Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Cooper, are you declaring that Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, Peter, James, Paul, et. al. are liars?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by NeBassman
What does atheism "worship"? What rituals does it have?

I once saw a group of atheist that were on their knees bowing before a large letter of "N". One asked another; "Is Nothing sacred"?

laugh

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow...a post on religion/nonreligion and only minor bashing. Who'd a thunk it.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Should be no bashing. I enjoy an open exchange of thoughts.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
Wow...a post on religion/nonreligion and only minor bashing. Who'd a thunk it.

Yeah, well GFY.

OOPS!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cooper, are you declaring that Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, Peter, James, Paul, et. al. are liars?

No more than Buddah, Mohammad, King Tut, Solomon, Ghandi, Bob Marley, Brigham Young etc etc. How many times was the bible translated? I'm sure nothing ever gets lost in translation.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
By definition Atheism is a religion, however Atheists don't want to say that because religion is often offensive to them.

Possibly some have reason to be offended. I probably would be offended by someone who spoke to me for 5 minuets and declared I was going to Hell because I didn't agree with them.

I'm a Christian but I don't mind Atheists as long as they don't attack or belittle me for my beliefs. I've met some that seem to want to go out of their way to be offensive but like I said Christians can be just as bad. I don't agree with Atheists but quickly playing the Hell card isn't going to lead to any discussion or conversion either.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The translation(s) you mentioned have been done over the years as new manuscripts were found and from better understandings of specific word meanings as intended and perceived. You are right about things lost but there's also the matter of things found.

How about a yes or no answer to my question about the disciples/apostles mentioned?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ringman
The Supreme Court declared it is.

Can you supply us with the case, and the case # and date?

This isn't a dig....Im truly curious.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
By definition Atheism is a religion, however Atheists don't want to say that because religion is often offensive to them.

Possibly some have reason to be offended. I probably would be offended by someone who spoke to me for 5 minuets and declared I was going to Hell because I didn't agree with them.

I'm a Christian but I don't mind Atheists as long as they don't attack or belittle me for my beliefs. I've met some that seem to want to go out of their way to be offensive but like I said Christians can be just as bad. I don't agree with Atheists but quickly playing the Hell card isn't going to lead to any discussion or conversion either.

Well said! I do get tired of the few radical haters who say a cross offends them. They have a right to not believe just as you and I have a right to believe.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The translation(s) you mentioned have been done over the years as new manuscripts were found and from better understandings of specific word meanings as intended and perceived. You are right about things lost but there's also the matter of things found.

How about a yes or no answer to my question about the disciples/apostles mentioned?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both liberals and muslims claim to be tolerant, until you disagree with them.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wonder where Ole Cooper ran off to? Was here just a few minutes ago.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Funny how that works.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I have no way of knowing and neither does anyone else. If they came to a wrong conclusion, which they believed, would they be liars, or just mistaken?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cooper57m

I have no way of knowing and neither does anyone else. If they came to a wrong conclusion, which they believed, would they be liars, or just mistaken?

That brings up an interesting question. I always assumed that Atheists just took the Bible as fiction. Are you saying that you believe the Apostles lived but they were just mistaken when they saw blinded eyes opened, deaf people speak, lame walk, and the dead raised up?

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
[quote=Old_Toot]Cooper, are you declaring that Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, Peter, James, Paul, et. al. are liars?[/quote

Not Cooper but I'll give it a shot. Where they liars? I don't know. I wouldn't think so. But how do I know what they wrote? How do I know who wrote what? When was it written? Was it 100% accurate?
Let's say the disciples did write the books with their names on them. Does that make it Gods word? The same disciples who couldn't seem to understand what was being told to them half the time? The ones who denied and doubted him? See I don't think that makes them bad people, just human. I don't expect them to be perfect, not their writings(if those even are their writings). Now as for Paul, I have major doubts about Paul. I see no reason to believe he was really a disciple or should be given the authority that he has been. It just doesn't make sense.
I don't think the Bible is the infallible word of God. It could be, but I don't think so. I also don't think it needs to be. If you knew suddenly with 100% certainty that the Bible was not 100% gods word, would it destroy your faith? Would you give up and stop believing in God altogether?
Is God big enough and apparent enough to exist for you without a book?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Funny how that works.

...."Live and let live" need not apply. wink

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by cooper57m

That brings up an interesting question. I always assumed that Atheists just took the Bible as fiction. Are you saying that you believe the Apostles lived but they were just mistaken when they saw blinded eyes opened, deaf people speak, lame walk, and the dead raised up?

Do you believe every faith healer, or anyone who has revived someone from death's door is a god or a son of god? One can believe the apostles lived, but wrote fiction. Lots have been written about lots of gods over time. They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by xxclaro
[quote=Old_Toot]Cooper, are you declaring that Matthew, Luke, Mark, John, Peter, James, Paul, et. al. are liars?[/quote

Not Cooper but I'll give it a shot. Where they liars? I don't know. I wouldn't think so. But how do I know what they wrote? How do I know who wrote what? When was it written? Was it 100% accurate?
Let's say the disciples did write the books with their names on them. Does that make it Gods word? The same disciples who couldn't seem to understand what was being told to them half the time? The ones who denied and doubted him? See I don't think that makes them bad people, just human. I don't expect them to be perfect, not their writings(if those even are their writings). Now as for Paul, I have major doubts about Paul. I see no reason to believe he was really a disciple or should be given the authority that he has been. It just doesn't make sense.
I don't think the Bible is the infallible word of God. It could be, but I don't think so. I also don't think it needs to be. If you knew suddenly with 100% certainty that the Bible was not 100% gods word, would it destroy your faith? Would you give up and stop believing in God altogether?
Is God big enough and apparent enough to exist for you without a book?

No not necessarily but the main theme in the Gospels is a truth that must be accepted to be saved. To believe that there is a God is not enough. The Gospels teach me that I can't just trust in a God that will either accept me or not based on how acceptable I am in this life. It's the written Gospels that show me the great revelation that I could never be good enough to be accepted on my own. Jesus took my place accepting my judgement as his own. To be saved I have to trust in His sacrifice of himself as having been made on my behalf.

Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.