Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I am looking for a noise-reducing compensator for an AR. I would also like to use it on a 22LR if possible.

Which one is the best?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lavang works well, blast out front

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I hear the 'flash can' design ones are pretty nice. Getting it to a 22lr level is not going to happen with out a suppressor, IMO.

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything that is "noise reducing" is a suppressor. What are you looking for?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a video with a blast shield (similar to the Noveske pig and KAK device) and a decibel meter. The decibel testing starts around 4:30.

They obviously push the concussion forward rather than to the side, but to say that they are quieter is very misleading. The Griffin blast shield reduced the noise at the muzzle from 170ish to 166ish decibels.

For reference, a whisper and rustling leaves are rated at 20 decibels. So the blast shields reduce the decibels by 1/4 of the sound of rustling leaves.
https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surefire, Thunderbeast, and SilencerCo make the best ones. They are kinda expensive though and take a few months to come in. wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Each db of reduction cuts the sound in half, so it is actually a large reduction. I am considering one of these:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/kineti-t...with-13-16-x-16-threaded-sleeve-2-piece/

Has anyone used one?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
165 decibels is enough to rupture your eardrums. So yes, if the sound is "reduced" to a level that will cause serious damage to your ears / hearing, the "reduction" is a marketing gimmick.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jimone
Each db of reduction cuts the sound in half, so it is actually a large reduction. I am considering one of these:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/kineti-t...with-13-16-x-16-threaded-sleeve-2-piece/

Has anyone used one?

If you use one let us know how it goes.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am just trying to reduce noise to where muffs or plugs alone will work, instead of both that are needed now with 16" mid length A2 flash hider. My 22" AR is much better, but heavy to lug into coyote blind.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its a gimmick alright, but in reality, if you feel the need for a compensator, why not look for the quietest. But ONLY if it doesn't reduce the compensation... after all if you feel the need, you are competing against a clock or shooting moving yotes etc... at that point the recoil reduction is more important than any sound level. IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Here's a video with a blast shield (similar to the Noveske pig and KAK device) and a decibel meter. The decibel testing starts around 4:30.

They obviously push the concussion forward rather than to the side, but to say that they are quieter is very misleading. The Griffin blast shield reduced the noise at the muzzle from 170ish to 166ish decibels.

For reference, a whisper and rustling leaves are rated at 20 decibels. So the blast shields reduce the decibels by 1/4 of the sound of rustling leaves.
https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

Blue,

I don't think you understand how the decibel scale works.

The decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear.

On the decibel scale, a change from 10 to 20, is a change in power from 10 to 100. Where a change from 90 to 100 is a change from a million to 10 million. Your example of the rustling leaves is a misapplication of the scale.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are trying to reduce the pain from shooting a 16" carbine with an A2 installed when hunting, the linear compensators do reduce some of the side blast and improve your comfort. Still loud as heck...

NRA Life Member
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
After playing with a few geared to reduce noise this is my choice:
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...Comp_1_2x28_Blac_p/kvp-linear223-blk.htm

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take yalls word for it that I misunderstand decibel algorithms or whatever.

But that doesn't change the fact that 166 decibels will injure you and isn't "quiet" by any standard.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
...The decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear.

On the decibel scale, a change from 10 to 20, is a change in power from 10 to 100. Where a change from 90 to 100 is a change from a million to 10 million. Your example of the rustling leaves is a misapplication of the scale.

AMEN! Also, audio engineers will give their specs in one of two scales, dBa or dBm. Which one makes a big difference. Of course, marketing guys take whichever looks best to them, number-wise, and push that. May or may not be accurate but, hey, it sells!

I don't care who you are, 166dB is LOUD and injurious!

Even Chuck Norris doesn't snore at that level! laugh

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 03/15/15.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimone
I am just trying to reduce noise to where muffs or plugs alone will work, instead of both that are needed now with 16" mid length A2 flash hider. My 22" AR is much better, but heavy to lug into coyote blind.

What muffs are you using? I use these alone with braked guns all the time without issue.
http://www.pksafety.com/lel3ea.html?gclid=CPfWuNqEq8QCFYI9aQodJrEAlg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting RE hearing loss, we never shot without custom plugs and generally muffs over that.

About the only shooting i've ever done was dove/duck that did not get protected( and should have).

Lets just say at 50 now I'm already having trouble hearing.

Protect what you got.

166 is still loud.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-EP5-...?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YH73YCSZTYMKQNCZRFF

with David Clark muffs with gel seals or Peltor Bullseye Shotgunner muffs that are low profile. The muffs bother me more due to interfering with the stock and getting pushed askew.

My ears ring when I'm dehydrated at all from power tools and aircraft engines as well as gunfire.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The custom molded plugs are easy to get in the ears, twist em in, and have done most of our work over the years when low profile muffs interfere with stocks....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338reddog, 63 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.