Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I gave away my best kudu head to my PH. My wife and I already had several at home, and this one didn't exactly dwarf the others.

But it was also the biggest the PH had ever guided anybody to, and since he owns a sporting goods store and didn't have a big kudu head in the store, the choice was pretty easy. I enjoyed the hunt a lot, since it took over two weeks to find a kudu big enough to tempt me, and I have a great photo of me and Rob and his head tracker Clifton, sitting behind the bull. We're all happy--in fact I remember thanking Clifton for his excellent tracking after we killed the bull.

We'd jumped the kudu once without a shot, and then Clifton and I climbed a big hill after it, getting within 100 yards before jumping it again--but this time I had a chance and made a good running shot. After I thanked Clifton, he said, "Oh no sir, thank YOU, for shooting the kudu dead!" I have the photo and a letter from Clifton on the wall of my office, excellent trophies that bring back that day perhaps even better than any mounted head. And I know the other trophy is in a fine place as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
John, you and I think alike.

I need to hunt up my copy of "Meditations" and read it again.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Bill,

I tend to reread it every 3-4 years, but reference various sections at least once a year.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
John:

I haven't read it in at least 20 years. It's been almost that long since I've seen my copy. (That's the problem with collecting way too many books.)

Mine is the first English translation sent to me to review early in my career, and its illustrations are as memorable as the text. I suppose it would be valuable if it were in pristine condition, but I was so impressed with it that I underlined and highlighted entire paragraphs throughout the book.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That happens! I've marked up a bunch of new books, long before they somehow turned "valuable."

John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But it was also the biggest the PH had ever guided anybody to, and since he owns a sporting goods store and didn't have a big kudu head in the store, the choice was pretty easy. I enjoyed the hunt a lot, since it took over two weeks to find a kudu big enough to tempt me, and I have a great photo of me and Rob and his head tracker Clifton, sitting behind the bull. We're all happy--in fact I remember thanking Clifton for his excellent tracking after we killed the bull.

We'd jumped the kudu once without a shot, and then Clifton and I climbed a big hill after it, getting within 100 yards before jumping it again--but this time I had a chance and made a good running shot. After I thanked Clifton, he said, "Oh no sir, thank YOU, for shooting the kudu dead!" I have the photo and a letter from Clifton on the wall of my office, excellent trophies that bring back that day perhaps even better than any mounted head. And I know the other trophy is in a fine place as well.

John, I'm pretty sure there has only been one time in my life that I've slid down a steep hill carrying detached kudu testicles in my hand......
is it possible this kudu you're speaking of was the former owner....?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi John,

I do believe that's the one!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think when I go to Africa it's going to be for a Cape Buffalo. I don't want a half dozen or more trophies on the ground that I have to figure out what to do with. I guess I'd take quality over quantity.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I think you need to hunt Africa first before being so sure about quality versus quantity.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to say plains game aren't quality. Just saying I don't want crates of trophies to bring home.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
+ 1, John.

Bill Quimby

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
moosemike,

You get charged basically the same for shipping a cargo box of animal parts home no matter how full it is, whether it just holds a Cape buffalo skull or half-a-dozen skulls and capes. So you might as well fill it up, or leave everything over there and bring home photos.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If only there were a way to leave the heads and hides and bring the meat home, I'd shoot the full complement of plains game. I hear they have some animals over there that are tastier than Moose. Gemsbok is one. I'm thinking about taking a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas to fill the freezer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
moosemike,

You get charged basically the same for shipping a cargo box of animal parts home no matter how full it is, whether it just holds a Cape buffalo skull or half-a-dozen skulls and capes. So you might as well fill it up, or leave everything over there and bring home photos.

Niiiice MD, real nice. Chipper will be back shortly to start chewing your azzz out again.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
If only there were a way to leave the heads and hides and bring the meat home, I'd shoot the full complement of plains game. I hear they have some animals over there that are tastier than Moose. Gemsbok is one. I'm thinking about taking a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas to fill the freezer.

If you are thinking about filling the freezer, a Nilgai fits the bill quite nicely- one of the best eating 4-footed critters on the planet, IMO. Texas has lots of 'em.......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the best "grocery shopping" can be had in the Texas hill country. Eland, Gemsbok, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Nilgai, etc.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, Texas was apparently created for "safari" hunters who want to bring the meat home. It isn't quite as exotic as going to Africa, though a lot of South Texas is very similar to a lot of African bushveld, but it's closer and coolers are welcome. I have brought back a bunch of great meat, including some from African animals. It's one reason I hunt Texas far more often than Africa anymore.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While off topic nilgai are hard to beat for hunting and eating. This was from last weekend.

[Linked Image]

Backstrap

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I never expected this thread to go this long or become so contentious.

This is my experience. I have made multiple trips to Africa (Tanzania, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe). Every head of plains game I have shot is mounted. Most are shoulder mounts, one full body mount, a couple of skull mounts. Of the 9 buffalo I have hunted, two are shoulder mounted, a couple are skull mounted in the states, I have loaned one shoulder mount to the local gun store, and a couple more reside in camps in Africa. Of course my leopard is in a full body mount.

In all my other hunting my taxidermy work has been limited. Bear rug, nilgai skull mounts, a couple of ducks, one alligator tanned, a pig, like I said very limited.

I hunt for my own reasons. It is very personal to me and matters not if I am in Louisiana or Africa. Hunting is in my DNA, it is part of my heritage. I know for certain I am a fourth generation alligator hunter in Louisiana. In my last three trips to Africa I have not shot a single head of plains game, only elephant, buffalo, and leopard. I even used buffalo to bait for the leopard. One reason I have not shot any more plains game is because I did not want to mount them. I have shot tuskless elephant and non-trophy buffalo in those trips and did not mount them. There are still some plains game I want to take and each will be sent to the taxidermy shop.

This is my opinion. Hunt for whatever reason you want. If you do not want to have your animals mounted, that is your business. My ethics are not the same as your ethics. While I do not agree with everything Chipolopolo writes, I do understand his way of thinking. And while some of his language at times is a little strong he is a good guy and has helped me with some non-hunting interests. It somewhat amuses me to see guys that have been to Africa maybe once belittle and take pot shots at a hunter that has made at least 20 African safaris. I know whose OPINION I value more.

And BTW, I am doing a skull mount on the nilgai from the above post.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,465
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.