Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
They eat good!!!!

"Ribeyes in the sky" grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard then watched a flight of them crossing Fossil ridge a couple of years back in Co ahead of a snow storm will never forget that sight.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hear they're good eating.. I don't think I could drop the hammer on one.

Big flock flew over me yesterday, and I musta looked like a dope standing in the parking lot and staring up in the sky at them.

I said that about swans until I drew a tag about 15 years ago. Virginia gave out 660 of them due to species starvation. Not really sure who is smart enough to figure that out but who am I to argue? I named him Chester and he's still with me. He just doesn't honk anymore.

Although, I did feel bad when I learned they mate for life. Had I known that before the hunt not sure I would have shot. In fact, I know I wouldn't.

BTW swans are excellent eating. The breast meat is a blood dark meat.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
San Luis Valley in southern Colorado with Sangre De Cristo mountains in the background.

[Linked Image]

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They're delicious!

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=willhunt4]They're delicious! [/quote

I wouldn't know. They nest up here and are around until mid September. Can't get within rifle range..... And you guys think pronghorn are tough!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
San Luis Valley in southern Colorado with Sangre De Cristo mountains in the background.

[Linked Image]

What a great photo!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A nice group flew across the sky in the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" and they called them geese. About the only thing wrong I could find in that whole movie...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
S
Watched a fall migration on the Kenai peninsula years ago while moose hunting. Amazing sight and sound.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A nice group flew across the sky in the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" and they called them geese. About the only thing wrong I could find in that whole movie...

Most egregious were the screaming turkey vultures gathered around the buried-up-to-his-neck Del Gue. And then later on, right before Johnson is about to lead the relief column through the Crow burial ground everybody is paused, and a pileated woodpecker calls out of te silence from up the mountain. Very good use of a bird call to set a mood, except that pileateds ain't found in the Rockies.

About cranes, they're a rare treat over the city, but always have me craning my neck when I hear 'em. I love that sound from way up high.

Most unusual one fall was a single adult whooper I need one late fall, flying quietly overhead.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Sandhill cranes along the Platte River in Nebraska.

Rowe Sanctuary's Crane Cam (live)

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...hs-greatest-migrations-180949816/?no-ist

Every year 400,000 to 600,000 sandhill cranes—80 percent of all the cranes on the planet—congregate along an 80-mile stretch of the central Platte River in Nebraska, to fatten up on waste grain in the empty cornfields in preparation for the journey to their Arctic and subarctic nesting grounds. This staging is one of the world’s great wildlife spectacles, on a par with the epic migrations of the wildebeest and the caribou. It takes place in three waves of four to five weeks each, beginning in mid-February and ending in mid-April, during which birds that arrive emaciated from wintering grounds in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Chihuahua, Mexico, gain 20 percent of their body weight.

Last edited by NeBassman; 03/24/15.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Birdy,

Pileated woodpeckers abound here on the place. All the old folks refered to him as the little warrior. Because he was always painted for war! And your right. What a call! I always stop what I'm doing and listen when I hear him!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Might have to drive out past Grand Island later this week and see if they've overrun the place. Haven't seen them in a few years.
They should be thick. We're on the west end of the flyway, but they are here in good numbers. I've been running a couple set lines for catfish and am on the river before daylight. When several hundred decide to take flight off the river roost, it's pretty cool. You can feel the sound waves in your chest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We get to hear them all winter around here, and I admit that I do love the sound. However, when I lived in an old ranch house a couple a hundred yards or so from the Niobrara River up in northern Nebraska, they didn't sound so great.

Just when the weather would turn warm enough to finally be able to have a window open at night for fresh air, thousands of Sand Hill Cranes would alight in the braided stream next to the house each night. They make those cries all night long and they are really loud up close. For about four or five weeks was necessary to close the windows each night and pull the curtains in order to get any sleep.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We don't see em west of here much in Nebraska, but I have seen them in east Colorado along I-76.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
number of years ago, a vet. friend of mine and i were hunting on a private ranch for sand hilled crane down near douglas. At daylight when they took off from the sanctuary you could hear them coming a mile away. Wingtip to wingtip, they were flying to the food source. All I could think of was the 8th air force over germany and be being a 88 gunner.
I knocked the first one down okay, but the second i thought was dead, he wasn't. I left my shotgun and went to pick him up. Found out he was just wounded. I grabbed him by the neck and he was beating the crap out of me with those wings and feet. I yelled to my partner, phil, throw me a knife. He was laughing pretty hard, and said "no, Ron, fight him like a man." Sorry to say i had to strangle the s.o.b., the bird, that is, as he was beating the snot out of me. Did i mention they are BIG birds.
Now grilled, they refer to them as a texas flying tbone, cause thats what they look like. Mighty fine eating.
If i ever go again, i am packing a knife.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
We don't see a lot of cranes around here, but last spring I did see a couple of whooping cranes in a field by the road, one morning on the way to church.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We (Cookie and I) have about a 9 mile drive to the office. For about 6 of those miles this is what we have to deal with for about 2 1/2 months each spring.
Tons, literally, of snows
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hundreds of cranes
[Linked Image]

These greater sandhills are about 6 ft tall.
[Linked Image]
And any number of other fowl.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note the band below
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/2minutes/Pintail1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/2minutes/BuffleH.jpg[/img]

Pretty hard to not stop and look at everything on the way out, and this is about what things are like today. In the fall we get nothing but honkers.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/15.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
There is love/hate relationship with them here. The state wildlife agency set up a refuge near the Tennessee River and the flock has grown tremendously. There is a festival in their honor during February. However, the folks that live near the refuge have to listen to the noise twenty-four hours a day for a couple of months. I used to rabbit hunt a property near there and the noise would get to me after a couple of hours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I hear they're good eating.. I don't think I could drop the hammer on one.

Big flock flew over me yesterday, and I musta looked like a dope standing in the parking lot and staring up in the sky at them.
many times I've caught myself staring strait up with mouth hanging open...
Then suddenly it occures to me.
laugh

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 76 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,969
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.