Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Wow, that was a great story. Tell me more stories of revolvers and 1911s to show what can't be done with a plastic pistol. Or tell me more stories about what you didn't do to prove that something can't ever be done by anyone.

As for 1/1,000,000,000....you can surely take that as a well researched and statistically accurate probability if you want. Or you can take it as it was obviously intended....to represent "highly unlikely".

Nice deflection Blue but the same could have happened with a Glock, XD or any other semi-auto. What I was addressing was your statement about putting one of your thumbs on the back of the slide to keep it in battery while pressing it into ones target..

As to the "highly unlikely" I can give you a few more examples of confrontations that ended up with contact shots..so it is far from highly unlikely...it isn't even rare...it is quite common.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For you guys that say you put "a lot" of ammo through your 1911's . What is "a lot"?

Dink

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DINK
For you guys that say you put "a lot" of ammo through your 1911's . What is "a lot"?

Dink

About 70K+ through S&W DK's. Each

They were built tough. Not major loads tough. Well maintained.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Dink, for about 4 years, I was shooting my Gold Cup about 150 to 200 rounds weekly. After that, I wasn't worried about her being reliable.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I "inherited" my 1911. It had many thousands of round through it before me, and a couple thousand after. It's never failed me, and if failed the previous owner, it was LONG since fixed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
Wow, that was a great story. Tell me more stories of revolvers and 1911s to show what can't be done with a plastic pistol. Or tell me more stories about what you didn't do to prove that something can't ever be done by anyone.

As for 1/1,000,000,000....you can surely take that as a well researched and statistically accurate probability if you want. Or you can take it as it was obviously intended....to represent "highly unlikely".

Nice deflection Blue but the same could have happened with a Glock, XD or any other semi-auto. What I was addressing was your statement about putting one of your thumbs on the back of the slide to keep it in battery while pressing it into ones target..

As to the "highly unlikely" I can give you a few more examples of confrontations that ended up with contact shots..so it is far from highly unlikely...it isn't even rare...it is quite common.

Bob

What deflection?

Somebody said that pistols can be taken out of battery if the muzzle end of the slide is pressed against something. I said that it can be overcome by putting pressure against the back of the slide with your firing hand thumb. Which is absolutely true. I've never killed a man that way but I've rolled full contact on the concrete enough in training (and been able to do it), and fired enough rounds against hard targets using the method, to convince me that it's a valid tactic.

Then you went off on diatribe about how you and your buddy were in a situation were you didn't use the tactic and your buddy didn't think he could. Which are both true too, I'm sure. But that does nothing to prove that it's not a valid tactic or not something to be considered. If you don't like it fine. If you don't think anyone can ever do it just because you couldn't, that's absurd.

And again (and I'll type real slow)....I never said that contact shots were highly unlikely. I said that having to use that particular tactic was highly unlikely. There are lots of ways to skin a cat and applying pressure to the back of the slide is just one of them. The fact that you think contact shots are "quite common" and yet believe that a thumb-on-the-back-of-the-slide method isn't feasible PROVES that the thumb-on-the-back-of-the-slide method is, in fact, highly unlikely as the ONLY way to resolve the problem.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If 1911's are so unreliable, why are they still the best selling pistol in America? Tradition only gets you so far, at some point someone is going to want their gun to work.

Maybe I'll get an answer this time.

Do you have a source for the comment that 1911s are currently the best selling pistol in America? I looked but didn't see something that supported that, but didn't look passed the first google page so I may very well have missed it.

And is your position that if a lot of something is sold, that's evidence that it must be of high quality?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

About 70K+ through S&W DK's. Each

They were built tough. Not major loads tough. Well maintained.

Thanks. I consider that a lot.

The reason I asked because I was shooting my SR1911 today and twice on the reload (I was shooting the March pistol drill) the magazine release stayed depressed not allowing a mag to seat. Gun hasn't been shot much for crap like that to happen.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by gmoats

Discussions like this one are the intellectual equivalent of "Ginger or MaryAnne" arguments.

MaryAnne.

Next question?

Maryanne to marry. Ginger for the wild ride.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mac84
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by gmoats

Discussions like this one are the intellectual equivalent of "Ginger or MaryAnne" arguments.

MaryAnne.

Next question?

Maryanne to marry. Ginger for the wild ride.

Why? Take charge man. It is your Island. Ride them both without marriage. You want to lose 1/2 your Island?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this, I recently tore a tendon in my elbow that controls my two middle fingers. As a result I have very little grip strength (currently measures at under 30lbs). I can shoot a pistol off a rest, but not well without just yet. When attempting to shoot my glocks I get ftf assuming that is from the limp grip. My 1911's don't seem to care.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Looking at the rifles, are not #3 &#7 the same?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the comment section.

"Just noticed it is January ONLY,,,"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

How is it possible that the Colt Python is at this time the #1 best selling revolver?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are just sales figures from Gunbroker.com ......

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 41magfan

You have gotta ask yourself, Why are more people selling off these particular guns than any other models ???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Originally Posted by 41magfan

You have gotta ask yourself, Why are more people selling off these particular guns than any other models ???

Because they are cashin' in. grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If 1911's are so unreliable, why are they still the best selling pistol in America? Tradition only gets you so far, at some point someone is going to want their gun to work.

Maybe I'll get an answer this time.

Do you have a source for the comment that 1911s are currently the best selling pistol in America? I looked but didn't see something that supported that, but didn't look passed the first google page so I may very well have missed it.

And is your position that if a lot of something is sold, that's evidence that it must be of high quality?

Without numbers to support it, I think it is safe to assume that the 1911 is a best seller. More and more manufactors add them to their line. At one time only colt made them. In the last few years both Remington and Ruger have added the 1911 to their product line.
Remington, Ruger, Caspian, Les Baer, Wilson, Springfield, RIA, Norinco, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Spartan, Pare Ordinance, just to name a few producers of 1911's.
Also Magnum Research and I am sure I missed some.

Last edited by jwp475; 03/23/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it might be hard to nail down the top stop for any specific handgun. No real numbers. The 1911 may be close because so many different makers produce some model or variation. S&W's M&P seems to show up a lot:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/top-10-best-selling-concealed-carry-handguns/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/collection/top-10-handguns/

http://www.gunbroker.com/Content/Top5/2014-02-GunBroker-Top-5-Guns.html (by months)

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/21/gunbroker-breaks-top-five-best-selling-guns-every-category/

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.