-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
guys worry far too much about their equipment, and small differences, in rifles ammo etc. and tend to ignore the important stuff like your physical condition, keeping warm and dry and well fed on a hunt, and studying topo maps. Id bet good boots and socks vs badly fitting boots, and having a warm sleeping bag vs freezing your butt at night, have had a bigger effect on a hunts outcome that rifle calibers, being used, and getting into an area a few days early to get used to the altitude before strenuous activity prior to a hunt starting, preventing altitude sickness, has sure helped more, and spending an hour a day for a few months prior to a hunt in 4 15 minute sessions on a tread mill or running laps will sure benefit you more than any change in bullet design between a 180-200 grain bullet.
I can,t help smiling reading through this thread and thinking back 35 plus years when two of the guys in our elk hunt club had this big debate on the merits of the hornady 190 grain vs the speer 200 grain 30 caliber bullets.
I do most of the hand loading of ammo, for most of the members and either bullet can be loaded to similar velocities.
these guys got a whole bunch of old wet phone books and did penetration tests because they were curious, concerning penetration, and just if your curious the hornady usually penetrated a bit deeper, the speer opened faster,
(btw both bullets are accurate)but the end result was over at least a decade of hunting both projectiles proved very lethal on elk, so it mattered not a bit what was used.I know, that in 30 plus years neither guy has killed an elk at over 300 yards, and regardless of which bullet is used,a good shot in the heart/lung area results in a dead elk.

http://handloads.com/loaddata/defau...;type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I have started working with a new to me Tikka in .300 win mag. This will be primarily an elk rifle.
After some initial testing with various bullets it has averaged less then an inch for three shot groups with:
180gr. nosler partitions/handloads
180 gr. Barnes TSX / handloads
220 gr Sierra RN/handloads
180 gr Noselr Partition / Federal Factory loads

These were all shells loaded for other guns and they all grouped under an inch and all grouped to same relative point of aim.
I am gonna start assembly loads for it and am kinda undecided what I would like to use. Magazine restricts to an absolute max. length of 3.34" so it becomes an issue with heavier bullets.
All things considered equal what would you use for an elk bullet

P.S. Most shots 300 yds. or less

Nothing wrong with any of 'em. I will be trying the 175 LRX. The 165 HIB worked just fine before, but I never leave good enough alone...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had great results with the 180 TTSX's out of my 300 H&H

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I have started working with a new to me Tikka in .300 win mag. This will be primarily an elk rifle.
After some initial testing with various bullets it has averaged less then an inch for three shot groups with:
180gr. nosler partitions/handloads
180 gr. Barnes TSX / handloads
220 gr Sierra RN/handloads
180 gr Noselr Partition / Federal Factory loads

These were all shells loaded for other guns and they all grouped under an inch and all grouped to same relative point of aim.
I am gonna start assembly loads for it and am kinda undecided what I would like to use. Magazine restricts to an absolute max. length of 3.34" so it becomes an issue with heavier bullets.
All things considered equal what would you use for an elk bullet

P.S. Most shots 300 yds. or less

Nothing wrong with any of 'em. I will be trying the 175 LRX. The 165 HIB worked just fine before, but I never leave good enough alone...

laugh

Just part of the disease process... blush

Evidence of being a Loony... cool

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've settled on the 180 TTSX in my 300 Weatherby and the 150 in the 7mm RM after trying lots of different bullets including partitions and Accubonds. The tipped Barnes just shoots better for me and has worked better on elk than the others. I have to agree all would do the job just fine with decent placement, With a raking angle at 200+ yards I have more faith in the TTSX.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 340mag
guys worry far too much about their equipment, and small differences, in rifles ammo etc. and tend to ignore the important stuff like your physical condition, keeping warm and dry and well fed on a hunt, and studying topo maps. Id bet good boots and socks vs badly fitting boots, and having a warm sleeping bag vs freezing your butt at night, have had a bigger effect on a hunts outcome that rifle calibers, being used, and getting into an area a few days early to get used to the altitude before strenuous activity prior to a hunt starting, preventing altitude sickness, has sure helped more, and spending an hour a day for a few months prior to a hunt in 4 15 minute sessions on a tread mill or running laps will sure benefit you more than any change in bullet design between a 180-200 grain bullet.
I can,t help smiling reading through this thread and thinking back 35 plus years when two of the guys in our elk hunt club had this big debate on the merits of the hornady 190 grain vs the speer 200 grain 30 caliber bullets.
I do most of the hand loading of ammo, for most of the members and either bullet can be loaded to similar velocities.
these guys got a whole bunch of old wet phone books and did penetration tests because they were curious, concerning penetration, and just if your curious the hornady usually penetrated a bit deeper, the speer opened faster,
(btw both bullets are accurate)but the end result was over at least a decade of hunting both projectiles proved very lethal on elk, so it mattered not a bit what was used.I know, that in 30 plus years neither guy has killed an elk at over 300 yards, and regardless of which bullet is used,a good shot in the heart/lung area results in a dead elk.

Beings I live 15 minutes from the area I hunt elk for. And usually walk 10 plus miles a day at work ( field surveyor) I am all set in those areas. And I sleep in my own bed every night during elk season... wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk milk is the chit if you can get a steady supply.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Good points, 340.

But Loonies aren't wanting to hear logical discourse... shocked

DF

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Beings I live 15 minutes from the area I hunt elk for. And usually walk 10 plus miles a day at work ( field surveyor) I am all set in those areas. And I sleep in my own bed every night during elk season... wink

No need for you to die, you are already in heaven. Consider this an exemption. lol.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

No need for you to die, you are already in heaven. Consider this an exemption. lol.
LOL, I am lucky to be positioned here!
I guess I need to restate my original Question. If accuracy being the same , Would you use the Nosler Partition or the Barnes TSX. I have killed elk with a Shot raking from the last rib forward and it was plenty dead. That was with a 7x57 and a (GOD Forbid) Remington Corelokt. I am well aware either will kill an elk , I am just wondering why some would choose on over the other?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am just wondering why some would choose on over the other?
For the same reason that some would choose a brunette over a blond, a Ford over a Dodge, a 270 over a 308, etc. Personal preference whether any benefit can be proven or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
200 grain bullets will outperform 180 grain counterparts at point blank range as in under 50 yards and about 520 yards at 300 win mag stats. Monolithic ie Barnes will perhaps not express the frangebile energy at point blank. And they should penterate well but not produce as big of a hole. Not really much difference other than personal preference.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to go wrong with a partition. I prefer the 200 but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 180.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I killed my one and only elk with a 180-grain Partition in the Federal factory load, a friend told me to either use that or a Barnes TSX or TTSX in the 165-grain (may have been the 168-grain load, I don't remember). I picked the Nosler because he had a bunch of Barnes bullets that he had recovered from deer and elk, and my train of thought was that if he was recovering the Barnes from deer it might not give me the penetration that I want with an elk. Don't know if that's the right way to think, but it worked for me. Now for my next elk hunt I'm thinking of trying the Barnes bullets, just to use something different (and I do believe it will work just fine).

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of those listed, in no particular order:

Nosler Partitions, handloads or factory won't matter as long as they shoot well.

Barnes TTSX, not TSX.

For myself, Barnes TTSX, North Fork SS and Nosler AccuBond. Again, not necessarily in that order, as I tend to prefer the North Fork.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been using 180 gr Nosler E-tips.
The reason is that I came up with this load for a Bison hunt on the Elk Refuge and they were asking us to use non lead bullets. (didn't kill a bison) I bought some blems from Shooters Pro Shop for the same price as I'd have bought any other bullet anywhere, so why not? They're accurate and effective. They put this years cow elk down with one shot from 100yds in less than 50 feet. Last year's cow was spine shot so I won't count that towards performance.
My previous elk was shot with a 180gr PPU softpoint. It did the job as well. I was using them because they were cheap, accurate, and available.

If you don't "need" the solid coppers, I'd just use the partitions.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I think I am gonna stick with the 180 gr. Partition . Accurate and I never heard of a Partition not expanding. The Tsx's Shoot awesome but in the back of my mind I wish they expanded faster. The TTSX's are too long for my liking to fit neatly in the magazine.
I have a couple of bullets I dug out of my backstop. One partition and one TSX, The TSX hit a 1/2" piece of plywood and the came to rest in a mixture of sand ,dirt and gravel. It is expanded , but not near as much as the partition I have that I shot into a 15" cottonwood limb and then came to rest in the same dirt gravel sand bank. The TSX was further into the dirt but did not have to get through a tree to get to the dirt....
I can not figure out how to get pictures loaded on here . but the Nosler is text book for what a bullet should look like.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nosler Partition is never the wrong answer.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by hunting1

Only reason I questioned a change was a couple of groups with the TSX's averaged .6" at 100. The Noslers average about 1". so far.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hunting1

Only reason I questioned a change was a couple of groups with the TSX's averaged .6" at 100. The Noslers average about 1". so far.

For LR target shooting, maybe that difference in groups would show up. For general hunting, not an issue, IMO.

I agree that PT's are hard to beat. I've recently had good luck shooting mono-metals and think either would work.

DF

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.