frown

I sold my best shooting pre 64 model 70 to EricM here. It is chambered in 30-06 (my favorite cartridge) and I'm eternally grateful it went to such a great guy. I'm also selling my 338 Alaskan to him. Now that one will have me kicking myself in the azz for a while. Thankfully I still have a good 338 in the stable wink

Don't worry BSA, I'm taking care of your babies! grin cool

My regret is a '55 Super Grade National Match 30-06 that I sold awhile back. Very rare combination, and the wood was outstanding. I didn't appreciate what I had at the time and let it go to chase another rifle. You live and learn!

Eric

Mr Eric, That gun is haunting me more than YOU, I had gone off the grid so to speak and totally missed ,had no idea you were selling . That gun is the Holy Grail to me!!!! very best WinPoor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned quite a few pre 64's in the past but only have one custom pre war by Mark Penrod that I'll never sell.

I can think of quite a few I'd like to have back. I had a couple of featherweights with the al. buttplates in both 30-06 and 270. Both were great shooters.

Another was a pre war in 30-06 that was around 95% but had a hole drilled in the rear and had redfield mounts. It shot real well too and what a classy gun.

I've owned several more but the one I lusted after, years ago, was an early 375HH. My friend ended up with a 1950 model near mint.

The one I wished I'd never sold would be a pre war 270 with a Lyman from the factory and the rear receiver was not drilled. I bought it from a guy that inherited it from his dad, who had bought it new. This was at gun show and a friend and I had a table. Minty rifle. Bought it for $900 and sold it the same day for $1300. Quite a few years ago but I wish I had put that one under the table and kept it!

Last edited by Sendero; 03/05/15.

Terry
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Way more than one. Always enjoyed chasing them. Sold many nice ones when prices spiked (I thought) several yrs. ago:

Unfired .458
MC Supergrades in Hornet, Roberts,.300 H&H, .375
Carbines in Hornet, .250/3000, .270
.300 Savage and .35 Rem Standards
7 M/M SG

Too many others to think about. All the above except the .300 Savage were absolutely mint guns. All were original. Had opportunities over the years to buy both 7.65 and 9 M/M Standards but did not because of paranoia about their history.

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by balltownbob
Way more than one. Always enjoyed chasing them. Sold many nice ones when prices spiked (I thought) several yrs. ago:

Unfired .458
MC Supergrades in Hornet, Roberts,.300 H&H, .375
Carbines in Hornet, .250/3000, .270
.300 Savage and .35 Rem Standards
7 M/M SG

Too many others to think about. All the above except the .300 Savage were absolutely mint guns. All were original. Had opportunities over the years to buy both 7.65 and 9 M/M Standards but did not because of paranoia about their history.

Wow! Nice!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't have any huge regrets about things I have sold. A few, but no huge ones.

I do think I have sold some things too cheap to people who I later decided weren't worthy of my generosity. On the other hand, I have flat given some guns away, and I don't think I regret any of those.

However, I do have some stuff I am hanging onto that logic tells me I should let go, and I haven't yet. If I had kids, hanging onto things would make more sense (or at my age, maybe have already passed them down.)

What I absolutely DO regret is some holes that got drilled and modifications made that did make sense at the time, but not so much now.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BobinNH: Over the years I have probably sold/traded 20+ pre-64 Winchester Model 70's that I now wish I had back - so that goes.
But the one I want back most or wish I hadn't traded off to begin with, was MINT condition pre-64 Model 70 African in 458 Winchester Magnum!
I bought and then sold this Rifle back in the mid 70's and indeed, I made a couple hundred bucks on it. But that Rifle, in that condition, has been irreplaceable for me - to date anyway.
That rued transaction took place back before "we" (Model 70 collectors) actually knew how really RARE the Model 70 Africans were!
Yeah I wish I had that one back.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't sold any. I plan to keep the one I own.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
VG: Had a chance to buy a 458 from a friend....passed on it and sort of regret that.I can understand your regret. They were nice rifles!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

We've all bought and sold them. So which one would you like to have back the most if you could ? frown

I sold my best shooting pre 64 model 70 to EricM here. It is chambered in 30-06 (my favorite cartridge) and I'm eternally grateful it went to such a great guy. I'm also selling my 338 Alaskan to him. Now that one will have me kicking myself in the azz for a while. Thankfully I still have a good 338 in the stable wink

My regret is a '55 Super Grade National Match 30-06 that I sold awhile back. Very rare combination, and the wood was outstanding. I didn't appreciate what I had at the time and let it go to chase another rifle. You live and learn!

Eric

We all knew that one would be the one you'd be kicking yourself in the azz over!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=VarmintGuy]BobinNH: Over the years I have probably sold/traded 20+ pre-64 Winchester Model 70's that I now wish I had back - so that goes.
But the one I want back most or wish I hadn't traded off to begin with, was MINT condition pre-64 Model 70 African in 458 Winchester Magnum!
I bought and then sold this Rifle back in the mid 70's and indeed, I made a couple hundred bucks on it. But that Rifle, in that condition, has been irreplaceable for me - to date anyway.
That rued transaction took place back before "we" (Model 70 collectors) actually knew how really RARE the Model 70 Africans were!
Yeah I wish I had that one back.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy [/quote

Probably regrets the Sadhawks crap he started too. shocked
And won't face it nor apologize like he expected others to do.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Eric

We all knew that one would be the one you'd be kicking yourself in the azz over!!!!!

True story. I lurked here a good while before I signed up. What got me off the fence was I had to sign up so I could PM Eric and make sure he understood what he had with that rifle. If I remember correctly, he was going to take it hunting. Nothing wrong with that, but I did want to make sure he understood that dinging that rifle was a much bigger $ deal than dinging a lot of other Pre '64 M70s. I didn't know what it was worth, but I was pretty sure it was a lot, and I got the idea that he didn't know what it was worth either. I think I got the message across, but geez, I didn't know he was going to haul off and SELL the darn thing!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I only have an almost. This 358 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Works on varmints too.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
!974, I was going to school in Tifton GA, ABAC and I worked at the Bull test station, A big ole boy that worked with me had his Dads pre 64 Win Mag ( 458)and wanted to sell it, I told him to bring it and a handfull of bullets, I shot that big SOB 3 times, I may have weighted 150 lbs wet! That SOB kicked me so hard I told him he would have to pay me to take it! If I had only known!!!!! very best WinPoor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tmitch
The only one I've sold, a .264 Featherweight. Accurate as hell and the nuclear muzzle blast/flash was awe inspiring. Doubled my money on it but still wish I'd kept it.

tmitch, always like reading your posts. You can take some pops with my .264 Win Mag if you want, if you ever make it to the south of south.. for nostalgia reasons, of course. smile

Best Wishes,
LD

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Eric

True story. I lurked here a good while before I signed up. What got me off the fence was I had to sign up so I could PM Eric and make sure he understood what he had with that rifle. If I remember correctly, he was going to take it hunting. Nothing wrong with that, but I did want to make sure he understood that dinging that rifle was a much bigger $ deal than dinging a lot of other Pre '64 M70s. I didn't know what it was worth, but I was pretty sure it was a lot, and I got the idea that he didn't know what it was worth either. I think I got the message across, but geez, I didn't know he was going to haul off and SELL the darn thing!

OH man, now we know the whole story. It was really your fault!!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
!974, I was going to school in Tifton GA, ABAC and I worked at the Bull test station, A big ole boy that worked with me had his Dads pre 64 Win Mag ( 458)and wanted to sell it, I told him to bring it and a handfull of bullets, I shot that big SOB 3 times, I may have weighted 150 lbs wet! That SOB kicked me so hard I told him he would have to pay me to take it! If I had only known!!!!! very best WinPoor

I was being born that year... Geesh... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I was being born that year... Geesh... laugh whistle [/quote]

Yeah, well I was young yesterday, and you will be old tomorrow. Time flies . . .PUNK! grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44mc, 1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,298 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.