Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Having been shot, I really don't know how to explain it to you guys, I don't believe a crook [non-narcotic] knowing he's doing BAD will be as hard to stop as a man running in with GOOD on his mind and in his heart.

I can tell you, I didn't feel it, I was deaf, my tongue numb and tingling and teeth clenched so hard they shoulda been crushed to powder, and everything in this world 'except' the dude I was going after was a blur, kinda like he was in a ghost ring sight or something. crazy

Trump Won!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have been shot as well and it was simply numb, until the next day.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, numb, then cold, then hurts like hell. grin

Trump Won!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been shot "at".

Guess my bad guys didn't have good shootin skills.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RWE
I've been shot "at".

Guess my bad guys didn't have good shootin skills.

I would think being shot AT would be the luckiest day of a mans life, albeit, still sucks. smile

Trump Won!
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didn't do much for my shorts...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RWE
didn't do much for my shorts...

May have added a bit of color? laugh

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I prefer to call it a spirited debate. It sounds so much nicer that way.

What those guys did wasn't fighting their way back to a rifle (or shotgun).

Really? Really? They're trading rounds with the murderer, and granted, they were just trying to keep his head down to try and keep him from shooting at them as they did the right thing...they sought cover. But I doubt either one of them would have shed a tear if the murderer was killed by their suppressive fire. What are your requirements for a violent interaction between the LEOs and a bad guy, both sides using deadly force, to be classified by your aloof definition as a "fight"??

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i was shot at as well. still cant find my shorts, they were puckered in pretty deep

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I prefer to call it a spirited debate. It sounds so much nicer that way.

What those guys did wasn't fighting their way back to a rifle (or shotgun).

Really? Really? They're trading rounds with the murderer, and granted, they were just trying to keep his head down to try and keep him from shooting at them as they did the right thing...they sought cover. But I doubt either one of them would have shed a tear if the murderer was killed by their suppressive fire. What are your requirements for a violent interaction between the LEOs and a bad guy, both sides using deadly force, to be classified by your aloof definition as a "fight"??

Good grief MD...Where did I say that they weren't "fighting"?

I said that they weren't "fighting their way back to a rifle (shotgun). That's the whole context of this part of the discussion....Fighting your way back to a rifle to use it. And those guys didn't. They fought their way back to a point of cover and pointed shotguns at the house, just like they could have pointed their pistols at the house.

They didn't try to get back to the Constable, who was deceased, though they didn't know he has deceased at the time. They, of course, stayed behind their patrol units with shotguns trained on the house where the murderer was still barricaded and waited for the SWAT team. The reason they approached the Constable's body to begin with is because they didn't see an immediate threat, like the murderer standing on his porch with the rifle he killed the constable with. He shot at them just as he had killed the constable; he shot through his front door and front screen door. Had the murderer made the decision to charge the two patrol cars he would have run into a virtual storm of 000 Buck shot.

The whole notion of the conversation is that I'm going to shoot my way to my car, get a rifle, and then re-engage the bad guy. And from your account they didn't do that.

Nobody's knocking what they did. But what they did isn't what we're talking about.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I prefer to call it a spirited debate. It sounds so much nicer that way...

I have a feeling that anytime I offer an opinion on something you'll be there to engage me in a spirited debate.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I appreciate their efforts in every aspect but moving back to the car as an option to get a long gun did not seem to be part of the direct plan, just a result of positioning.

In the fight I referenced earlier the initial officer was pissed he did not get his AR out but it was in the trunk (old car with no rifle rack). He was quite candid to admit he always thought there would be time to get it out of there but once the bullets started flying there was no time. He shot from behind the drivers side door and even the racked shotgun seemed a million miles away.

I said it before but there is a huge difference between a proactive response and deciding to bring a long gun vs reacting in a dynamic, changing environment when you are playing freeze tag with live rounds.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I appreciate their efforts in every aspect but moving back to the car as an option to get a long gun did not seem to be part of the direct plan, just a result of positioning...

Even the USSC has recognized that deadly force encounters are very fluid, ever-changing situations; and the changes are not predictable. You have to be able to adapt, change your solution to the very present danger, and hope that you made the right decision(s) and come out of the encounter alive. That's what the two officers did. Their first plan was to try to get to the downed Constable. Unfortunately, he died very quickly where he was standing by the front door. The officers didn't see the bad guy, so they decided to try and get to the Constable and pull him out of harm's way (they didn't know he was already dead). When they started taking rifle fire they had to adapt to the new variable (taking fire) and correctly decided to retreat to their patrol cars, transition to shotguns and take a defensive position behind cover (their patrol car engine block and front wheel). So, in a way I agree with you, but as the dynamics changed they adapted their plan to counter the new variable (rifle fire).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I said it before but there is a huge difference between a proactive response and deciding to bring a long gun vs reacting in a dynamic, changing environment when you are playing freeze tag with live rounds.

Another "notion" that I mentioned: handguns are for deadly force encounters that you don't see coming. If you know a fire fight is imminent, and you have the time, grab the AR-15 A4 and meet your opponent with overwhelming force.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another "notion" that I mentioned: handguns are for deadly force encounters that you don't see coming. If you know a fire fight is imminent, and you have the time, grab the AR-15 A4 and meet your opponent with overwhelming force.

Excellent point.

In a NON-LEO context, handguns are for daily CCW and for immediate access in the home. If you KNOW someone is breaking in and you have time to access a long gun, it makes sense. However, the handgun is supposed to be "handy".

Rule 1, right?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At the same time we are told to keep guns unloaded and locked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut

Who is telling you that crap?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
He lives in Minnesota so I would assume everybody he meets.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut

Not only unloaded but with the ammo separate...

Those who espouse that can go pound sand. I have every gun lock my guns have come with, in their original, unopened packages.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager

Excellent point.

In a NON-LEO context, handguns are for daily CCW and for immediate access in the home. If you KNOW someone is breaking in and you have time to access a long gun, it makes sense. However, the handgun is supposed to be "handy".

Rule 1, right?

Absolutely. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me. I keep a couple (maybe more) of handguns hidden in strategic places in my home so that I'm not ever very far from a handgun no matter where I am in my home. One stays in my truck console and I carry when I leave. I am of the opinion that our Nation is not very far from some serious civil unrest. My wife, who tends to dismiss the idea of large scale civil unrest as "chicken little-the sky is falling" hysteria, is now getting the same vibe and has even asked me to get her a Glock 17 to carry after she takes the CC course here.

So...in a long-winded answer...yes...rule #1. If you don't have a handgun handy, and TSHTF, Darwin finds and punishes those who left home without at least a handgun.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (35WhelenNut, 7mm_Loco, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 19 invisible), 1,009 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,888
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.