Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I am looking at a commercial piece of property for sale.

Spoke with a local appraiser to just get a general idea of property values.

Turns out, he had just appraised this property in the recent past.

How much could he share with me? If I paid him a fee, could he share most all of his findings from the previous appraisal with me? Or would this be crossing some ethical barrier?

Montana MOFO

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It was paid for by someone else. It's not his appraisal, its theirs. He'd be giving you their property. However, anyone can hire an appraiser so likely he'd just dig out his findings, duplicate the appraisal, and charge you full price.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It was paid for by someone else. It's not his appraisal, its theirs. He'd be giving you their property. However, anyone can hire an appraiser so likely he'd just dig out his findings, duplicate the appraisal, and charge you full price.

Pretty much sums it up.

Appraisal may be the same, or close depending on recent sales of comparable property in the area.

If the guy would sell you the previous appraisal under the circumstances you mentioned, I would not trust him anyway, and seek another certified appraiser.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
or compare to the counties appraisal... they have to be within a percentage of what the going value is IIRC.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
or compare to the counties appraisal... they have to be within a percentage of what the going value is IIRC.

They do in Texas now. Not sure what other states laws are.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And the worst part, wife is a registered appraiser in TX, and they come down on you hard, even if you are only trying to be what you feel is fair.

Its always make sure you get the highest non representative sales included in the area... obviously so you get more tax..

And .gov on the state level blabs about holding the line on the rates... WTF good to hold the rates if the valuations go up....

None of .gov is worth a flip...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Pretty much sums it up.

Appraisal may be the same, or close depending on recent sales of comparable property in the area.

If the guy would sell you the previous appraisal under the circumstances you mentioned, I would not trust him anyway, and seek another certified appraiser.

If he did the appraisal with in a reasonable time <90 days, I don't see a problem. If he tries to sell you the same appraisal 6 months later, that is an issue.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
What I should have asked if there was a reasonable and ethical way for him to do a brief "drive-by" appraisal? I wasn't asking, nor expecting the appraisal to be given to me.

But on that note, would it be acceptable for me to approach the guy that paid for the appraisal and offer to buy it from him? Appraisal was completed this past winter, I believe.

Last edited by Tarkio; 03/19/15.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So I'm taking it you don't have a local county appraisal district? Where you could get the info for free? That or they aren't close on value?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
An

None of .gov is worth a flip...

The Finest are.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In some states the county tax appraiser and the market value can differ greatly. Florida is a good example. If the appraisal is more than 6 mos old you sure want it updated as much can change if your market is hot. Your county appraiser might have recent sales you can look up if you know about them. But unless you know a lot about commercial properties you might have trouble adjusting values. I would be suprised if he agrees to a drive by appraisal. If he takes a dime from you he is subjecting himself to liability for what he has done. If he is worth a crap even if he has already done one recently he will check for recent sales. If he is not worth a crap then his first appraisal may not be either. Consider that. Im not an appraiser but I have been a full time commercial broker in Florida since 1986. So believe me , i have seen some crap. Even got some on me.LOL.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our county tax assessor showed up last fall for a look at our place. They hadn't been here since we built it in '95 and they didn't know about the added garage, shop, fencing, barn, orchard, etc. even though it was all done with the proper permits. Luckily, state law says they can't increase taxes more than 3% in a given period so the increase was minimal. I expect it'll catch up over time.
A couple months later we had it appraised as we were thinking of selling. The appraisal is double the assessment. That's about normal here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
wow. did not know that some could be off that far. OR that you could legally get away with not declaring all that you add every year.

Guess there are differences in every state.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All that really matters to the county is the relative values among properties, not necessarily the actual values. They will adjust the tax rate to get the desired revenues no matter how low or how high the appraised values are.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The county here does NOT adjust any rates, at least not the appraisal district.

But here in TX the appraisers must be held to a much higher standard than other areas.

Tax rates here have held basically flat for long periods of time as its not popular to raise the rates.... hence the valuation has to stay current for there to be any increase of tax income.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You get what you pay for, plus or minus a bit.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It sounds like Texas is a lot more stringent in its tax appraisals. Here in NC counties are required to update the values every 8 (?) years, but the revaluations are done en masse, so the accuracy for any one parcel may be off by quite a bit.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If this is commercial property for sale, then are you looking at it as an income property, or as a site for your own commercial activities?

Because the answer to that question changes the way (IMHO) you would think about the value of an appraisal. If it's the latter (you're going to use it, not rent it), then okey-doke, go ahead.

But if it's the former, though (you're looking at it for rental income), then I'd think you would calculate an offer price based on the anticipated cash-flow potential, kinda (not totally, but kinda) regardless of the appraisal.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They have been coming after us HARD for property taxes. Broke, mismanaged city = 20% increase in the last 2 years. I fought it, and it ended up being about a 12% increase. They'll be back at it next year I'm sure. I told them that I would sell my house today if I could get what they wanted to value it at. They just stared at me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.