Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm with Dave on the patronization of the usps for a postal money order. I'm usually working when they are open, and standing in line for the usual 20 - 30 minutes while the one disgruntled clerk does their best to live up to the unofficial motto of "we're not happy till you're not happy!" is akin to some form of medieval torture....

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simple answer is what John stated. If you have concerns just post you wait until funds clear before shipping.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In my transactions I usually suggest a USPS money to protect myself and the seller for a few reasons.

1. Seem to be the most reasonable price
2. A USPS MO can be verified at the PO counter and cashed (if funds
available onsite)
3. If fake you know before you ship
4. The protection that using the US Mail falls under the Felony
offense of Mail Fraud and for those that been defrauded local
PD's don't seem to have the resources for follow-up where as
the Postmaster works through their internal channels to get the
appropriate officials involved.

Not all PO's use official USPS MO's due to rural or satellite locations so in those cases I call to verify.

Any personal check or form of payment I'm not sure I hold until it clears my bank.

All of these things may not be listed in my ad but fully discussed through the final sale process and mutually agreed upon.

Last edited by GTP350; 03/19/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Fotis
Paypal is the way to go. Immediate transfer and safe.

Until Paypal discovers that it's a gun transaction, and freezes your account, AND keeps the money...........

How are they to know. I have purchased more guns bullets brass with PP than using any other method.

Of course it does take an average IQ or above for both parties to keep it discreet.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatammo
I usually include my phone# and sure do like people who do. I'm old fashioned and like to talk to a person.

Good point as do I.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only way PayPal will screw with your account if they realize it's for a gun transaction is if you tell them it is. I've done literally hundreds of gun-related transactions via PP with 0 problems (and I know of no one personally who has either). I always state PayPal preferred in my ads, but let the door open for geezers (young or old) who distrust electronic transfers to send payment via snail mail. Y'all best get used to it because there will come a day in the not to distant future when money instruments made of paper will be anachronistic.

I have passed on really good deals because the seller insisted on postal money orders as payment. Like the comments already posted, I just won't take time off work to go stand in line at the PO forever to buy a MO that I'm going to pay for with plastic anyway. I never had a problem depositing a MO at the bank, but my local PO has turned me away from cashing them so often because the clerks didn't have enough funds in their drawer to cover them that I don't even bother trying anymore. (Again with the standing in line to be told that.)

Aren't there phone apps that facilitate the acceptance of credit/debit cards for individuals from individuals via computer or phone? I bet there are, and I bet such things will be necessary to have altogether too soon, like it or not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only use USPS money orders. I find it's the best method for me. If selling, I cash it at the post office and it ships. never a problem, except LARGE amounts now and then.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Paypal is the way to go. Immediate transfer and safe.

Until Paypal discovers that it's a gun transaction, and freezes your account, AND keeps the money...........

How are they to know. I have purchased more guns bullets brass with PP than using any other method.

Of course it does take an average IQ or above for both parties to keep it discreet.

Yep, one mention of the word "gun" or similar and your account is frozen. I know from personal experience.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
2015 + USPSMO = Counterproductive bad idea

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GTP350
In my transactions I usually suggest a USPS money to protect myself and the seller for a few reasons.

1. Seem to be the most reasonable price
2. A USPS MO can be verified at the PO counter and cashed (if funds
available onsite)
3. If fake you know before you ship
4. The protection that using the US Mail falls under the Felony
offense of Mail Fraud and for those that been defrauded local
PD's don't seem to have the resources for follow-up where as
the Postmaster works through their internal channels to get the
appropriate officials involved.

Not all PO's use official USPS MO's due to rural or satellite locations so in those cases I call to verify.

Any personal check or form of payment I'm not sure I hold until it clears my bank.

All of these things may not be listed in my ad but fully discussed through the final sale process and mutually agreed upon.

I usually ask for a USPS money order. As mentioned however, alternate means of payment can be an option. I would certainly accept a personal check if the buyer didn't mind waiting for it to clear. Nearly anything can be worked out. Good communication is the key to any transaction.

A MO is no big deal to me. I go right by the local PO at least 3 times a week and wait is never more than 5 minuets, often much less. I can understand however if a MO is a hassle. All we would need to do is discuss it and find another way.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I do not use USPS money orders. If the sale requires them, I just don't do the sale. I do not have the time to take off work and stand in line to get a money order, after I go to the bank to get cash to pay for it. I have never understood why I should risk all my funds to send in the mail to someone who may or not actually have the item I am intending to buy, yet the person cannot even trust my payment? It seems more buyer are ripped off than sellers. I agree with the original poster, list the payment requirements in the ad, so it doesn't waste our time when it comes down to a postal money order. As a final point, I have never been able to cash a postal money order at the post office. Everyone pays with cards and they do not have cash on site to cash them. Everything about the post office is a major delay to day and I avoid it if at all possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, it's a pain in the arse to got get a postal MO. I have no problem if a seller asks for one, that's his business, but it'd be good to know up front so I can let the deal go by unless it's something I HAVE to have. It has to be a really good deal or something I really need to mess with a postal MO.

Last edited by huntinaz; 03/19/15.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't stand Postal Money Orders either. They are hard to get and hard to cash, and no more secure than any other form of payment.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If I could Id ask for gold! but ask for money orders, postal M.O. are best! Ill take a check from someone Iv delt with before or if a guy explains he cant make it to the PO then imm take a check and wait till it clears, dont like paypal its lenked to Flebay and they suck now big time , I used to sell alot on ebay asked for M.O. for payment, till they stoped it. This group in a hole is great, but iv had to eat a few small things! one guy big poster here owes me 20 bucks beem a year and a half now, always says he forgets because of his meds.20 bucks is not going to break me!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can't believe a USPS MO is such a big deal to some. Glad that's not the case here.

I'm happy to deal with checks too.

I agree with the OP though payment details should be listed with the ad.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I usually accept whatever form of payment is convenient for the buyer. Paypal is preferred and more convenient but a check or money order is fine. Heck, I'll accept a left nut, a kidney or your first born if you're inclined...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A USPS MO costs me my entire lunch break typically. I have to wait in line for at least 1/2 hour typically. Plus I have to go the bank beforehand and get the cash to buy the MO.

I'll do it if the seller wants it that way and I want the item bad enough. This is an interesting thread, I didnt really understand why people preferred USPS MO's, now I see why, and why not....

I agree that stating payment terms in the post is a good idea, and I'll keep it in mind for anything I sell in the future...

Eat moose, burn spruce
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlering
If I could Id ask for gold! but ask for money orders, postal M.O. are best! Ill take a check from someone Iv delt with before or if a guy explains he cant make it to the PO then imm take a check and wait till it clears, dont like paypal its lenked to Flebay and they suck now big time , I used to sell alot on ebay asked for M.O. for payment, till they stoped it. This group in a hole is great, but iv had to eat a few small things! one guy big poster here owes me 20 bucks beem a year and a half now, always says he forgets because of his meds.20 bucks is not going to break me!

nope will not kill you
but really pisses one off on principal
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome photo, Pittu. Decent!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I take any method of payment, including personal checks. I have had no issues.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.